• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

Cry For Dawn has gotten some action in the past couple weeks here on the boards as well as on Ebay. I watch Dawn-related stuff on Ebay at least 4-5 times a day and there has been a visible influx of CFD books lately. :headbang:

I just picked up a slabbed CFD #1 counterfeit and I am very tempted to crack it and do some investigation on the paper stock of the book. I have always had an idea of how the book was printed, but never had one in-hand to look at. I've found various information about the book online, but I'd like to take a more comprehensive look at the quality.

I would crack it out, I am always curious about the level of sophistication on counterfeits. :)

Cry For Dawn has gotten some action in the past couple weeks here on the boards as well as on Ebay. I watch Dawn-related stuff on Ebay at least 4-5 times a day and there has been a visible influx of CFD books lately. :headbang:

I just picked up a slabbed CFD #1 counterfeit and I am very tempted to crack it and do some investigation on the paper stock of the book. I have always had an idea of how the book was printed, but never had one in-hand to look at. I've found various information about the book online, but I'd like to take a more comprehensive look at the quality.

I would crack it out, I am always curious about the level of sophistication on counterfeits. :)

I think that will be the plan - I'll document it here in the thread when I do it!

You have both, right? You can really see the criss-cross pattern side by side, as a result of the generation loss. I keep forgetting that damn word for it. It's a printing term. Anyhoo, I suspect they made it by taking a picture of the original, then reproducing "OA" from that, which then was printed.

I have Xerox copies of the DD #169 title spread pages; I could easily fill in missing detail, and print from those, as they are OA size (they are actually Xeroxes of the OA, not the printed book.)

You have both, right? You can really see the criss-cross pattern side by side, as a result of the generation loss. I keep forgetting that damn word for it. It's a printing term. Anyhoo, I suspect they made it by taking a picture of the original, then reproducing "OA" from that, which then was printed.

I have Xerox copies of the DD #169 title spread pages; I could easily fill in missing detail, and print from those, as they are OA size (they are actually Xeroxes of the OA, not the printed book.)

Yeah, I have both - I'm actually really interested in seeing the insides as well and comparing the linescreens of both issues. The counterfeits were printed around the time I worked in a print shop, so I'm looking forward to doing some detective work regarding the type of paper, etc on it, too.

For some reason, it took me forever to find a Swordmaster's Daughter limited - I have no idea why. It rarely shows up on Ebay and I've not seen it for sale anywhere else. Same thing with the Sinful Suzi Sinful Edition (in spoilers due to nudity). I paid oa premium despite the grades for these, but figured I'd take the hit because I never see them...

SINBOLDLY_SINFULED_FRONT.jpeg

SWORDMASTERS_LIMITED_FRONT.jpeg

Anyone have the scoop on why these books don't turn up?

For some reason, it took me forever to find a Swordmaster's Daughter limited - I have no idea why. It rarely shows up on Ebay and I've not seen it for sale anywhere else. Same thing with the Sinful Suzi Sinful Edition (in spoilers due to nudity). I paid oa premium despite the grades for these, but figured I'd take the hit because I never see them...

Probably because Mom found them in the bottom drawer, and burned them . . . lol

Probably because Mom found them in the bottom drawer, and burned them . . . lol

lol

You have both, right? You can really see the criss-cross pattern side by side, as a result of the generation loss. I keep forgetting that damn word for it. It's a printing term.

moiré pattern

2004 German preview signed, numbered and limited to 333. This is such an odd book - it collects pages 49-73 of Dawn: Lucifers Halo and is a perfectbound book (not saddle stitched like a regular comic). Really like the cover of this one - love the use of black space in it.

DAWN_TEASER_FRONT.jpeg

Back to the first page!

This weekend, I'll be cracking out the CFD counterfeit and posting what I find. Been wanting to do this for days, but totally swamped with other stuff.

In light of Joe Linsner not wanting any information regarding the differences between the counterfeit and regular Cry For Dawn #1 to be discussed by anyone other than himself, I have removed the contents of this post.

Edited by Dr. Balls

Great analysis, Jason! The extent of my comparison in hand between the counterfeit and the authentic was, "Yeah, these look kinda different."