• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the most overgraded cgc 9.4 ever?

129 posts in this topic

So, what's the consensus on this. The book is a 9.4 with an errored label that should read 8.5 or the book is a 9.4 in the wrong slab.

I think the consensus is that it's a gift grade on a book notoriously known for gift grading because...CGC.

And the other consensus is that it sucks.

:tonofbricks:

counterpoint: the dd7 seems to me like it has rich cover inks and gloss. It could be one of those books that is glowingly nice but has a couple spine tics and thus deserving of the 9.4.

Or it might be an overgrade. But I don't personally see enough in that scan to really say one way or the other, but I'd rather have a book that really pops with a couple spine tics than a dead book with a perfect spine.

Bronty, providing the benefit of the doubt is a nice sentiment, but the evidence in the muted scan seems pretty damning.

The book does have some fabulous qualities to it, and would be a great 8.5 copy to have. But the spine ticks, and the CBC, are just ridiculous for a 9.4.

CGC have really dropped the ball here.

Calling that DD #7 an 8.5 is ridiculous - it looks like a soft 9.4, but it's also a book that in general gets graded softly due to the numerous & widely-known production defects displayed on each & every copy of this book.

The TOS, however, looks like *spoon*.

Truth. The DD7 is not an 8.5. Maybe a soft 9.4 but definitely not an 8.5. Scan sucks though. The TOS = :facepalm:

He most of know some players to get that high grade..

Yeah that surely must be it :ohnoez:

I was gonna :popcorn: that comment.....

counterpoint: the dd7 seems to me like it has rich cover inks and gloss. It could be one of those books that is glowingly nice but has a couple spine tics and thus deserving of the 9.4.

Or it might be an overgrade. But I don't personally see enough in that scan to really say one way or the other, but I'd rather have a book that really pops with a couple spine tics than a dead book with a perfect spine.

Bronty, providing the benefit of the doubt is a nice sentiment, but the evidence in the muted scan seems pretty damning.

The book does have some fabulous qualities to it, and would be a great 8.5 copy to have. But the spine ticks, and the CBC, are just ridiculous for a 9.4.

CGC have really dropped the ball here.

I agree. Based on the scan, it does look like it could have incredible colors (and wet inks :cloud9:). However, as you say, there are just too many defects for 9.4 (even soft) to be the grade.

Color breaks, soft corners, writing on cover. 8.5-9.0 is probably correct. A 9.2 would be a gift.

The spine stresses fit into a 9.4. We've seen the exact same thing in multiple grading contests. It shouldn't be news to anyone who has been paying attention.

The upper right-hand corner looks consistent with damage done during slabbing or after it was slabbed. Pretty clear the book doesn't warrant the grade or the Schmell hyperbole at this point.

Unbelievable-I never knew that..CVA...this puts a whole new spin on things. I don't know where to begin....

The spine stresses fit into a 9.4. We've seen the exact same thing in multiple grading contests. It shouldn't be news to anyone who has been paying attention.

The upper right-hand corner looks consistent with damage done during slabbing or after it was slabbed. Pretty clear the book doesn't warrant the grade or the Schmell hyperbole at this point.

(thumbs u