• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, TSRose said:

First Post here.

Pulling out the collection after 38 years in storage. Here are my Albedo issues.

Have all three versions of the Blue cover #0.

The Albedo #2s have never been touched since the day they were cherry-picked out of the LCS shipping box and mylar'd in '84.

So, yeah, I was one of the 30-somethings who knew exactly what they were buying in 1984.

I bought an Eastman/Laird signed TMNT #1 1st print at the 1984 San Diego ComicCon and sold it in March 1990 right before the movie was released. Got $1200 for it. Thought I was robbing the guy (who's the fool now!?). But that sale convinced the wife to let me keep the rest of the collection all these years. WAF is important.

At that same time I unloaded my Love and Rockets #1. Who knew that even in Los Angeles the staples were gonna get rusty.

Have pretty much kept everything else all these years. As a follow-up I'll post my first run Usagi Yojimbo issues later in the appropriate thread.

Semper Fi - T.

Albedo Comics 001 x1920.jpg

BTW - the Albedo #1 is the dark red variant.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, TSRose said:

First Post here.

Pulling out the collection after 38 years in storage. Here are my Albedo issues.

Have all three versions of the Blue cover #0.

The Albedo #2s have never been touched since the day they were cherry-picked out of the LCS shipping box and mylar'd in '84.

So, yeah, I was one of the 30-somethings who knew exactly what they were buying in 1984.

I bought an Eastman/Laird signed TMNT #1 1st print at the 1984 San Diego ComicCon and sold it in March 1990 right before the movie was released. Got $1200 for it. Thought I was robbing the guy (who's the fool now!?). But that sale convinced the wife to let me keep the rest of the collection all these years. WAF is important.

At that same time I unloaded my Love and Rockets #1. Who knew that even in Los Angeles the staples were gonna get rusty.

Have pretty much kept everything else all these years. As a follow-up I'll post my first run Usagi Yojimbo issues later in the appropriate thread.

Semper Fi - T.

Albedo Comics 001 x1920.jpg

If you're interested there was a boardie buying them up, if selling, but I probably couldn't afford it as much as I wanted. Glad in your introduction post you mentioned the yojimbo Netflix, I still haven't gone past the first episode, but more importantly I'm glad it made your list! Me and @Wolverinex among others thought it would be made after the TMNT issues #47 with space usagi.

You're in good company and welcome to the boards! Nice books 😊

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My friend who I helped obtain his grail Albedo 2 recently, and had it signed by Sakai, now wants to sell it before it even is done being graded at CGC. Family life comes at your fast it seems (I live the DINK life though, so everyday I be spending)

Think I might just bite the bullet and buy it from him in order to keep it in the 'family' as it ain't like these are getting any less rare :D

edit: Took the plunge and bought his Albedo 2. Now to just sit back and see what grade it comes back as (still in 'received' on my CGC account)

Edited by Sauce Dog

Follow up to my above post; Book is now in hand after the signing (remained the same grade, which I'm happy for as I honestly expected a slight grade decrease) and looks aaammmaazzing in hand (no ugly color breaking creases or missing pieces, was only hit hard on grade due to stains that are only really obvious on the back cover). The inks really pop and the whites are nice and crisp.

Not sure how long I'll hold onto it, but for now I'm all in the Usagi fan club (read a slew of his series before this arrived in order to properly catch up and appreciate it)

albedo-2.thumb.jpg.dc0f92694227b77bb517205f7f2fca82.jpg

albedo-4.thumb.jpg.6a764c58ace67cc89d84bb0cf5076dca.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Follow up to my above post; Book is now in hand after the signing (remained the same grade, which I'm happy for as I honestly expected a slight grade decrease) and looks aaammmaazzing in hand (no ugly color breaking creases or missing pieces, was only hit hard on grade due to stains that are only really obvious on the back cover). The inks really pop and the whites are nice and crisp.

Not sure how long I'll hold onto it, but for now I'm all in the Usagi fan club (read a slew of his series before this arrived in order to properly catch up and appreciate it)

albedo-2.thumb.jpg.dc0f92694227b77bb517205f7f2fca82.jpg

albedo-4.thumb.jpg.6a764c58ace67cc89d84bb0cf5076dca.jpg

If In it was somewhat affordable I'd be all over it, but holidays and etc. Still a nice momento, sure your friend won't want it back?

On 10/19/2022 at 11:58 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If In it was somewhat affordable I'd be all over it, but holidays and etc. Still a nice momento, sure your friend won't want it back?

I told him if things change for him that he can buy it back from me for the same cost (well, adjusting for any inflation) and I plan to hold onto it at least until next year (or whenever I get an offer I cannot refuse, obviously), but it's 99.9% certain he won't ever be able to justify spending this amount on a comic again due to an ever growing family (but at least the hope is there).

On 10/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, Sauce Dog said:

That's right at my sweet spot - lower grade technically but looks great!  I'm still kicking myself for not trying to pick this one up ten years ago, but at that time, I thought the prices were too high.  How naive I was...

On 10/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, mathlete said:

That's right at my sweet spot - lower grade technically but looks great!  I'm still kicking myself for not trying to pick this one up ten years ago, but at that time, I thought the prices were too high.  How naive I was...

Sad spoiler: I think for the vast majority of us here prices are always going to be too high :D

On 5/3/2023 at 6:26 PM, Bronty said:

"3 covers exist"   - boy those label notes need to go back to the drawing board (zing).

Ha! Yeah, I'm tempted to write them with that request. I'm sure when they first created that label note twenty-some years ago, the history was more difficult to piece together, and this was just the easy way to go. But they really should distinguish more clearly between the various printings / batches, especially now that they can easily look up the specifics on their own forum boards, for pete's sake.