• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re. 15-day Standard Coupon

18 posts in this topic

Background:

I've got some questions about when to use this coupon.

I just bought a Walking Dead Collection (issues 1-100 with most of the variants), and I'm guesstimating that Issue #1 is about 9.0-9.2 before a press. The book isn't really "worn" per se, no color-breaking problems. But somewhere along the line, it caught two gnarly V-shaped creases near the bottom of the back cover, coming off of the spine about 1/2" up from the bottom. Can't see a single thing on the front, and it didn't break color anywhere. That's the main detractor from an otherwise beautiful book.

So, I think the FMV comes in right under the $1,000 Standard FMV limit.

I plan on dropping the $60 to pressing this one, hoping it will iron out the problem on the back to a 9.4 level or maybe even an outside chance at a 9.6.

#2 is better but still not 9.8 in my eyes, perhaps 9.4, and the Michonne issue also appears to have been opened a time or two, and I'd say 9.2. Governor issue looks flat out mint. I can't see a single thing wrong with it.

Enough about the books.

Questions:

I want to use my annual Standard coupon on these books, and my LCS owner advised against it. His theory: He says NEVER to use your coupon on truly nice books, because he's convinced they won't get as good of a grade as a standard submission that's bought and paid for. I consider this to be a conspiracy theory, but I heard some similar rumblings at a recent con, so I figured I'd get some opinions here!!

Another reason I'm hesitant to use my coupon on the WD #1 in particular is that if the $60 press does pull off a miracle and eliminate or greatly reduce those wrinkles, I don't want that FMV ceiling to get in the way of a 9.6, which would put it at a bit over $1K. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

#1 won't have an issue for the $1000.

The rest sounds like conspiracy and I did similar to you just about a year ago (1,2,19,27).

Though now I wouldn't recommend #2,19,27 unless you thought they were 9.4+ (9.6+ for 27). Would find some other books as those 3 can likely go economy and save the 3 other subs for books worth 300-1000.

FMV is sort of up to you to declare, if you put $900 for a twd 1 they won't mind as the range of the book falls right around there, now if you tried to put a 4.0 AF 15 they will contact and bump it up.

His theory: He says NEVER to use your coupon on truly nice books, because he's convinced they won't get as good of a grade as a standard submission that's bought and paid for. I consider this to be a conspiracy theory, but I heard some similar rumblings at a recent con, so I figured I'd get some opinions here!!

Think about this conspiracy theory for a minute.

1. Who uses a coupon? Usually someone making their first personal submission.

2. What effect would CGC deliberately undergrading coupon submissions have? It would make new CGC members less likely to submit again.

Last time I checked, CGC wants people to submit books for grading.

The conspiracy theory is not only stupid; it's flat out against the best interests of CGC.

FMV is for raw book, not after the book graded so your coupon is good for all WD issues.

Coupon goes to accounting department for billing purposes, don't think graders will see if his/her books submitted by coupon or whatever the tier is. Just look at all 4 copies of the submission form printed out, only 1 has the billing details that includes coupon information and it goes to accounting, the other 3 forms just list of books.

His theory: He says NEVER to use your coupon on truly nice books, because he's convinced they won't get as good of a grade as a standard submission that's bought and paid for. I consider this to be a conspiracy theory, but I heard some similar rumblings at a recent con, so I figured I'd get some opinions here!!

2. What effect would CGC deliberately undergrading coupon submissions have? It would make new CGC members less likely to submit again.

The conspiracy theory is not only stupid; it's flat out against the best interests of CGC.

+1 for good sense. LCS owner is way off base on that one.

This is great information all around, and flawlessly logical. Thanks for the replies, I'm so relieved!!

As for my LCS owner, he was pissed about some grades he got on some books, and he's generally anti-CGC in general. As for me, obviously I love 'em!

Here's a logical reason why coupon books may be graded lesser than other submissions. Coupon books tend to be a person's first individual submissions. This means they are still at the beginning of learning CGC's grading. A person just starting out is far more likely to overgrade a book then someone who has made multiple submissions.

I agree. Think logically. If anything, they would deliberately grade it higher.

They want you to come back. I think those grumblings and rumors are due to unrealistic expectations of what the grade "should have" been.

Anyone know the policy on purchasing multiple memberships? Is it one per address or just per customer? I bought one already and am waiting for my coupons, if my wife wanted to buy a membership and use coupons for her books, could CGC say no because we're registered at the same address? Whats the policy?

Anyone know the policy on purchasing multiple memberships? Is it one per address or just per customer? I bought one already and am waiting for my coupons, if my wife wanted to buy a membership and use coupons for her books, could CGC say no because we're registered at the same address? Whats the policy?

Should probably call them to find out.

I will be shocked if CGC cares how many memberships per household. For that matter, if you wanted them for your kids as well. Every membership earns them business, and even if they break even on the 4 coupon submissions, which they don't, they make money, why would they not want more people possibly submitting books for grading? Not to mention, it is much better to advertise MORE members than LESS members, even if some of them are not really participating members.

From CGC:

It is one coupon for the four books and its one per address or person, so your wife cannot also be a member and you cannot use a different address to get another coupon. 

This had always been the rule but we used to be a little lax on enforcing it and would have allowed your wife for instance until one guy used his home and work address, then his wife and I am assuming his children to get like 4-5 coupons. We now check when we get coupons to see if someone is trying to get around the rules and actually caught another guy last week.

.... it is #7 on the membership agreement, found at the link below. 

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/join/memberagreement.aspx

I think I've submitted 8 books with coupons. Just about every book came back in my projected grade. One book however ended up going 3 grades higher than I expected. So I say to thee nay that any shady grading results from coupon submissions.