• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

360 posts in this topic

I think it's just a matter of time before Groo explodes. I don't think Usagi is bigger than Groo. Neither is Tick. And the list of idependent characters goes on. Groo is the OG. The only thing holding him back is that there are no trade paperbacks easily accessible, and Groo has never appeared on tv or movies yet. Groo is too interesting a character not to eventually get that big break.

In a few weeks, I'll be going to my first comic con in well over a year. And my #1 hope is that I can find some cheap Groos to fill out my collection. Here's hoping Groo doesn't break out until I can complete the run at $1 apiece, the way Groos were meant to be purchased.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:22 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Hard to disagree with this. 

If Usagi can get a series, I dont sher why Groo couldn't.  At least a cartoon.   He definitely has a fanbase and easily adaptable material.  

-J.

I'd love an animated series. There's hundreds of stories with thousands of characters already created, and Sergio's style meshes well with animation as we saw with his little cartoons on TV's "Bloopers & Practical Jokes". But who would voice Groo? I think it'd be a great role for Schwarzenegger. A new joke with him could be that all the other characters regularly note the Austrian accent that Groo insists over and over he does not have, and which would, of course, grow thicker the more he protested. 

On 5/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, jick said:

I think it's just a matter of time before Groo explodes. Groo is too interesting a character not to eventually get that big break.

Agreed, I've been hodling these for many years believing his break will come. Back when Groo comics first came out they were hugely successful and commanded a premium. Over the years that premium has given way to dollar box prices with the exception of 9.8 graded books. I hope they have their day, Groo is one of the more entertaining reads (albeit a little repetitive) and a welcome break from superheroes. 

10 hours ago, Crom Cares said:

In a few weeks, I'll be going to my first comic con in well over a year. And my #1 hope is that I can find some cheap Groos to fill out my collection. Here's hoping Groo doesn't break out until I can complete the run at $1 apiece, the way Groos were meant to be purchased.

wttb!

On 5/24/2021 at 10:41 PM, pubmonkey said:

Destroyer Duck #1 in cgc 9.8 is averaging $500 a sale these days... I would say this is still vastly undervalued.

I totally agree that even at $500 it is undervalued for a first-appearance of a major creator-owned character.

Sergio Aragones is a legend.  His creation Groo is no slouch, having been published since 1982 (approaching 40 years) and reaching a 200-issue count!  And you can get his first appearance 9.8 at $500? It's a steal for me.

I also think Groo's first cover appearance (Pacific #1) is also a steal at $150 it sells for nowadays.

Yeah I’ve been taking advantage of the cheap prices for Groo. A few weeks ago I picked up some high grade Pacific/Marvel backissues to replace my beaters. Last weekend I got this Sergio book for half off cover price at a local comic shop. I think its been sitting in there for a decade. Now its hanging out on my coffee table. Was surprised to see it sells for a bit on ebay.

53AE6BC5-29D3-42D4-805E-43705333A7F5.jpeg

142163EE-93D3-4BC7-AF49-040C1A547A11.jpeg

Edited by ectocooler

On 6/12/2021 at 4:58 PM, Drswoz said:

Hi I've a few groo comics think I'm gonna get them graded and sell them picked them up from a charity shop £2 each

IMG20210612215737.jpg

Wttb!

I'd be careful getting these graded thinking that you'll make a profit. If the grades come back anything less than a 9.8 you'll likely not get your money back. I see a few spine ticks and spine rolls in there. The Groo Special will have to be at least a 9.6 to make it worthwhile. It's sad but true... One day the market will see these as something special but until then we'll have to settle back and eat our cheese dip.

I was just watching (and bidding but lost!) on a Destroyer Duck #1 CGC 9.8 on eBay.  It finished at $575.  Is that the highest that issue will ever go for, and will market-correct .. or is it just the start of a rise?

I just found it weird that it was a private bidding.  I haven't seen that book ever offered in a private bidding - how does that work?  Would private bidding be more susceptible to manipulation and shilling?

I think $575 is quite high - but then again it's nothing compared to the comic made by Groo's letterer!

20 hours ago, jick said:

I was just watching (and bidding but lost!) on a Destroyer Duck #1 CGC 9.8 on eBay.  It finished at $575.  Is that the highest that issue will ever go for, and will market-correct .. or is it just the start of a rise?

I just found it weird that it was a private bidding.  I haven't seen that book ever offered in a private bidding - how does that work?  Would private bidding be more susceptible to manipulation and shilling?

I think $575 is quite high - but then again it's nothing compared to the comic made by Groo's letterer!

One for $660 before that.

That book is sooooo under valued.  

Be patient.  It's percolating...

-J.