• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is restoration frowned upon in comics?

65 posts in this topic

In many other paper-related hobbies, minor (and even major) restoration/cleaning is looked upon as helping the pieces stay viable for longer periods of time. Art is cleaned. Rips in posters can be mended. Old books can even be rebound. (While not paper, my wife deals in vintage clothing, and repairs or alterations are not looked upon negatively. If you have a hole fixed, it's okay.)

But in comics, even the slightest bit of restoration drops the value significantly.

Now I'm not saying that a book with huge chunks out of it that were replaced should be deemed no big deal, but cleaning, pressing, sealing of tears, fixing of spines, etc, to me just isn't that big of a problem, especially in comics that are approaching 80 years old. These comics were not meant to last. They were manufactured with crappy paper that nobody ever thought anyone would want to keep longer than a few weeks. Many of them need a lot of help to keep them around for another 80 years.

Am I insane?

I think it is because both unrestored and restored are available at this time in history. Another 50 years, and golden age, silver age, etc, comics will need help to survive, and it will probably become more acceptable. Already, pressing is ok. Trimming the edge is on it's way to acceptable. Time changes everything!

Cue the conservation vs. restoration debate.

I don't think it's so much conservation, though. Regardless of what you do, these books are going to disentegrate at the same time. I'm talking about presentation of them while they're still around.

Because any restoration is basically "adding" to the original. Most other paper type of collectibles are seen as just valued and restoration keeps them viable, as you said.

But comics are art. It would be like someone doing a paint touch to the Mona Lisa...it's not in its original state anymore. Granted I know there have been restoration techniques used on the Mona Lisa and other old famous paintings but no one is trying to sell those and there is only one copy of it.

I also believe the value depends on the comic. Yes, an Amazing Fantasy #15 in 9.8 would be great to have but if I could only afford a purple label, so be it. I'm not to choked up about the restoration of it.

In many other paper-related hobbies, minor (and even major) restoration/cleaning is looked upon as helping the pieces stay viable for longer periods of time. Art is cleaned. Rips in posters can be mended. Old books can even be rebound. (While not paper, my wife deals in vintage clothing, and repairs or alterations are not looked upon negatively. If you have a hole fixed, it's okay.)

But in comics, even the slightest bit of restoration drops the value significantly.

Now I'm not saying that a book with huge chunks out of it that were replaced should be deemed no big deal, but cleaning, pressing, sealing of tears, fixing of spines, etc, to me just isn't that big of a problem, especially in comics that are approaching 80 years old. These comics were not meant to last. They were manufactured with crappy paper that nobody ever thought anyone would want to keep longer than a few weeks. Many of them need a lot of help to keep them around for another 80 years.

Am I insane?

...not only are you sane.....but you are now officially on the list of people I wouldn't mind sharing a deep dish pizza if I'm ever in Chicago. There's a lot of us, actually, who will buy a restored book.... but we do like the work to be disclosed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Because any restoration is basically "adding" to the original. Most other paper type of collectibles are seen as just valued and restoration keeps them viable, as you said.

But comics are art. It would be like someone doing a paint touch to the Mona Lisa...it's not in its original state anymore. Granted I know there have been restoration techniques used on the Mona Lisa and other old famous paintings but no one is trying to sell those and there is only one copy of it.

I also believe the value depends on the comic. Yes, an Amazing Fantasy #15 in 9.8 would be great to have but if I could only afford a purple label, so be it. I'm not to choked up about the restoration of it.

I hate to break it to you, but there has been plenty of color touches on the old masters' works over the centuries. The Mona Lisa included. When pieces are restored, it's not just cleaning off the dirt and grime. They do plenty of color touches as well.

...not only are you sane.....but you are now officially on the list of people I wouldn't mind sharing a deep dish pizza if I'm ever in Chicago. There's a lot of us, actually, who will buy a restored book.... but we do like the work to be disclosed. GOD BLESS...

Great! (But no deep dish pizza... I'm from the east coast, and I loathe the stuff. PIZZA SHOULD NOT BE EATEN WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!)

Simple, it is frown upon because for the longest it was and continues to be used to deceive people. Can perceptions change regarding restoration, sure, but as long as unrestored copies exist, they will always be worth more than restored copies.

I think it is because both unrestored and restored are available at this time in history. Another 50 years, and golden age, silver age, etc, comics will need help to survive, and it will probably become more acceptable. Already, pressing is ok. Trimming the edge is on it's way to acceptable. Time changes everything!

mail on the head Bill1 :applause:

I think it would more acceptable and not drastic price differences if CGC would have come out in the 1970s and we would have books slabbed for over 30+ years

I'll be honest. I used to shutter at the thought of a purple label.

Now I see one, at a good grade that has some minimal restoration (some color touch somewhere or a little trim that you can't even tell) and see the price in comparison to a blue label and I'm totally okay with it! Book looks beautiful, high grade, fraction of the price, because of a little color on a building in the bottom corner? No probs!

I hate to break it to you, but there has been plenty of color touches on the old masters' works over the centuries. The Mona Lisa included. When pieces are restored, it's not just cleaning off the dirt and grime. They do plenty of color touches as well.

I know…that's what I said.

Am I insane?

Ask kav

I am avoiding that thread like the plague.

...kav's alright..... you just have to make sure he's been fed before you go around :baiting: GOD BLESS....

I'd hate to break it to you, but I'm going to tell you what you already know, listen up....

You said: It would be like someone doing a paint touch to the Mona Lisa...it's not in its original state anymore. Well, paint touches to the Mona Lisa have been done.

The Mona Lisa isn't for sale, obviously, but a lot of the other painting of that era and more recent are. (And there are plenty of the same paintings going around. Some are forgeries and some are painted by their assistants and some are painted by the artists themselves.)

Why is restoration frowned upon in comics?

I think the simple answer is 3 things (imho):

*nostalgia - for recapturing youth the ultimate would be "newsstand fresh" original condition. Books it their time machine dream state.

*disposable - between mishandling and mass destruction tales, highly desired 'original condition' is deemed rare and unusual.

*cheats - tricks and techniques used to fool the buyer into paying more. No one likes to be cheated.

Beyond that it's evolved and still evolving. Not as much destruction as initially imagined, once eBay came online. Encapsulation came along and labels trumped authenticity. Money flowed. Manipulation techniques improved. Definitions were changed. Debates raged and money continued to flow.

Simple, it is frown upon because for the longest it was and continues to be used to deceive people. Can perceptions change regarding restoration, sure, but as long as unrestored copies exist, they will always be worth more than restored copies.

I think this plays a major part.

The other deciding factor seems to be availability of books. Even Action Comics number 1 has multiple existing copies and a patient buyer has options. So why settle for a restored copy?

I also think that given how sentimental/nostalgic the hobby is, restoration has the perceived effect of altering/interfering with the past, in a way that would be acceptable if so much emotion was not involved. (I may be talking out my arse here).