• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Wow!  Didn’t think this would go for half that.

D4BAB084-0FD6-4438-9915-7C9F7F925412.png

It's my fault. I sold my copy to you, so after I sell something that I have no more copies, prices skyrocket :) The same happened with Hulk 181 8.5 that I sold for $1050 and it doubled less than a year later and has almost doubled again now

If it had gone for half that, I would have been a happy camper, as my girlfriend was trying to get it for me for my birthday and was top bidder at $812 with 20 minutes left. And then... this happened. 

With the extensive scuffing on the front cover I didn't want to go any higher. But what do I know, apparently. 

55 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

If it had gone for half that, I would have been a happy camper, as my girlfriend was trying to get it for me for my birthday and was top bidder at $812 with 20 minutes left. And then... this happened. 

With the extensive scuffing on the front cover I didn't want to go any higher. But what do I know, apparently. 

Yeah, I am not sure what the bidders here were thinking. A CGC 9.4 sold for $1750 a little while back (that seller was not smart in making it a buy-it-now where it had been an auction), and this mid-grade raw copy sells for almost the same? 5 different bidders with over $1000 bids! (shrug) supply and demand I guess

16 hours ago, woregul said:

Yeah, I am not sure what the bidders here were thinking. A CGC 9.4 sold for $1750 a little while back (that seller was not smart in making it a buy-it-now where it had been an auction), and this mid-grade raw copy sells for almost the same? 5 different bidders with over $1000 bids! (shrug) supply and demand I guess

Don't feel too bad...I sold my 9.4 Hulk #181 for $2900 in 2015. Oh well.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:23 AM, woregul said:

That copy could have sold much higher, outlier recently, 7.5 and 8.0 sold very high recently as well. Solo cartoon series in the works only helps the demand for condition sensitive book that’s is scare in general. These prices will only clime! 

16 minutes ago, 1p36DSA said:

That copy could have sold much higher, outlier recently, 7.5 and 8.0 sold very high recently as well. Solo cartoon series in the works only helps the demand for condition sensitive book that’s is scare in general. These prices will only clime! 

That news would do it for the graded copies, but this mid-grade raw copy seems way too high for me. But I have seen when an announcement is first made, sales go pretty high soon after. 

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't feel too bad...I sold my 9.4 Hulk #181 for $2900 in 2015. Oh well.

I am actually happy on my Albedo2 sale and hope the new owner enjoys it. It's just funny how often when I sell, the same book climbs very quickly :) 

So Albedo 2 is now on my list of books to get sometime in the future -- or if a real deal shows up that I can grab. 

Woo hoo for a Usagi series! Sounds cool!

So, I’m a little jaded right now. I’m happy the book is taking off, but why must the well deserved price bump always be connected to a tv show or movie announcement. At the end of the day, it’s a good thing. It will bring fans to the book and character. Usagi rocks- there’s no one else like him. 

My goal is to meet Stan, while he is still doing conventions. I’ve seen it all too much recently- you wait and wait to see your favorite creator/artist and then BAM- no more shows for one reason or another. Of course, may those that have passed rest in peace. Well, if I have to take a West Coast trip sooner than later, then shall be it! Oh Laird, where art though Laird lol There are so many! 

Woregul, I hope you find a nice copy- Parabellum had been looking for so long, and is a real fan. Passing around the love is always a good thing. Sometimes it doesn’t feel that good initially, but it’s a good thing. I’ll keep a look out for you- or “we” will. 

17 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

So, I’m a little jaded right now. I’m happy the book is taking off, but why must the well deserved price bump always be connected to a tv show or movie announcement.

Entire religions are built around the excitement generated by fictional characters returning. :kidaround:

1 minute ago, spracknetch23 said:

Ridiculous to think I found an A2 in a $5 box once upon a time. Really wish I still had it. I almost bid on that lower grade one because I thought it would go low... but....wow...

I also found one in the early 2000's at a Shrine convention in LA - got it graded soon after with an old Red Label and it came back a 9.4.  I need to get it pressed and re-graded.  Should come back a 9.6.  Unfortunately, I think those days are gone of finding Albedo 2's in the wild for cheap.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:42 PM, SpideyFein said:

Woregul, I hope you find a nice copy- Parabellum had been looking for so long, and is a real fan. Passing around the love is always a good thing. Sometimes it doesn’t feel that good initially, but it’s a good thing. I’ll keep a look out for you- or “we” will. 

Hey SpideyFein, Thanks! I am in no rush but I will be on the lookout

So... I've been wanting one of these for quite a while, but until this year I didn't have the money for it. I have a complete run of Usagi Yojimbo, all three series, just working now on tracking down his earlier appearances in Albedo and Critters. 

Now that I have the money for a #2, though, I suddenly don't have the money for a #2!

:tonofbricks:

As I mentioned, I was one of the many (way) under bidders on the 6.0-ish #2 that sold last month for $1600 on ebay. In case you guys haven't been watching, another copy in that range - maybe slightly worse, even - appeared on ebay earlier this week and was purchased same day for a BIN of $2000. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALBEDO-2-NOV-1984-THOUGHTS-amp-IMAGES-STAN-SAKAI-1ST-APP-OF-USAGI-YOJIMBO-/162974803061?hash=item25f20e2475%3Ag%3AaRUAAOSw73NawDAe&nma=true&si=I3h%2BMapsK2csKiU95b1ZKBvNRLE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

:/

Yesterday, another copy was put up for sale. I'm guessing the high prices are convincing people to let go of their copies. This newest one is a CGC 7.0, and in one day it's already up to over $1200, with 5 days left. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Albedo-2-first-appearance-of-Usagi-Yojimbo-CGC-7-0/232723927937?hash=item362f6d5381:g:9coAAOSwAKlaxo9t

Just when I finally think I can get one of these, the market goes nuts. Why couldn't it have waited another few months to go crazy?!

:ohnoez:

Man, I hate TV/movie speculation. The same thing happened when I was in the market for a Strange Tales #110 to finish my Dr. Strange collection. Tripled in price in like 3 months, and I never got one. Bleah.  

Edited by Crimebuster

So, is there something fueling this?? I'm pretty blown away by these prices and was just wondering is there something pushing these numbers or is it simply a realization of the small print run and availability thus making a "price correction" similar to HOS 92?

Either way it's kinda crazy IMHO....