• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outcast - Kirkman & Azaceta

1,088 posts in this topic

I thought the second issue was better than the first. It really packed an emotional punch.

One thing I really liked was the pacing. I like how Kirkman allowed the artist to tell a lot of the story. Some of the panels without words were really powerful.

I'm intrigued and excited for this series. Kirkman just seems to be firing on all cylinders right now. It is a shame Marvel couldn't hold on to him…

Kirkman did an interview a couple of years ago where he described how he'd been treated at Marvel. IIRC, he described a ton of editorial interference, and attempts to get him to write stories 'the Marvel way'. :(

It's difficult to argue with the longevity of Marvel and how they made us love their characters for decades but I think they could learn a thing or 200 from Kirkman. Primarily that actions have consequences in both a positive and negative sense.

I thought the second issue was better than the first. It really packed an emotional punch.

One thing I really liked was the pacing. I like how Kirkman allowed the artist to tell a lot of the story. Some of the panels without words were really powerful.

I'm intrigued and excited for this series. Kirkman just seems to be firing on all cylinders right now. It is a shame Marvel couldn't hold on to him…

Kirkman did an interview a couple of years ago where he described how he'd been treated at Marvel. IIRC, he described a ton of editorial interference, and attempts to get him to write stories 'the Marvel way'. :(

Yeah, and next up in big reveals, 'water wet' :)

I mean, what would he expect exactly?

Maybe they'd just let him do his job as a writer & not micro-manage the talent? (shrug)

He wrote a few titles for Marvel: ULTIMATE X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR: FOES, CAPT. AMERICA, ANT MAN, THE DESTROYER and a Marvel Team-up type book.

I'm sure part of his going to Marvel was to be able to work with the characters he grew up reading as a kid, his name mass distributed on books going around the world (hopefully bleeding some of those fans to his Image work), the money, etc. Many creators work for the Big Two while producing work for the smaller publishers -- Image, Dark Horse, Dynamite & Avatar -- to get their names out to the public. To build an audience that reads your name and feels like their going to get their money's worth by picking your issue up this month.

Fact is he didn't know how it was going to be the way it was until he was in it. Some people take a job, see how things are actually run, and then decide never to work that industry again. I'm sure almost everyone, when they were younger, worked in some customer service type industry (McDonald's, Walmart, etc) just for the cash only to realize how emotionally draining & thankless it can be.

He had to experience that at Marvel before realizing 1) the headaches aren't worth it & 2) why give my best stories to creations I don't own?

He's been pretty successful between INVINCIBLE & THE WALKING DEAD. As soon as that TV Show hit, he was set for life. Other than Stan Lee & Mike Mignola, not many writers in comics can say that. Len Wein created Wolverine but I doubt he sees any of that cash (movies, toys, cartoons, t-shirts) going his way, which is why he moved to TV / Cartoons.

There's a reason Kirkamn made that video a few years back imploring writers and artists to create their own comics for Image, to be the owners of those creations and hopefully proft from it. Comics is a hard business but he's one of the examples where it literally changed his life and made a pop cultural impact on ours.

End of "slight" rantrant

That is funny because I feel like Invincible has more Marvel elements then Marvel books.

He wrote a few titles for Marvel: ULTIMATE X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR: FOES, CAPT. AMERICA, ANT MAN, THE DESTROYER and a Marvel Team-up type book.

That does remind me that his Ultimate X-Men run wasn't received well. People HATED it.

I don't remember thinking it was that bad though….

That is funny because I feel like Invincible has more Marvel elements then Marvel books.

+1

I thinks it's an over-the-top Marvel book but that's what I love about it. Wasn't a fan of his Werewolf comic, never read the dino book, SCIENCE DOG or BATTLE POPE. The first book I read of his was TECH JACKET. I then picked up & loved INVINCIBLE and it led me to WALKING DEAD. His Marvel THE DESTROYER mini-series rocked as well. Reminded me of his BRIT work.

Maybe they'd just let him do his job as a writer & not micro-manage the talent? (shrug)

I'm sure part of his going to Marvel was to be able to work with the characters he grew up reading as a kid, his name mass distributed on books going around the world (hopefully bleeding some of those fans to his Image work), the money, etc. Many creators work for the Big Two while producing work for the smaller publishers -- Image, Dark Horse, Dynamite & Avatar -- to get their names out to the public. To build an audience that reads your name and feels like their going to get their money's worth by picking your issue up this month.

Fact is he didn't know how it was going to be the way it was until he was in it. Some people take a job, see how things are actually run, and then decide never to work that industry again. I'm sure almost everyone, when they were younger, worked in some customer service type industry (McDonald's, Walmart, etc) just for the cash only to realize how emotionally draining & thankless it can be.

He had to experience that at Marvel before realizing 1) the headaches aren't worth it & 2) why give my best stories to creations I don't own?

He's been pretty successful between INVINCIBLE & THE WALKING DEAD. As soon as that TV Show hit, he was set for life. Other than Stan Lee & Mike Mignola, not many writers in comics can say that. Len Wein created Wolverine but I doubt he sees any of that cash (movies, toys, cartoons, t-shirts) going his way, which is why he moved to TV / Cartoons.

There's a reason Kirkamn made that video a few years back imploring writers and artists to create their own comics for Image, to be the owners of those creations and hopefully proft from it. Comics is a hard business but he's one of the examples where it literally changed his life and made a pop cultural impact on ours.

End of "slight" rantrant

I agree with most of what you're ranting here. I don't think he shouldn't have gone and seen what it was like for Marvel. I'd also be real surprised if he didn't have some idea of what was going to happen when he headed in.

Invincible is my favorite Marvel book as well.

Yeah, but the good Marvel... the one we rarely see anymore. :(

I remember when I read the first twenty or thirty issues, I had that same magical feeling of discovery I'd had reading the great Marvel runs of the 60s to the 80s.

Yeah, but the good Marvel... the one we rarely see anymore. :(

I remember when I read the first twenty or thirty issues, I had that same magical feeling of discovery I'd had reading the great Marvel runs of the 60s to the 80s.

:o Only old men like Dave like the 60s Marvels.......