• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rock as 'Hercules' - July 2014

123 posts in this topic

Good read!

Wow! This article made me realize a few things that I didn`t know about the movie.

1.That this Hercules movie is based on a modern comic book.

2.That it was published by Radical Comics, a comic book company I never heard of.

3.Steve Moore wrote it.

4.Steve Moore didn`t get paid for it. Was screwed out of money.

5. Steve Moore since has died. :(

6. Alan Moore continues to fight the good fight. (thumbs u

7. Unfortunately with all this new interesting info I now really will go out of my way to see this Hercules film which I think is the opposite effect that Alan Moore wanted. It`s just too interesting to pass up now.

8. I am going to also look for these Radical Comic Hercules comic books written by Steve Moore and other Steve Moore works.

Good read!

Wow! This article made me realize a few things that I didn`t know about the movie..

2.That it was published by Radical Comics, a comic book company I never heard of.

3.Steve Moore wrote it.

First post in the thread.

:baiting:

Based on the Steve Moore comics.

steve_moore.jpg

The Rock Becomes Hercules

And they definitely were doing a good job of keeping Dwayne Johnson's look a secret.

How Dwayne Johnson Kept 'Hercules' Look a Secret

1395604309001-3SneakPeek-HERCULES-MOV-jy-3497-.JPG

2dc3faf0-b39e-11e3-b8a9-ed1ecb43e069_Hercules_TeaserPosterBLUE_fin3Online.jpg

Good read!

Wow! This article made me realize a few things that I didn`t know about the movie..

3.Steve Moore wrote it.

First post in the thread.

:baiting:

Based on the Steve Moore comics.

steve_moore.jpg

The Rock Becomes Hercules

And they definitely were doing a good job of keeping Dwayne Johnson's look a secret.

How Dwayne Johnson Kept 'Hercules' Look a Secret

1395604309001-3SneakPeek-HERCULES-MOV-jy-3497-.JPG

2dc3faf0-b39e-11e3-b8a9-ed1ecb43e069_Hercules_TeaserPosterBLUE_fin3Online.jpg

doh!

Right in front of my eyes.

:)

doh!

Right in front of my eyes.

:)

:foryou:

I just found it a little funny, though not that there may be a situation that a comic creator could be out money if that is owed to his family.

:(

I really want to read these Steve Moore Hercules comic books now.

From what I gather it is Steve Moore`s best work.

hercules4.jpg

Ever since I posted that Hercules #1 at the beginning, I've been toying with getting the comics. I love reading about mythological and fable-based characters, and even have one of the Time-Life mythology series of books from the 80's that is just fantastic. So I'd like to see what Steve Moore did with the comics when it comes to Hercules.

But one of the classics will always be Steve Reeves.

11867-2.jpg

The info this board provides is top notch!

Saw a trailer prior to Dawn of the POTA (thumbs u ,recognized some of the music which is a rendition of Queens of the Stone Age's, No One Knows. Original song hold up well from 10+ yrs; mix was good for the trailer 2c ... wonder if it'll make the soundtrack.

Alan Moore protesting a comic book movie because it doesn't match the material to his liking? Shocking!

doh! Did you actually read the link?

Do you read even a quarter of the things you posted 60K (+) emoticons or 'That's cool' on?

But no. Not that article, because earlier before that while I was reading through different movie news this was mixed in with the other articles.

Brett Ratner's HERCULES Screwed Over Comic Creator & Removed Gay Elements

It had items like this in it, which comes across like the issue may not be the studio 100%, but rather the comic book company.

-----------------------------------

When I went down to see him a couple of week later, I said, “So, did you get any response from Radical about your e-mail?”. He said, “No, I didn’t. But I went away and dug out the contract, and it turns out that no, they don’t have to consult me and they don’t have to pay me the 15,000 dollars. That must have been in some earlier version of the contract as opposed to the one that I signed. So, I’m not getting anything out of this. The only thing I am glad of is that apparently they’re not putting my name on it. Because it sounds like it’s going to be idiotic mess”.

And then there was the concern with Hercules' male love interests.

Anyway, Steve was saying that this film sounded like it was going to be a complete abortion, that they’d dumped characters such as Hylas. That’s understandable in that Hylas was Hercules’ boyfriend. And that’s perhaps not what The Rock wants to bring to his tale of his Hercules. So, Steve wouldn’t be getting any money from this. The only consolation was that his name wouldn’t be going on it.

Now I have read a lot of mythology books over the decades. And sure, there is always the backstory (no play on words meant) about Greek culture supporting homoeroticism, or 'Greek Love' where it was assumed that a person would have both hetero and homosexual responses at different times.

But it was not a common theme how Hercules had male lovers, and that this was a critical part of his folklore to be told in order for the challenges of the 12 labors to be clearly outlined for readers. So why get excited over that topic - because it was in the comic book at some point?

I do think it is a shame a creator like Steve Moore didn't initially get recognized for what he had done. That's a shame!

However, after Steve’s death, you could see that someone had thought, “Oh, there’ve been a couple of obituaries in the press and there’s quite a lot of talk about this. We could perhaps get some publicity for our film. It’s not like we’re going to have to pay him any money”. So they started to put Steve’s name upon the credits.

But then to play it as a marketing campaign, where the studio is using this to get attention from the comic book market. I think more reseach has to happen before someone makes a believable statement like that.

I read everything I post a response on.

Sure you do. We'll go with that story.

lol Ok - you know better than me what I do, obviously.

Well, you assumed a lot about me with that stupid doh! post of yours.

lol

I read everything I post a response on.

Sure you do. We'll go with that story.

lol Ok - you know better than me what I do, obviously.

Well, you assumed a lot about me with that stupid doh! post of yours.

lol

You mean this post "Alan Moore protesting a comic book movie because it doesn't match the material to his liking? Shocking!"?

Which of course had nothing to do with what Alan Moore was saying.

Nick - all you had to do was say you hadn't read the link when you made that post lol

I know that you are better than that :foryou: