• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

(worship) on that CFD #1 and Continuum in 9.8 - what a great set of books!

And you're definitely among the pantheon of CFD collectors when you've got a HorrorCon 3 in your hands. That's a sweet copy, too - it doesn't have the tell-tale spine tick issues a lot of them have. Question: Is your copy's cover stapled to the inside?

Yeah, it's a very nice, high grade copy - but the cover isn't stapled to the interior.

Cool - thanks for letting me know. My two copies are both unstapled. I also have five or six other references I've gathered from online sales and some are stapled. So I always like to ask when one pops up from time to time. I have no idea why some art stapled and some aren't.

Here's one of my copies of CFD #5: :cloud9:

:applause:

#5 (both 1st and 2nd print) have been the toughest books to find in NM for me. I probably went through 4 or 5 copies before I found one that didn't have color rub problems or big-time spine stress.

The Dawn Figure Study book is a hard one to find in high grade without damage/rubbing. Mine is a little more rubbed than most others - but is typical of the damage you see. These were inserted one-per-case with the Dawn figures, but with no protection, resulting in them being rubbed on the front and back covers. :facepalm:

I think I've seen one copy that was not damaged in over a year of watching Ebay. Someday one will turn up in NM. I love the color saturation on this book.

DAWN_FIGURESTUDY_FRONT.jpeg

Mine is a little more rubbed than most others

Dangerous thing to say in a discussion about Dawn. :kidaround:

lol

Rubbed is way better than chafed.

Mine is a little more rubbed than most others

Dangerous thing to say in a discussion about Dawn. :kidaround:

lol

Rubbed is way better than chafed.

Which are both better than "raw". lol

Just picked up a few Linsner items including the very elusive 1991 SDCC Portfolio, which I am excited to get in-hand. This portfolio featured a lot of gorgeous Dawn paintings, which was a nice upgrade from his previous Church of Dawn line art portfolio.

This portfolio contains 8 plates and features a variety of nudes. After the convention, he changed out a few pieces, added clothing to cover up the nudity in several pieces and re-release it in 1993, using the same 1991 envelope - this version can be found all over, but the SDCC is one of his harder-to-find portfolios.

PORTFOLIO_SDCC01_SM.jpg

PORTFOLIO_SDCC04_SM.jpg

Picked up a few things from this seller already, but this Cry For Dawn #1 and #1 Counterfeit with reprint editing notes went WAY outta the park! $331 final price.

And this unsigned HorrorCon #3 also went for more than what I estimated, at $406. Good news for JML fans, for sure.

Any Cry For Dawn fans need to check out her auctions. She's very friendly, got loads of unique stuff, and in my conversations with her, I believe she was a friend of Linsner and Zeke.

I watched that CFD 1 lot in its final seconds and it jumped from $160 to $250 to $330 in its final two seconds. I tossed a $150 bid at it with an hour or so left and thought I had a chance.

Yep, I was watching it, too - my auctions came up about 25 minutes later - I was blown away at the jump. I really wanted the editing sheets and figured I may be able to sell the #1s, but I figured I'd rather square off in a bidding war on the other books. I think a couple people also wanted those editing sheets pretty badly!