• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rock as 'Hercules' - July 2014

123 posts in this topic

Not a 5-star movie in the least. But it sounds like it is going to be a fun movie.

:wishluck: , I hope so, Brett Ratner's involvement had me a little skeptical and worried.

Same here. If not for Dwayne Johnson's involvement with this movie, I would have looked at something else.

Man, that guy has star power!

Absolutely, he's the only reason I saw the latest G.I. Joe film.

dwayne-johnson-captain-marvel.jpg

:wishluck:

And it sucked.

Sorry guys.. I really don't think the Rock is good for a Super hero movie. Maybe he could be a villain... not sure, but I just think he is way too branded and perceived as The Rock..rather than being an actor playing the role of the character.

But of course... I'll still watch Hercules.. and I'll still hope its good... despite my fears...and has the Rock really ever been in a really good movie?

It's not looking good for Hercules with this weekend's labor.

LUCY Is More Powerful Than HERCULES

-----------------------------

Paramount and MGM's Hercules will finish in second with $28M to $30M. It stars Dwayne Johnson in the title role. If the numbers stay about the same this will be the 8th best opening for a movie starring The Rock, just ahead of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ($27M opening). This will also mark the 3th best opening for a Brett Ratner-directed film just behind his original Rush Hour film, which opened to $33M in 1998. Audiencesseemed to enjoy the film more than Lucy as they gave it a 'B+' CinemaScore.

It's not looking good for Hercules with this weekend's labor.

LUCY Is More Powerful Than HERCULES

Paramount and MGM's Hercules will finish in second with $28M to $30M. It stars Dwayne Johnson in the title role. If the numbers stay about the same this will be the 8th best opening for a movie starring The Rock, just ahead of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ($27M opening). This will also mark the 3th best opening for a Brett Ratner-directed film just behind his original Rush Hour film, which opened to $33M in 1998. Audiencesseemed to enjoy the film more than Lucy as they gave it a 'B+' CinemaScore.

The other Hercules movie that just came out recently before this Hercules must be casting some doubt on this Hercules, similar to when Green Hornet came out just a few months before Green Lantern. The average moviegoer gets a tad confused and doesn't know the difference. This might affect the box office.

FORBES.COM: 'Hercules' Doesn't Deserve "No Press Screenings" Stigma

------------------------------

Brett Ratner’s Hercules is a perfectly solid action picture. It is well-acted by a game cast and the screenplay by Ryan Condal and Evan Spiliotopoulos (of course adapted from Steve Moore’s Hercules comic book) gives the likes of Ian McShane, John Hurt, and Rufus Sewell plenty of amusing things to do and say (yes, Hurt gets to pontificate and it is wonderful as always). The action sequences are well-staged and relatively creative. Because Ratner is somewhat old-school, the battles are cleanly shot and coherently edited. The film looks like every penny of its $110 million budget is onscreen, and it has a certain relaxed quality. It’s not quite 100 minutes, but it never feels rushed and it never feels like story chunks were cut out for the sake of the lean running time. And the film feels wide, with not an ounce of visual claustrophobia.

------------------------------

Ouch!

‘Hercules’ Flick Fails To Impress American Audiences

----------------------

It’s not just a slew of heavy hitters opening against the mythology-based film that had audiences staying at home. A Rolling Stone review of the film says that this Hercules version, based on a graphic novel by Steve Moore, really had a shot at creating something great, but missed the mark by including too much CGI and more brawn than brain. “Cue the battle scenes with Hercules conquering soldiers in body paint and a lineup of computer-generated creatures that turn the screen into a wash of pixels and the mind to mush,” the review says. “Audiences, we’ve been had.”

“If you want to see a faithful interpretation that treats the legend of Hercules with reverence, stay far, far away from this particular rendition of Hercules,” another review from The Indian Republic claims. “The Rock as Hercules is distracting. The Rock is just a larger than life persona.”

