• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downloading Golden Age Comics

27 posts in this topic

I prefer to read my comics on my iPad (especially since Golden Age comics are too expensive to own physically).

Does anyone not think this is now the best way to read our comics.

I use the iPad app called Dime Comics as it has 1000s of comics in their catalog and I can download them with one button click.

Does anyone else have a better way to get comics on their devices?

Cool app thanks for sharing. I read almost all my books on my ipad. torrents are also a great way to find tough complete runs to read (you just might have to wait a while for the full download).

Their is a marvel unlimited app which gives you access to almost every marvel book. It's subscription based but worth it if you use it.

And here is a link to every warren publication ever printed. My favorite horror mags.

https://archive.org/details/warrenpublishing

I use iBooks on my MacBook Pro.

You can buy digital reprints of Action #1, Superman #1 and Batman #1.

If you want a more complete set of reading material, you can buy the Superman Chronicals and Batman Chronicals. You can read early Actions and Pre-Robin Tecs there.

on another note has anyone bought or used these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Fun-NPP-1936-94-issues-on-DVD-/181328782778?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a3809a5ba

I am trying to id some more fun pages but didn't know if this would be worth it or even how to use it...

James G

It's a DVD full of 64 page issues, loads into your computer and installs a reader so you can view them. Same concept like digital comic museum. The comics were contributed by collectors and filmed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Fun-NPP-1936-94-issues-on-DVD-/181328782778?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a3809a5ba

I am trying to id some more fun pages but didn't know if this would be worth it or even how to use it...

James G

It's a DVD full of 64 page issues, loads into your computer and installs a reader so you can view them. Same concept like digital comic museum. The comics were contributed by collectors and filmed.

Yea no it's not, this is what I got when I asked if the books were complete or not

"it varies - some SCANNED issues might be incomplete - especially golden age issues. no consistency on which pages might be missing. Also some issues of certain titles (I have dozens of scanned comic lots up on ebay) might only have one or two stories in them. - ex. some early Detective comics only have the Batman story included in the scan"

I could care less about most of the superhero stuff that is easy to find reprinted, it's the other stuff I want/need. If I bought this I would have been pissed when I saw all the missing content.

James G

I just checked it out and I like the look of DIME Comics iPad app. Can anyone verify if it is worth the $.99 cents to download? The screenshots look too good to be true. Can anyone give us a quick review?

This Dime Comics iPad app is definitely worth the .99 to download. You will love scrolling through thousands of beautiful Golden Age covers and then downloading any issue as easy as pushing a button. They are sorted by publisher and series (but you can view by genre, series, or just search).

You get 20 free downloads with your app. Unfortunately, you do have to buy more download points (1 point per issue), but they are not too expensive. I think .99 gets you 20 more issues and $3.00 gets you 75. I bought the unlimited downloads for $7 (as their app description put it, that is just the cost of 2 new comics at today's prices).

I can verify that they do update their online catalog very often. Right now they have over 3000 issues in the catalog and just last week they updated it and poof...about 100 of Will Eisner's SPIRIT newspaper inserts show up. How cool is that? How hard are those gems to find (I think I have never seen a physical issue at a comic convention in my life).

My favorite part is the ease of downloading. I hate downloading comics to my PC and then having to import them into my iPad. Dime Comics just streamlines everything.

Anyway, I tried all the other iPad vintage comics apps and they are not good. One of them asks you to pay .99 for every single issue!!! And another (I think clawcomics) streams a few issues that they break up the issues into separate stories (not good for reading off-line) and not a large selection.

I hope this review helps. Let me know if you want anything else reviewed :)

P.S. I used to read only silver age comics, but now I read only Golden Age!!

Downloaded the app. Seems well done and the issues I looked at have been nicely scanned. Main drawback is the limited number of titles available, partly I would guess because of copyright issues. No DC and no Timely being the biggest drawback.

James G

That seller is listing several DVD's of comics that are not in the public domain (DC, Marvel). Some of his DVD's are legal, many are not.

James G

That seller is listing several DVD's of comics that are not in the public domain (DC, Marvel). Some of his DVD's are legal, many are not.

I'm only interested in pre-code horror and are not DC or Marvel. I've noticed they are also on digital comic museum. Are those all public domain?

James G

I'm only interested in pre-code horror and are not DC or Marvel. I've noticed they are also on digital comic museum. Are those all public domain?

The issues on the Digital Comic Museum are public domain. They take great care ensure they only post legal, public domain issues. They're a great source for what you're looking for.

I see copyrighted material pop up from time to time on E-bay and it's usually only a matter of time before they are found and removed.

Enjoy the issues from DCM, it's great stuff!

The same is true for the Dime Comics iPad app. It has only public domain issues. Here is the iTunes link if anyone wants it:

Dime Comics on iPad

If you have an iPad, the big benefit is direct download and reading, unlike the websites where they must be downloaded to your computer to read or then later sync to iPad. Enjoy.

I have just release version 1.2 of DIME COMICS for iPad and it has many improved features. Please check it out. Our catalog is now over 4,300 issues and growing!!

Thanks to everyone who helped beta test!!

What's New in Version 1.2

1. Catalog Update now shows number of updated issues and a User Message.

2. Fixed cache imaging bug

3. Include READ button on catalog issues that are downloaded.

4. Allow upside down orientation

5. Improve response time switching between Publisher and Series catalog screens

I have just release version 1.2 of DIME COMICS for iPad and it has many improved features. Please check it out. Our catalog is now over 4,300 issues and growing!!

Thanks to everyone who helped beta test!!

What's New in Version 1.2

1. Catalog Update now shows number of updated issues and a User Message.

2. Fixed cache imaging bug

3. Include READ button on catalog issues that are downloaded.

4. Allow upside down orientation

5. Improve response time switching between Publisher and Series catalog screens

So, are you the developer of this app? Your most recent post sure makes it sound like that is the case.