• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most underrated golden age publisher?

11 posts in this topic

Which publisher from the Golden Age is the most underrated (undervalued)? My votes for MLJ's which have some killer covers featuring women in bondage, monstrous looking Nazk villains, all kinds of torture and some pretty cool heroes including the likes of Hangman, the Shield plus early Archie! I have been working on them for the last few years and they are much tougher to locate than Timely's or DC's

My vote goes to Centaur and it's forunner - Comics Magazine Co.

Centaur introduces the 1st Comic Book superhero - The Clock,

and the 3rd - The Arrow.

Most have incredible covers and art from Burgos, Everett, Biro, Eisner, early Kane art and more

Comics Magazine #1 has the first appearance of Dr.Mystic/Occult the Siegel/Shuster Superman prototype.

You owe it to yourself to check out some of these amazing books.

The Arrow was always my favorite and his covers in Funny Pages are just very cool.

I agree with Sean re: Centaur. A funny thing though. In my mind "Centaur" always brought a little more "Whoah" than Timely or DC. Maybe becuase of the commomality (relatively speaking) of the Timely/DC books. But Centaur did have some amazing books. Damn - now I am thinking of a Centaur Type Set to go with my pre-code type set.

Anoter company I nominate would be Fox. Fox, with a few notable exceptions like Phantom Lady and Blue Beetle, always seemed to be a notch below Ficiton House's popularity. But they had some real swells!

I collect Centaur as well but while the interiors by the all the Timely greats are very nicely done for the time period I find there covers a little slow for my lurid tastes. Fox books are great especially all the Lou Fine covers and the later issues of Mystery Men which have some great covers. I kind of dig esoteric Gold from almost any publisher as long as the cover is cool.

Centaurs do seem to be either overpriced or there is not a lot of interest as I see them at guide or discounted with exception of maybe Amazing Man 5 or is this just a my wrong perception of them?

Fox books are great especially all the Lou Fine covers and the later issues of Mystery Men which have some great covers.

I have a great affection for Dagar Desert Hawk. Killer covers but the Dagar stories themselves are often most tantalizing. And what's not to love about Safari Cary and Tangi? grin.gif

Over time I will accumulate a full run of Dagar.