• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC setting new standards for grading excellence!

61 posts in this topic

I don't think it's a Costanza or centerfold detached or micro chamber problem. The book has "shifted" in the well where the covers are stuck to the well and the book was likely dropped resulting in the interior shifting but the covers staying in place. It's another type of SCS which I've had happen to a couple of my high grade books.

Depending on how severe, it could cause some minor staple tears but not always. It could be as easily reversible as just removing the book from the slab however not sure how many people would do that with a 4 figure book.

Without saying that you are definitely wrong, I suggest looking at that book again. I don't think this is a case of the body shifting from the cover as both staples are clearly still visible on the front of the book and any staple tears that may be present, could not possibly be large enough to account for the right edge.

I think these guys are correct. It's either trimmed or Costanza'd. Most likely the latter.

I really wish people would stop doing this to comics...

Like I said, the staple tears may be minute enough to not be visible. When I bought the below book, it was perfectly square in the well. You could not see the strip of white at the top right edge. What you are seeing there is the back cover extending above the rest of the book. I shipped the book and this is what it looked like after that.

The back cover stuck to the well and when the book was likely dropped during shipping, the rest of the book moved down and the back cover stayed in place. Do you see any staple tears?

I also had a Conan 17 in 9.6 that this happened to. It was more severe than this Warlock and both covers had stuck with the pages sliding down. That had caused some staple tearing. I submitted the book so I know it was completely square but when I got it back from CGC it was shifted in the well. None of the other books in that submission exhibited that trait so likely the Conan is the only one that stuck to the well.

warlock2_zpsc03fcd21.jpg

Ouch!

Yeah :frustrated: With the Warlock, I think just removing it from the slab and resubbing would have done the trick but it's more severe on the FF that is being discussed so there may be more damage and therefore it may be lower grade now.

Yoiks!

doh!

I could see how the cover of the book could stick to the slab and then a significant jostle could displace the innards. Would/could a book like this be "reviewed" by CGC?

I'm sure they would review it as they will review any book. What I'm not sure about is what they would do about it. The book needs to be taken out and reholdered at the very least. It may no longer be a 9.8. I'd actually be willing to bet it wouldn't be but that is just conjecture on my part without having book in hand. You can kind of see where the top staple has impacted inwards from the inside pulling away. Just not sure how much damage there is now.

If taken out and squared up, the damage around the staples might be enough to drop it a grade or maybe even more but without doing that, who can tell. And I highly doubt this book will ever make its way back to CGC.

I don't see a problem with this book. Possibly micro-trimmed on the right edge though.

That appears to be the micro paper sticking out. The smudges seem to be on the slab.

Miswrap is personal preference and not a CGC deductible.

But I would not spend that kind of money on it, without it being reholdered and looking better.

Looks like micro chamber paper to me.

If CGC stapled the micro chamber paper into place, this wouldn't happen.

I have micro paper in some of my CGC comics sticking out and they are not sized to the comic, but slightly smaller. This looks like the interior page to me.

Well, the cover and interior pages have shifted apart, but it's not clear to me whether the cause was too-tight encapsulation or a Costanza pressing. Either way, it's a fugly comic no matter what the number on the upper left of the label says.

I don't think it's a Costanza or centerfold detached or micro chamber problem. The book has "shifted" in the well where the covers are stuck to the well and the book was likely dropped resulting in the interior shifting but the covers staying in place. It's another type of SCS which I've had happen to a couple of my high grade books.

Depending on how severe, it could cause some minor staple tears but not always. It could be as easily reversible as just removing the book from the slab however not sure how many people would do that with a 4 figure book.

I have never seen that type of SCS on a book in an old-style inner well, like this one. I'm not sure it's even possible. This book has hold-downs left and bottom edge - I doubt it is moving around at all.

My opinion is that the likeliest answer is that the piece sticking out on the right is the microchamber paper. If it is indeed a page in the book, something is amiss.

Like I said, the staple tears may be minute enough to not be visible. When I bought the below book, it was perfectly square in the well. You could not see the strip of white at the top right edge. What you are seeing there is the back cover extending above the rest of the book. I shipped the book and this is what it looked like after that.

The back cover stuck to the well and when the book was likely dropped during shipping, the rest of the book moved down and the back cover stayed in place. Do you see any staple tears?

warlock2_zpsc03fcd21.jpg

I can see that this Warlock has a vertical wedge but I don't see a horizontal wedge. A vertical wedge can cause this by holding the cover in place but allowing the inner pages to move with resulting staple tears. This can be corrected but, depending on the grade, the staple tears can result in a grade adjustment.

I have never seen that type of SCS on a book in an old-style inner well, like this one. I'm not sure it's even possible. This book has hold-downs left and bottom edge - I doubt it is moving around at all.

My opinion is that the likeliest answer is that the piece sticking out on the right is the microchamber paper. If it is indeed a page in the book, something is amiss.

Microchamber paper is smaller than the interior pages and snow white in color. The FF112 has interior pages exposed, and not microchamber paper.

Does this mean the book was damaged while inside the case, and therefore no longer 9.8?

If this was sent to CGC for a simple reholdering, would they keep the same grade, even though there is no way it would be graded such?

I don't think they would reholder a book like this without regrading it.

For those too lazy to click the link....

OQhdajr.jpg

WOW!!! This one really is horrible, very much so. I feel bad for the seller and soon to be owner. That is one bad looking 9.8....sorry. I hope it is no ones book here..... :sorry:

I am noticing this new look more and more lately.....

Microchamber paper is smaller than the interior pages and snow white in color. The FF112 has interior pages exposed, and not microchamber paper.

Smaller top to bottom than what we see in that scan, I agree. The slight discoloration at the top also supports it being an interior page.

But I still cannot reconcile what my eyes see there with some sort of post-slabbing problem. And, if the book was slabbed just the way we see it there, it tough to believe an interior page that had been sticking out like that for 40 years due to a miscut/misbind could have such a sharp edge.

I think a back cover scan would help us determine what is going on. When I go to the comiclink page in the original post, I don't see a scan at all now, though.

It looks like a slab that was dropped and hit flush on the right side. I believe there is more damage around the top staple than people think. It might even have torn through the paper completely. If you look closely, you can see the top right corner of the back cover sticking up above the inner pages.

It would be nice if CLink would explain what happened to it, since they've obviously removed it base on this thread.