----------------------

:eek:

It turns out the site that quotes Box Office Mojo on these numbers got something WAY wrong.

Hercules (2014)

I went to check the latest numbers, and neither the domestic or international box office matches what was shown.

Domestic Box Office: $56,866,391 (50.2%)

International Box Office: $56,500,000 (49.8%)

-----------------------------------------------------

Worldwide Box Office:$113,366,391

:facepalm:

Oh, Rock. How did you get roped into another Brett Ratner fiasco?

Yup. I just checked Boxoffice.com as well to verify those numbers. It ain't good.

Hercules (2014)

Total Budget*: $140,000,000

Opening Weekend: $29,800,263

Total Domestic Gross: $56,866,391

----------------------------------------

Worldwide Gross: $113,166,391

I saw it a few weeks ago. It was no Oscar award winner, but it was a good popcorn flick.

On the entertainment gauge I give it 7/10.

I saw it a few weeks ago. It was no Oscar award winner, but it was a good popcorn flick.

On the entertainment gauge I give it 7/10.

+1

I enjoyed it. It's an interesting take on the Hercules legend and "The Rock" plays it well.

I'm a pretty big Greek mythology buff, and somewhat of a purist. I apologize ahead of time as most of you probably don't care, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Granted I havent seen the movie yet so they may have got it right however I'm willing to bet they didn't. There is no such character as Hercules in Greek Mythology!

Hercules is Roman, not Greek! Although it is widely accepted, it is technically not correct. The correct name would be Heracles, or even more correctly, Herakles. Heracles was the son of Zeus who as you may know whas quite the ladies man and got around a lot.....a whole lot. Her was his sister-wife as was common back then and Hera has this rep of being a supreme Bee-otch. Any woman would be if they were married to Zeus. Well Zeus kinda sorta wanted to "apologize" to Hera for his constant philandering and named his Demigod child, Heracles, which loosely means Glory be to Hera to honor her. Didn't really work out for the poor guy as Hera was the mastermind behind the 12 labors and all that other stuff.

thank you for reading my imprompotu History lesson, if you already knew congrats, if not impress your friends and family.

thank you for reading my imprompotu History lesson, if you already knew congrats, if not impress your friends and family.

I was aware, and get where you are coming from. But whenever referring to the character, if they started calling him 'Heracles' in a movie, I wonder how many would come away from a movie feeling like they just got dooped because the character was doing things Hercules did in other movies.

:ohnoez:

I was aware, and get where you are coming from. But whenever referring to the character, if they started calling him 'Heracles' in a movie, I wonder how many would come away from a movie feeling like they just got dooped because the character was doing things Hercules did in other movies.

:ohnoez:

Yep, and there in lies the issue. Oh well it is what it is.

Finally saw this on demand Comcast. I liked it. Although more violent then your average blockbuster flick. It compliments the Thor movies real well. I like to see a Hercules sequel. :wishluck:

I had the same reaction to this movie. It had an interesting twist in the end on why Hercules' family was murdered, and even on whether or not he was truly a demigod.

Ian McShane as Amphiaraus definitely had some funny lines throughout, and Joseph Fiennes as King Eurystheus was one nasty SOB.

Finally saw this on demand Comcast. I liked it. Although more violent then your average blockbuster flick. It compliments the Thor movies real well. I like to see a Hercules sequel. :wishluck:

I had the same reaction to this movie. It had an interesting twist in the end on why Hercules' family was murdered, and even on whether or not he was truly a demigod.

Ian McShane as Amphiaraus definitely had some funny lines throughout, and Joseph Fiennes as King Eurystheus was one nasty SOB.

.... you going to the Richmond show this weekend, old man ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lol

Unfortunately, not this time around. I'm watching the kids so my wife can get some time to herself.

But maybe next time.

lol

Unfortunately, not this time around. I'm watching the kids so my wife can get some time to herself.

But maybe next time.

Wait, you're going to miss a con just so you can watch over the kids? How dare you be a responsible parent. :sumo: