• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

353 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2020 at 7:52 PM, Bronty said:

Thread needs a bump .   Bought these as a lot a couple years ago

3B76114C-3A80-4E45-BF2E-2C00D90E2008.jpeg

F147E44D-B7BA-49A9-B1F5-59AF83584E35.jpeg

Definitely a good pickup if you managed to get the lot at a reasonable price, but still nowhere close to the steal of a deal that this buyer was able to get when he acquired 18 copies of this book here:  :whatthe:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Chamber of Chills #19 - Multiple File Copy Group (Harvey, 1953) Condition: Average GD/VG.... (Total: 18 Comic Books)

Especially since they managed to pick up up the lot for only a measly $418.25 back in 2009 and now even beater copies of this book is selling for thousands of dollars.  :flipbait:

On 11/13/2022 at 11:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely a good pickup if you managed to get the lot at a reasonable price, but still nowhere close to the steal of a deal that this buyer was able to get when he acquired 18 copies of this book here:  :whatthe:  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Chamber of Chills #19 - Multiple File Copy Group (Harvey, 1953) Condition: Average GD/VG.... (Total: 18 Comic Books)

Especially since they managed to pick up up the lot for only a measly $418.25 back in 2009 and now even beater copies of this book is selling for thousands of dollars.  :flipbait:

I paid two bucks a book.   Not even so much because I wanted 50 copies, but because there was no way I wasn't buying them for the hundred bucks when I came across them.    I love that book.

Congrats on your chamber of chills buy, very nice at 20 or 25 a book.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/14/2022 at 10:20 AM, MAR1979 said:

Destroyer Duck1 now under $600 in 9.8, $500 threshold to be tested next.   My opinion is it will be a $300-$375 book in 3-6 months, which may be is going rate for a while.  I do not think it will drop further. Look for Pacific #1 to ride the downward coattails to find its new level as well.

Groo price levels falling to where they probably should have organically been all along is good news as Groo will be working its way in the hands of true collectors.  Speculators and Flippers had their day one year ago after the nothing burger news of animation exploration rights, but now those days are gone. Long Live Groo!

Amen!  Just saw an eBay sale for $565.55 in an open auction for Destroyer Duck 1 CGC 9.8.

I sure hope the Groo Pacifics will drop too so I can hoard on them even more.  Right now they are at $280 in CGC 9.8 without any takers.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bronty said:

Congrats on your chamber of chills buy, very nice at 20 or 25 a book.

Not my pickup as I would never ever be that lucky, but just something that I remember from another boardie who had posted this info here.  (thumbsu

Then again, you make your own luck and as such, these 18 COC 19's would never have been mine since I never buy more than 2 of any book, and even then, only if it was a first issue off the shelf of the LCS.  :frown:

On 11/15/2022 at 12:46 AM, jick said:

Amen!  Just saw an eBay sale for $565.55 in an open auction for Destroyer Duck 1 CGC 9.8.

I sure hope the Groo Pacifics will drop too so I can hoard on them even more.  Right now they are at $280 in CGC 9.8 without any takers.

Groo is settling back to full niche status!

Supply now vastly exceeds demand. My guess is if a Pacific #1 came up for standard auction and was not manipulated would currently sell for $150-$175. Auction Manipulation (legal or not) works great during a bubble or upturn when nearly everything is in demand, simply does not work in bear market.  There are so many comic books out there and now significantly less buyers and dwindling every day.

Most Comic book sellers from what I've seen over the years do not understand economic principles.  Those without proper knowledge of the principles and associated actions will be in for very lean times. Those with the true business acumen who realize things like cash flow is king will get by just fine.

Throw your GPA, "gocollect", etc for the past 2 years out the window , the times they are a changin'.

P.S.
Sellers: think cash flow not theoretical max profit per item. If you do not understand or agree with that take some business and economic courses - seriously.

Edited by MAR1979

With so much CGC 9.8 Groo #1 Pacific and DD#1 on the Bay, what price do you think will be the fair or low price where one can have the go signal to just get them all?  I think it's still too high now.  I mean if DD #1 were less that $200, I'd probably grab them all...

On 12/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, jick said:

With so much CGC 9.8 Groo #1 Pacific and DD#1 on the Bay, what price do you think will be the fair or low price where one can have the go signal to just get them all?  I think it's still too high now.  I mean if DD #1 were less that $200, I'd probably grab them all...

Right now DD1 copies sit ice cold and unsold on eBay at $500-$600 .

