• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comic Books Seen in Movies and Television Shows
11 11

571 posts in this topic

I had screen shots of the 11.22.63 show in another thread-- I think in the Silver Age forum. I can't remember exactly what thread it was but we came to the conclusion that the books were reproduction covers over current comics. But the dates of the books were somewhat accurate. You will notice there are only a handful of DC books that are repeated in both the rack and the wall display.

Didn't think about the news stand in the background while watching that scene from Better Call Saul - nice catch.

also worth checking out is this thread about comics in movies (placed here to avoid having to search for it as well in the future):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1022707&fpart=10

I had screen shots of the 11.22.63 show in another thread-- I think in the Silver Age forum. I can't remember exactly what thread it was but we came to the conclusion that the books were reproduction covers over current comics. But the dates of the books were somewhat accurate. You will notice there are only a handful of DC books that are repeated in both the rack and the wall display.

Didn't think about the news stand in the background while watching that scene from Better Call Saul - nice catch.

also worth checking out is this thread about comics in movies (placed here to avoid having to search for it as well in the future):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1022707&fpart=10

Yeah, it was odd to show three Flash books but zero Marvel books. There was a better shot showing the bottom of the spinner rack, but I was too lazy to take another screenshot.

There's also better shots of the wall in Better Call Saul but I didn't screen capture it.

Thanks for the link. I knew there was another thread but never looked for it.

Better Call Saul - S2/E7

saul_zpsggxtth3x.jpg

The Playboy is August 1973

Monsters on the Prowl #24- Aug 1973

Fantastic Four #137 - Aug 1973

JLA #106 - Aug 1973

Superman #266 - Aug 1973

MAD #160 - Jul 1973

Can't quite figure out what is between JLA and Superman -- DC is not my forte. One thing I have found with anything done by the creators of Breaking Bad and BCS is the attention to detail-- so having an accurate news stand rack along with time accurate products is not surprising. The only thing odd about the rack is how neatly organized it was not to mention how uncluttered/not overstuffed with books overlapping. That's how I remember those racks and how they are most of the time even today when I see them in the grocery store (my only non-LCS view of a periodicals display that I see anymore).

Yeah, it was odd to show three Flash books but zero Marvel books. There was a better shot showing the bottom of the spinner rack, but I was too lazy to take another screenshot.

There's also better shots of the wall in Better Call Saul but I didn't screen capture it.

Thanks for the link. I knew there was another thread but never looked for it.

here are the screen captures I did:

qNCoU12l.jpg

You can see the current comic under the Superman repro cover clearly here- and other books.

more...

O0fFYOhl.jpg

QV8K1HIl.jpg

Walking Dead has a bunch of comics that Kirkman created.

s04e01 Michonne hands Carl a bunch of comics, a copy of Invincible is on top.

OXfU2GYl.jpg

s04e11 There is a copy of Super Dinosaur #4 on the corpse of some kids.

sNezYdtl.jpg

s05 not sure which episode Enid is reading Invincible #45

V6msBXrl.jpg

s06e10 Carl is reading a copy of Invincible

V9siysQl.jpg

I don't recall all the episodes, but Jerry is seen reading issues of superman in Seinfeld a few different times.

Micah from Heroes is also seen being given a Silver Surfer #1 (1968) from a woman disguised as his mother to keep him busy.

A new Netflix special with Ricky Gervais (Special Correspondents) features a scene where they walk past a comic shop and look at an Amazing Spider #14

Sorry, couldn't find pictures from any of these scenes.

Edited by WilliamG.Staggers

just watched drugstore cowboy check out the comics!

Zell? Who's Zell?

and you have a 15 cent FF next to a 25 cent Defenders. sloppy set work imo.

lol