• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

353 posts in this topic

I've never read it.

Interesting. Are you familiar with the creator, longtime Mad Magazine contributor Sergio Aragones? I used to go through my back issues just to make sure I had seen all of his tiny Mad Marginal drawings.

Groo was a send up of Conan the Barbarian, only Groo was completely inept; he would kill an entire army and realize it was the good guys. Thing like that. He loved cheese dip and people who bothered him were mendicants. Limited vocabulary, limited intelligence, but pretty funny.

If you were a Mad fan, it wasn't a long leap to being a fan of Groo.

(thumbs u

I've never read it.

If you were a Mad fan, it wasn't a long leap to being a fan of Groo.

(thumbs u

I liked mad well enough as a kid but honestly I far prefer Groo to Mad.

I'm laughing just from reading the wikipedia description. Brings to mind so many stories :)

--

Groo (the epithet "the Wanderer" is informal and rarely mentioned within the stories) first appeared as a parody of the brutal sword & sorcery heroes who were popular at the time of his creation in the 1970s, especially Conan the Barbarian as presented in Marvel Comics. Groo is an ugly large-nosed buffoon of unsurpassed stupidity who constantly misunderstands his surroundings. Possessed of superlative skills in swordsmanship (the only task at which he's remotely competent) he delights in combat but otherwise is a peaceable and honest fellow who tries to make his way through life as a mercenary or by working odd jobs. He is incredibly accident-prone, and despite generally good intentions causes mass destruction wherever he goes. Most of his adventures end with him oblivious to the mayhem he has wrought, or fleeing an angry mob. His penchant for destruction has become so widely known that just the news of Groo approaching is sometimes enough to cause chaos among the population. Groo occasionally meets with respect and good fortune, but it does not last. Businesses, towns, civilizations and cultures have all been unwittingly destroyed by Groo.

I'm laughing just from reading the wikipedia description. Brings to mind so many stories :)

--

Groo (the epithet "the Wanderer" is informal and rarely mentioned within the stories) first appeared as a parody of the brutal sword & sorcery heroes who were popular at the time of his creation in the 1970s, especially Conan the Barbarian as presented in Marvel Comics. Groo is an ugly large-nosed buffoon of unsurpassed stupidity who constantly misunderstands his surroundings. Possessed of superlative skills in swordsmanship (the only task at which he's remotely competent) he delights in combat but otherwise is a peaceable and honest fellow who tries to make his way through life as a mercenary or by working odd jobs. He is incredibly accident-prone, and despite generally good intentions causes mass destruction wherever he goes. Most of his adventures end with him oblivious to the mayhem he has wrought, or fleeing an angry mob. His penchant for destruction has become so widely known that just the news of Groo approaching is sometimes enough to cause chaos among the population. Groo occasionally meets with respect and good fortune, but it does not last. Businesses, towns, civilizations and cultures have all been unwittingly destroyed by Groo.

lol

Poor Groo!

At one point, there was work on a movie. I'm not sure if it would go over as well as the comics. But if they could pull it off (a la 'Your Highness'), that would be incredible!

--

I wouldn't be surprised if Evanier wrote that... ;)