My opinion is DD1 will nestle for the long haul in the $275-$350 range sometime in the next 12 months.   Groo #1 I feel will settle in $140-$180 range.  

Investing in a property that has returned to its niche status I do not feel wise. A copy or so for a collector is great but as an investment it does not fit the bill. Learn from those who got stung on DD1 and spend the money on something with greater maximum upside than niche. 

The "rubes" "suckers" "fools" "mendicants" "moe rons" who spent 1k, 1.5k, 2k during the pandemic bubble + nothing burger animation exploration rights will not return to prop up the price of something that never should have approached $500 in the first place.

Have money to spend on Groo think original art!

Edited by MAR1979

^DD1 was very much a collectors direct sale only book from the getgo, although that was for other factors not Groo. 

The cover price on DD1 was rather high for its time. Most collectors bagged and boarded from day 1

While i do not know the print run numbers i do know they were high. I know of several dealers in the early 90s who had longboxes full of DD1.

The book sits now unsold at under $500 due to low interest and continually rising 9.8 supply. Sellers are too scared to offer it as a standard auction as it will likely fail to crack $300. Same for Pacific Groo 1 but lower that amount to $195.

Groo as you said is niche. In OA that is not an issue but for comics its everything. The nonsense announcement end of 2021 caused the DD1 to spike to amounts it will not sniff again in our lifetimes. The rubes that paid those lofty sums have exited the hobby

Edited by MAR1979

Part of the issue with the high number of DD 1s on the market is a board member in Manitoba cleaning out the left over stock from an old school comic store owner just a short while ago. Let's just say there were long boxes with DD 1s, a ton of TMNTs #2-10 (long boxes full of 1st and various printings), Batman 423s, etc that are now hitting the market. It was a fantastic copper age hoard for him to find. (worship)

Edited by kimik

Fun!

Here are mine:

1) Groo #1 Pacific - for all the reasons you stated

2) Groo #1 Marvel - start of, as you said, the best Groo run

3) Destroyer Duck #1

From there, for me, its all about the first appearances of all the cool ancillary characters:

4) Groo #20 - first app of my favorite supporting characters, Arba and Dakarba

5) Groo #29 - first Rufferto

(first appearances of Arcadio, Sage, Pal n Drumm, and all the rest would round out a top ten for me).

On 8/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, Bronty said:

Fun!

Here are mine:

1) Groo #1 Pacific - for all the reasons you stated

2) Groo #1 Marvel - start of, as you said, the best Groo run

3) Destroyer Duck #1

From there, for me, its all about the first appearances of all the cool ancillary characters:

4) Groo #20 - first app of my favorite supporting characters, Arba and Dakarba

5) Groo #29 - first Rufferto

(first appearances of Arcadio, Sage, Pal n Drumm, and all the rest would round out a top ten for me).

Sage was Groo #1 Pacific so you are covered

On 5/30/2022 at 9:53 AM, pippip said:

One of the 3 Destroyer Duck #1's at CGC 9.8 for $1,700 on eBay has just sold as Best offer accepted.

www.ebay.com/itm/284652902402?hash=item4246a29802:g:QV8AAOSwWnViCeNC

Wonder what the offer was?

16 months later and earlier today on eBay a nice 9.8w with what looked to be a perfect wrap failed to even garner $340.

While still above 2019 levels, as i predicted and have mentioned in past, the whole animation exploration rights nonsense always was and remains a true nothing burger.

The Great News is current DD1 FMV is now more inline with the budgets of many more True Groo Collectors/fans rather than mendicant flippers and speculators. Cheese Dip for all!

Edited by MAR1979

Overstret Price Bulletin Winter 1988 - brings me back to my youth :)  

Groo Special #1 is online with current census numbers as with "only" 65 it has the lowest 9.8 population of any of the 1980's Groo #1's

"H" meant hot, which back in the day meant my LCS would quickly boost price above guide on those. 

image.png.143f7eb97d0446462589ca2cac1fef29.png

image.png.a04260a7fef0a355ee25efe77507baf4.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, MAR1979 said:

Overstret Price Bulletin Winter 1988 - brings me back to my youth :)  

Groo Special #1 is online with current census numbers as with "only" 65 it has the lowest 9.8 population of any of the 1980's Groo #1's

"H" meant hot, which back in the day my LCS would boost price above guide on those. 

image.png.143f7eb97d0446462589ca2cac1fef29.png

image.png.a04260a7fef0a355ee25efe77507baf4.png

what a glorious time :sumo: