• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

It's not a Dawn piece, but it's one of the rare books of his that is a low numbered remarked edition. From what I have seen, he's done similar remarks for Dawn: Look Sharp and Pin Up Goddess (26 remarks, lettered A-Z). I'd guess that there may be some others but you never know unless one pops up.

KILLRAVEN01_REMARKED_FRONT.jpeg

Question on CFD issue 5.

The CGC census shows three versions of this issue. A regular edition, limited edition and a 2nd print.

However, I'm only aware of two versions.

Are there actually 3 versions of this book, or is CGC mistaken?

Thanks.

Question on CFD issue 5.

The CGC census shows three versions of this issue. A regular edition, limited edition and a 2nd print.

Thanks.

There are three versions.

First Print

1665_1.jpeg

Second Print

1666_1.jpeg

Limited Edition (1500 signed books with a special nude centerfold of Dawn)

1667_1.jpeg

Question on CFD issue 5.

Thanks.

There are three editions. The limited edition has a signed and numbered nude centerfold that isn't in the regular.

Question on CFD issue 5.

Thanks.

There are three editions. The limited edition has a signed and numbered nude centerfold that isn't in the regular.

RMA

Do you know of any way to tell the Executive copy apart from a regular copy of the 1st printing from the front or back cover?

I always assumed they all came from the same print run and the signed centerfold was added after the fact. Anyone know?

A lot of people call their books Executive editions when selling, because it says it on the cover, when in fact that is just the price line with U.S / UK pricing and the pricing for the EX copy. Every 1st print has that line.

Edited by Silverdream

#4 and #5 were the hardest limiteds for me to find for some reason. I think maybe because it doesn't look different, it might be overlooked by non-CFD collectors and unknowingly classified as just signed copies.

I actually bought a few #4s on the cheap that were stated as "signed on the inside" thinking they might be limiteds. Never worked out that way, but I liked to think the theory was sound.

Do you know of any way to tell the Executive copy apart from a regular copy of the 1st printing from the front or back cover?

I always assumed they all came from the same print run and the signed centerfold was added after the fact. Anyone know?

A lot of people call their books Executive editions when selling, because it says it on the cover, when in fact that is just the price line with U.S / UK pricing and the pricing for the EX copy. Every 1st print has that line.

There's no difference between the limited and regular edition covers. They just tipped in the centerfold poster (which was done in color and on a different paper stock) on 1500 of them, which was slightly more economical than doing a whole new cover. I am at work and can't check, but I believe the inserted poster was printed only on one side.

The way the limiteds progressed were #4 was simply signed and numbered, #5 had the poster and starting with #6 they went to exclusive covers.

There's no difference between the limited and regular edition covers. They just tipped in the centerfold poster (which was done in color and on a different paper stock) on 1500 of them, which was slightly more economical than doing a whole new cover. I am at work and can't check, but I believe the inserted poster was printed only on one side.

The way the limiteds progressed were #4 was simply signed and numbered, #5 had the poster and starting with #6 they went to exclusive covers.

You are correct, the centerfold for the #5 limited was added to the book after the fact. If you look at both books, there is a visible difference in that there's a third staple on the limited. The top and bottom staples are there and go through all but the centerfold and the middle staple goes through the entire book, including the centerfold. Middle is not present on the normal book.

I actually found a #5 limited in a $5 box at the Gem City Con two years ago by spotting the third staple. :shy:

You are correct, the centerfold for the #5 limited was added to the book after the fact. If you look at both books, there is a visible difference in that there's a third staple on the limited. The top and bottom staples are there and go through all but the centerfold and the middle staple goes through the entire book, including the centerfold. Middle is not present on the normal book.

I actually found a #5 limited in a $5 box at the Gem City Con two years ago by spotting the third staple. :shy:

:idea: Man, I never thought of the extra staple!

I just knew there had to be a way! Thanks DR!

#4 and #5 were the hardest limiteds for me to find for some reason. I think maybe because it doesn't look different, it might be overlooked by non-CFD collectors and unknowingly classified as just signed copies.

I actually bought a few #4s on the cheap that were stated as "signed on the inside" thinking they might be limiteds. Never worked out that way, but I liked to think the theory was sound.

Well, you motivated me, and I dug out my CFD box. A nice surprise indeed! :grin: My #4 is a HG Limited Signed copy . . .

9y13.jpg

f3h2.jpg

dkdk.jpg

Cry For Dawn has gotten some action in the past couple weeks here on the boards as well as on Ebay. I watch Dawn-related stuff on Ebay at least 4-5 times a day and there has been a visible influx of CFD books lately. :headbang:

I just picked up a slabbed CFD #1 counterfeit and I am very tempted to crack it and do some investigation on the paper stock of the book. I have always had an idea of how the book was printed, but never had one in-hand to look at. I've found various information about the book online, but I'd like to take a more comprehensive look at the quality.