• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special #1 is the more important book. (shrug) Don't get me wrong, Usagi #1 is also cool, but not as cool.. 

I agree. It reprints the albedo stuff, has new material, and is the first Usagi solo book. It predates #1 by half a year or more. Plus it has a cooler wrap around cover with ninjas and other long time characters. I think speculators are driving #1 up due to the Netflix show and haven’t really done their homework.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, Legion HQ said:

That Usagi Yojimbo 1 CGC 9.8 at ComicLink is up to $1700 now. Am I missing something? The previous high was $750 in November, and the handful of sales since then have come in under that in the $600s. (shrug)

Yep my mind was blown. 

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Wow,  what does that make a unrestored 6.0 worth?

Who knows at this point. The other two issues also sold: 9.4 for $11,872 (though this one was in an original red modern label, so upgrade potential when regraded is a possibility), and then a 9.0 sold for $7,100 (which is what makes the restored 6.0 seem so expensive...that was just under half of an unrestored 9 price!).

I’m guessing it being slightly more affordable and also the last one at auction out of the 3 might have given it a bump.

I meant to bid on the 9.0 but forgot. Hopefully some more go up for auction soon, it’s definitely a seller market right now.

I think for some books there seems to be a high floor these days that's not proportional to the price of high grade books.

Rather than being something like "it's $800 per point, so a 2.0 is $1600 and a 5.0 is $4000 and a 9.0 is $7200" it's more like "any copy in any condition is going to cost you at least $3000. And then, if it's above a 6, it's another $1500 per point on top of that." 

Just making up number here but I feel like I'm seeing that a lot more with keys recently across the board. Low grade books with prices that are much higher than you would expect given the cost of the same book in high grade. I think there are just a lot of people who want to own a copy in any grade and will buy the cheapest one they can get - so many of these people that there's a higher proportionate demand for low grade books. 

On 2/26/2021 at 10:50 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Alright, who bought that Albedo CGC restored 6.0 on click tonight for $3,000?
That comic was supposed to be mine for the sensible price of $2100, but nOooOoOoOO somebody just had to whip out their big boy wallet.

:D

Im sorry. it was me. I didn't know I put in for 3k for it.  lol.