• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

360 posts in this topic

I loved Mad but never read Groo. Does anyone know if there is a trade or omnibus which I could try in order to get into the character?
There's a dozen or more tpb's collecting four issues each of the Marvel series. Dark Horse published an Omnibus with stuff from Destroyer Duck #1, Starslayer #5, Pacific Comics's Groo #1-#8, Eclipse Comics's Groo the Wanderer Special #1, and Epic's The Groo Chronicles #1-#6. There's lots of collected works out there.

I loved Mad but never read Groo. Does anyone know if there is a trade or omnibus which I could try in order to get into the character?
There's a dozen or more tpb's collecting four issues each of the Marvel series. Dark Horse published an Omnibus with stuff from Destroyer Duck #1, Starslayer #5, Pacific Comics's Groo #1-#8, Eclipse Comics's Groo the Wanderer Special #1, and Epic's The Groo Chronicles #1-#6. There's lots of collected works out there.

Thanks for your response. Any recommendation on a good introductory starting point?

If you can find a pretty used one, (since they go for quite a bit newish, around $500) the Hardcover Groo Chronicles is the WAY to go. It collects so much of the early stuff.

"Sergio Aragones: The Groo Chronicles (The Expensive Edition) hardcover reprints and/or collects:

1. Destroyer Duck (1982) #1

2. Epic Illustrated (1980) #27

3. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #1

4. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #2

5. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #3

6. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #4

7. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #5

8. The Groo Chronicles (1989) #6

9. Groo Special (1984) #1

10. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #1

11. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #2

12. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #3

13. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #4

14. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #5

15. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #6

16. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #7

17. Groo the Wanderer (1982) #8

18. Starslayer (1982) #5"

Love Groo. Got my first copy of Destroyer Duck 1 just last month and was stoked. Also found Sergio Aragones Massacres Marvel #1 in the 50 cent bin. Perhaps I overpaid. But I am delighted with both.

And don't forget. Without Groo, there's no Groot.

I am ashamed to admit that I have never read any Groo comics. I remember as a kid reading something that I assume was similar in the newspaper. Always wanted to read it, maybe I will buy a trade. Where would I start from, which comics should I buy to start from the beginning and how much will it cost (mid grades are fine).

I am ashamed to admit that I have never read any Groo comics. I remember as a kid reading something that I assume was similar in the newspaper. Always wanted to read it, maybe I will buy a trade. Where would I start from, which comics should I buy to start from the beginning and how much will it cost (mid grades are fine).

I posted this prior to your post:

"Groo Adventurer" TPB which just collects 1-4 of the Marvel series is a very easy and inexpensive way to jump into the Marvel Groo.