• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

353 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 6:23 AM, MAR1979 said:

New and Official:

https://groo.com/

Very nice!  Outstanding!  :golfclap:

From the "Groo Timeline":

"First Drawing of Groo Appears Publicly on the Cover of Scene Magazine

A family friend of Sergio's from Mexico City was attending California State University at Northridge, taking a journalism class, and had the idea to interview Sergio for the Journalism School's magazine, Scene. During the interview Sergio drew himself at his drawing board and some characters, including Groo, and that drawing was used as the cover. There is also a sketch of Groo in the magazine with the article."

That's cool--would love to see that magazine!

On 7/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, jick said:

Wow what took Groo so long

Steve W used to handle some of this stuff for Sergio.

His daughter Christen does it now, and I believe the website and some other projects have been her initiative.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, Roo_Phillip said:

Very nice!  Outstanding!  :golfclap:

From the "Groo Timeline":

"First Drawing of Groo Appears Publicly on the Cover of Scene Magazine

A family friend of Sergio's from Mexico City was attending California State University at Northridge, taking a journalism class, and had the idea to interview Sergio for the Journalism School's magazine, Scene. During the interview Sergio drew himself at his drawing board and some characters, including Groo, and that drawing was used as the cover. There is also a sketch of Groo in the magazine with the article."

That's cool--would love to see that magazine!

Here is a pic. There are only maybe 5 to 10 in existence. 5 that we know of where they are. Most were destroyed in the '88 earthquake.

sgT4pXn.jpg

Edited by wolvergeek

I just saw one of those youtube channels where the high Destroyer Duck #1 comps were discussed. That issue is really starting to hit many people's radars.

But don't sleep on Groo Pacific #1 as that's Groo's first cover appearance. A Groo fan or CGC displayer would want Groo to be on the cover rather than just a random duck right? 

I'm not saying Groo 1 will approach, much less eclipse, Destroyer Duck but it should be in demand. I actually see less graded Groo 1 comics on ebay that graded Destroyer Ducks.

After checking the latest Groo media blitz, it's starting to look like the prices for Destroyer Duck #1 are not undervalued and might probably be too high.  Groo seems to get more niche and niche over the years based on these observations of metrics as of today August 24, 2021:

1.Instagram - 214 followers

2. Twitter - 218 followers

3.  Facebook - 126 people "like" and 153 who "follow"

4.  YouTube - 87 subscribers, most viewed video is only 310 views

In the most recent video, Mark and Sergio have admitted they are very "possessive" about Groo.  They also said that ever since day one, they have gotten offers for Groo animations but they have always turned them down.  I guess they have been turning down offers for at least the last 30 years (Groo turns 40 next year).

Sergio was also ranting against collected editions - singling out Omnibus versions of books which are just too thick for bathroom reading and somewhat implying that he thinks all collected editions will be going that way.  In short, no new reprints or re-releases coming in the pipeline.

Hence, Groo social media metrics are bad, and it seems the creators are not interested in doing things (animated series, collected editions) that will introduce Groo to a new audience.

What do you guys think? How will this affect values of the key books?

On 10/4/2021 at 6:49 AM, Microchip said:

Do you still have them?   Is there more now?? (worship)

Still have them, thx, along with 10-15 eclipse specials and at least one copy of basically everything else .   The #1s and eclipse specials were all from a single seller .

Edited by Bronty

On 10/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, Bronty said:

Still have them, thx, along with 10-15 eclipse specials and at least one copy of basically everything else .   The #1s and eclipse specials were all from a single seller .

I love Groo as well, but stopped at the big three issues in CGC 9.8.    Why it's never been syndicated is beyond me, if there was ever a perfect series/character made for animation this was it.   Now it's all ruined by the letter T on google now.

Still the best series in it's genre hands down.