• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC and Marvel movie results: 1978 to present
5 5

783 posts in this topic

ASM2 could be the first Spider-Man film to not cross $200 mil.

Sony needs to rethink their plans for the franchise hm

Sony had two of the two grossing movies last weekend, that kind of sucess (modestly budgeted movies) seems to be how they are gonna have go for now until the next Bond movie opens. My 2c

I was thinking 'X-Men: DoFP' would cross $700 MM after this weekend based on the daily box office take being well above $1 MM. And with only a little over $6 MM to go, it is very close ($693,952,180). But it just had its first six-figure day. So it may take just a little bit longer.

Venezuela had its opening on 6/20, and is still not available yet. 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' did $3 MM and 'ASM2' did $3.2 MM on opening weekend in that country. So it is definitely a market that can help make a difference.

:wishluck:

As of Thursday, all three movies had some change in their domestic box office results. But 'X-Men: DoFP' had the most significant positive change.

OXUsqTl.png

The Marvel Franchise is still the most profitable overall.

ZtwL4gs.png

EaWXxOj.png

'ASM2' creeps up to the $200 MM domestic barrier. But it has also slowed down drastically at this point.

pZohcqe.png

HXy370E.png

And with 'X-Men" DoFP' it is now coming even closer to the $700 MM worldwide box office barrier. But it is also slowing down, and has started dipping below the $1 MM/day trend. It needs just over $2 MM more to get there, which it should do over the next week.

gUH9Ypy.png

HP8R3XO.png

Box Office: ‘Transformers’ Expected To Crush It With $100M+ Domestic Opening

9). X-Men: Days of Future Past (FOX), 2,014 theaters (-667) / $948K Fri. / $1.3M Sat. (+40%) / 3-day cume: $3.2M (-48%) / Total cume: $223.2M / Wk 6

NOTEWORTHY: Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is expected to just cross $200M this weekend after nine weeks in release pushing its worldwide cume to around $704M now. Will Warner Bros. being able to drag Legendary Pic’s Big Lizard across $200M? Godzilla will have a total cume of $196.9M after pulling in another $800K this weekend.

Godzilla's domestic box office was $196,315,100 as of Friday and gaining about $200K-$300K daily. So it may take another two weeks to get to $200 MM.

Box Office: ‘Transformers’ Expected To Crush It With $100M+ Domestic Opening

9). X-Men: Days of Future Past (FOX), 2,014 theaters (-667) / $948K Fri. / $1.3M Sat. (+40%) / 3-day cume: $3.2M (-48%) / Total cume: $223.2M / Wk 6

NOTEWORTHY: Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is expected to just cross $200M this weekend after nine weeks in release pushing its worldwide cume to around $704M now. Will Warner Bros. being able to drag Legendary Pic’s Big Lizard across $200M? Godzilla will have a total cume of $196.9M after pulling in another $800K this weekend.

Godzilla's domestic box office was $196,315,100 as of Friday and gaining about $200K-$300K daily. So it may take another two weeks to get to $200 MM.

i think you should change the name of the thread and add Godzilla, Transformers, TMNT, not sure on star wars. but great job on these updates and is crazy how much profit some of these films make.

i think you should change the name of the thread and add Godzilla, Transformers, TMNT, not sure on star wars. but great job on these updates and is crazy how much profit some of these films make.

Thanks so much!

Transformers: Age of Extinction Scores $41.6 Million Opening Day

This had an interesting comparison of the big hits this year.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Marvel/Disney – April 4)

$10.2 million Thursday

$36.9 million opening day

$95 million weekend

Godzilla (Legendary/WB – May 16)

$9.3 million Thursday

$38.4 million opening day

$93.2 million weekend

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony – May 2)

$8.1 million Thursday

$35.2 million opening day

$91.6 million weekend

X-Men: Days of Future Past (20th Century Fox – May 23)

$8.1 million Thursday

$35.5 million opening day

$90.8 million weekend (three-day)

These movies are so close in results other than 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' and its opening Thursday results ($10.2 million Thursday). That was definitely a nice way to start off a box office run.

I would love to see 'Guardians of the Galaxy' push passed them all, and surprise the overall market.

