• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

360 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ectocooler said:

I’m not sure, hopefully for the guy who has 50 of them a few posts back it is lol I will say that I bought a 9.8 back in January for $70 on eBay. I was looking up sales last week and a few 9.8s had sold for $200+. I just wanted it to display on my wall in my office. I think it’s very likely Groo stops forever when Sergio and Mark call it quits. Plus it’s unlikely we ever get a movie or TV show so there won’t be much hype unlike what Usagi is going through right now.

I'm not worried about that.   Besides I think I paid $2 each for the pacific #1s and maybe $4 each for the eclipse #1s?    Eff all

Groo has always been a long term hold for me, and I love reading them as well. I always thought HBO or a similar channel would pick up an animated series but  that ship has most likely already sailed.

33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm not worried about that.   Besides I think I paid $2 each for the pacific #1s and maybe $4 each for the eclipse #1s?    Eff all

If Groo blows up you’ll look like a wiser investor than the crypto people

29 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Groo has always been a long term hold for me, and I love reading them as well. I always thought HBO or a similar channel would pick up an animated series but  that ship has most likely already sailed.

I was reading an interview with Sergio and Mark in one of the old comic magazines. I guess at one point a Chris Farley live action Groo movie was pitched. Sergio turned it down, he seems very protective of Groo which I can appreciate. But an animated series would’ve been really cool to see.

2 hours ago, ectocooler said:

I was reading an interview with Sergio and Mark in one of the old comic magazines. I guess at one point a Chris Farley live action Groo movie was pitched. Sergio turned it down, he seems very protective of Groo which I can appreciate. But an animated series would’ve been really cool to see.

Ah man, that sounds both horrifying and awesome all at the same time Haha, what might have been I guess lol

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

I really wasn’t looking at them as an investment.   Just so cheap I couldn’t say no. 

It was worth it just for the picture you took alone. I feel like if Mark Evanier was here he’d make some joke about only Groo fans would buy multiple copies of a worthless rag. You should send them all into CGC at once, might be what overloads and temporarily shuts them down. “We got how many copies of Groo #1? Shut it down, shut it all down!”

I don't think the ship has sailed on Groo appearing on other media. The rights to Groo will transfer to Sergio's heirs in the long run so they should ultimately find a way to preserve Groo's legacy. He's just too iconic and precious as a character to be forever forgotten once Sergio can no longer tell new stories.

Sergio has also been resistant to live action movies, but with the better cartoon or cgi quality of modern times, there is now a bigger chance of a Groo show being more accurate to the comic vision.

Sergio has also been keeping Groo in the public consciousness through the major crossovers with Conan before and Tarzan coming soon. The 12-issue opus Friends and Foes seemed to have been designed to re-introduce the whole Groo cast to new readers. And the recent 4-issue minis from the past 2 decades seemed to have social commentary on matters like the environment, non-finding of weapons of mass destruction, outsourcing of production to China and matters like that. At least that's how I read and understood them.

It seems Sergio has a grand masterplan for Groo. I just can't put a finger on it.

My first (owned not read) Groo issue and still my favorite is Eclipse's Groo Special 1 from 10/84.  I recall for decades it had a higher value than Groo #1 due the low distribution.  

The comic shop I got mine from back then only had placed the minimum order which as I recall was 3 pieces. Luckily I found one I thought was is nice shape and treated it very carefully as during my childhood $2 was a decent sum to me. Fast forward 17 years later I sent to CGC and received what I believe was the first 9.8 of the book.

It's actual value though is not relevant to me though as my actual childhood copy graded CGC 9.8w in 1st gen slab is priceless.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/9/2021 at 12:21 PM, Green Slime said:

This may be redundant but there's a new Groo book solicited in the latest Previews.

Welcome to the Boards  :tink:

Perhaps it's too far out, I thought I read earlier that it was upcoming but I wouldnt think redundant if it cant be found....

2 hours ago, BrianNichols said:

I signed up just to say this.  Back in the early 80's when I was in junior high school my step-dad noticed that my brother and I were starting to tank in school.  He wanted to encourage us to read, so we started collecting comics.  There was a great LCS in Citrus Heights, California called Comics and Comix.  We eventually worked our way up to a pretty significant pull list of comics that we would go and pick up every other Sunday night.  We had all of the big titles, both DC and Marvel.  Every Sunday night when we got home we would read comics.  Groo was always the first comic that we wanted to read.  Groo was probably the only one that got read over and over again . . .the other stuff it was read once, bagged  and boarded.   Groo just hung out on the coffee table for two weeks and got read by everyone, even my mom.  Still have them all.  My all-time favorite.  I'm an avid gardener now and every time I throw a load of mulch on the flower beads I think of Groo.  I stopped eating cheese dip a long time ago though.  

Brian

welcome :tink: memories :x 

On 5/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, jick said:

I love Groo so this thread deserves a bump!

Having said that, what do you guys think of Groo #1 Pacific as a long hold investment?  Any upside?

If Mark Evanier ever comes up with a second joke to put into a Groo story, watch out!

Long time Groo fan here.  Here is the "#1 Trifecta" from my PC.  All look to be nice and minty after all these years. 

Oh, and I realized I didn't actually have a Destroyer Duck 1, you guys made me want to  have to go and pull the trigger on the last 9.8 on eBay to round out the key issues. Thanks for that! Lol :insane:

-J.

20210515_151812.jpg

I saw this reply in a Facebook post about Groo and I think it may have hit the nail in the head!

"The only thing holding groo back from "exploding" is his control freak creator. This is a definite medium term hold as one day the heirs will get the property, and then all bets are off."

I do agree.  It seems Sergio has been very picky with how Groo can be adapted to other media --- maybe too picky that he hasn't picked any!

For me though, Groo is better off as a series than a one-off movie.

3 hours ago, jick said:

I saw this reply in a Facebook post about Groo and I think it may have hit the nail in the head!

"The only thing holding groo back from "exploding" is his control freak creator. This is a definite medium term hold as one day the heirs will get the property, and then all bets are off."

I do agree.  It seems Sergio has been very picky with how Groo can be adapted to other media --- maybe too picky that he hasn't picked any!

For me though, Groo is better off as a series than a one-off movie.

Hard to disagree with this. 

If Usagi can get a series, I dont sher why Groo couldn't.  At least a cartoon.   He definitely has a fanbase and easily adaptable material.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules