• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

I just started playing around.

Bought a vertical t-shirt press.

adjustable heat.

Set at 180 for 150seconds

sheet metal base.

non-contact paper on bottom & top.

Took out 6 MINOR non-color breaking spine ticks from a Sheltered #1 SE

9.4 to 9.8 canidate

I'll post video's for tips from anyone doing this.

A little late to the show larry, most of us press our own comics.

I like to use your regular run of the mill household Iron, the ones you use for shirts.

Only thing is that I keep leaving these triangular shaped burn marks on my books, but at least the creases are gone.

I dont press my own. My gf offered to do it with the iron, and i laughed and laughed... and then i realised she was being serious.... and I quickly hid my books...

Her heart is in the right place... but i'm worried her iron may not be.

but yes, i've had a couple of books pressed before grading because of small non-color breaking creases and folds and wavey covers. it's turned out well for me and my LCS guy is really good at know when and when not to press.

Gunnz

I tried once with an iron and while some of the creases did come out, I also burned the cover image onto the protective layer... lol

I haven't tried since and leave it to the pros. Now if I had the proper tools and took a class or two, I'd probably get into the business of funny books pressing! :insane:

Got it...

After all the angry PM's

Pressing techniques are a "secret"

I'll figure it out & post everywhere.

Screw them Larry... Why is there angry PM's and who is sending them? You're pressing your own books aren't you?

I just don't get the secrecy...... I guess some people get scared.

They cant expect to stay that way. The more money that is bringing the more people will use it. They days of only one or two people pressing comics are over.

Heck a local guy that used to write for Overstreet is now not only pressing books, but dry cleaning them as well. The days of this being some secret technique are just about over.

They cant expect to stay that way. The more money that is bringing the more people will use it. They days of only one or two people pressing comics are over.

Heck a local guy that used to write for Overstreet is now not only pressing books, but dry cleaning them as well. The days of this being some secret technique are just about over.

Exactly. I've tried three pressers in the past - all with good results.

There IS more than one. Although I've been crucified for mentioning more than one in the past.

Here is Larry's demo in a nutshell.

Larry opens the press.

Larry puts the book in the press.

Larry closes the press.

Larry turns on the press.

Larry cooks the book.

Larry turns off the press.

Larry lets the book cool.

Larry opens the press.

Larry takes the book out.

Larry looks at his work.

Larry sells the book or sends it off to CGC and then sells it.

No secrets here. Everything done is already documented on-line.

Let me know if I missed anything.