:wishluck:

The predictions so far for this weekend are the following.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

- Domestic: $200,000,000

- Worldwide: $704,000,000

X-Men: Days of Future Past

- Domestic: $223,293,472

- Worldwide: $700,593,472

Transformers: Age of Extinction

- Domestic: $102,000,000

- Worldwide: $132,000,000

Sunday night will tell if these predictions are right. If so, Transformers will have become the biggest 2014 domestic opening.

The predictions so far for this weekend are the following.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

- Domestic: $200,000,000

- Worldwide: $704,000,000

X-Men: Days of Future Past

- Domestic: $223,293,472

- Worldwide: $700,593,472

Transformers: Age of Extinction

- Domestic: $102,000,000

- Worldwide: $132,000,000

Sunday night will tell if these predictions are right. If so, Transformers will have become the biggest 2014 domestic opening.

Wow! Transformers in 3 days got almost half of what X-Men and ASM 2 did domestically in all of 2014.

Who would have ever thought that the Transformers would become more popular than Spider-Man and X-Men?

I remember reading Transformers at my lcs in the mid-1980s, and have older readers saying how superior the X-Men were to the Transformers.

:whistle:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Wow! Transformers in 3 days got almost half of what X-Men and ASM 2 did domestically in all of 2014.

Who would have ever thought that the Transformers would become more popular than Spider-Man and X-Men?

I remember reading Transformers at my lcs in the mid-1980s, and have older readers saying how superior the X-Men were to the Transformers.

It's not really that big a surprise. As a franchise, this has historic results that any studio would be overjoyed to have.

psQHx7j.png

hz2cS8F.png

But the biggest franchise results surprised me when I looked into big monsters.

LfKEuxI.png

oiSiGXP.png

No wonder why 'Jurassic World' is in the works.

It's not really that big a surprise. As a franchise, this has historic results that any studio would be overjoyed to have.

psQHx7j.png

hz2cS8F.png

LfKEuxI.png

oiSiGXP.png

Dinosaurs and Robots!

:cloud9:

psQHx7j.png

hz2cS8F.png

LfKEuxI.png

oiSiGXP.png

wow i didn't expect that from Jurassic park movies i really do hope Jurassic World turns out to be good.

Dinosaurs and Robots!

:cloud9:

The results are quite impressive. It's also shocking how poorly some of the more popular movies performed. I'll do a 'Big Monsters' movies comparison in a different thread.

But, remember, it could drop 70% next weekend. It is a fourth installment afterall. If it doesn't have legs, it might struggle to get to $200 million as well.

The original Transformers movie did survive the Rachel Taylor curse. Everything she stars in is doomed to fail (Man-Thing, TV's new Charlie's Angels, 666 Park Avenue, Crisis, etc.) lol

It's interesting the international revenues proceed downward with each installment after the original. Was it making it to all the territories? hm

It's interesting the international revenues proceed downward with each installment after the original. Was it making it to all the territories? hm

That's a good point, Jerel. It's interesting what you can pick up on when you put all these details together.

By 'Jurassic Park III' the results were definitely lower than the first two movies across the board. So it would be interesting to identify if even the studio started pulling back on the markets it had targeted.

hm

What a weekend!

'X-Men: DoFP' just passed 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' when it comes to the worldwide box office.

:o

q7Fo6dC.png

wtXlQB4.png

AgyNeUW.png

And yes, 'ASM2' just broke $200 MM in the domestic market finally.

LM5VPaf.png

I5hHdIL.png

:applause:

'X-Men: DoFP' is coming up on 'X2' and 'Thor: The Dark World' profit levels. From these results, it would appear Fox is doing quite well with at least one franchise.

f7OwSP7.png

IzGrkcP.png

Amazing that out of the 18 movies that have broken the billion dollar worldwide box office level, four are comic book movies.

03 - The Avengers

06 - Iron Man 3

10 - The Dark Knight Rises

18 - The Dark Knight

Although if you adjusted for inflation to compare like-dollars, only 'The Avengers' and 'The Dark Knight' would make it into the Top 30. 'Gone with the Wind' would be showing $1.6 billion for the domestic market (foreign is even bigger, as it was 50.4% of the total box office).

v1tbVfG.png