• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC and Marvel movie results: 1978 to present
5 5

783 posts in this topic

wow

Amazing, but we will still have the haters.

To me these comic book movies have been the new golden age.

I noticed the change in quality with Dark Knight and Iron Man in 2008. That to me was the turning point when comic book movies actually became accepted by mainstream and for good reason. Quality stories with event like excitement. When I go to these comic book movies I feel like a Super Bowl type atmosphere is in the air. That is amazing.

wow

Amazing, but we will still have the haters.

To me these comic book movies have been the new golden age.

I noticed the change in quality with Dark Knight and Iron Man in 2008. That to me was the turning point when comic book movies actually became accepted by mainstream and for good reason. Quality stories with event like excitement. When I go to these comic book movies I feel like a Super Bowl type atmosphere is in the air. That is amazing.

And whether it is DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or Image properties getting the film treatment, overall it is good for the hobby when they succeed. At least, when it encourages new readership.

By the way, Dark Horse is one of those independent companies that has had quite a few shared and in-house properties taken to film.

iuxvbOSl.png

'Timecop' is a really good movie that deserved more attention. I was really surprised to find out how little 'Hellboy' made, which is probably why Sony has dragged its feet on a 'Hellboy 3' ever being made.

v0pUwhX.png

:cry:

'Timecop' is a really good movie that deserved more attention.
It was VanDamme's finest (imho). He resembles Heath Ledger's Joker more now in his new direct to video release Enemies Closer (decent b-movie with a fetching actress named Linzey Cocker in it). I see Warner Brothers distributes it now on DVD/Blu Ray.

Fox is First Studio to Reach $1 Billion in 2014

-------------------------------------

The studio crossed the $1 billion mark on Sunday, which was the 194th day of the year. The last time it took this long for a studio to get there was in 2006, when Disney hit that level in 215 days.

Fox's biggest title of the year is also currently the highest-grossing movie of the Summer: through Sunday, X-Men: Days of Future Past has brought in $229.2 million at the domestic box office. While it will likely wind up below X-Men: The Last Stand ($234.4 million), it's still a hefty haul for the 14-year-old franchise.

-------------------------------------

'Last Stand' came in a 2.2X budget while 'X-Men: DoFP' is at 3.7X budget. I think I would put my money on the latter.

pWVgfqV.png

Msrrlnj.png

What a difference a week makes. And even 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' keeps climbing in the domestic market, though the movie has been out for a long while.

8PtfcYe.png

4ZEQSSw.png

'ASM2' even had a weekend bump.

qPDugXy.png

ytNNaaa.png

But the big winner for the three was 'X-Men: DoFP' though there is a difference in the worldwide box office whether the movie is at $736 MM or $738 MM. Boxoffice.come and thenumbers.com show it as $738 MM, while Box Office Mojo shows it as $736 MM. It is most probably Box Office Mojo being behind on international box office details.

5Br6hbn.png

UMhVzlR.png

Before 'Guardians of the Galaxy' hits the theaters this upcoming week ( :whee: ), let's take a look at the Marvel film landscape.

xNiDOeb.png

9WrwXai.png

'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' keeps slowly adding more to its domestic box office.

LQpB1KX.png

9zpVnsZ.png

Even poor 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' has added to its worldwide take, though the bulk has come from the international market.

k7TTMw9.png

yWURLLa.png

The Marvel property that has been steadily climbing is 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' though there is a difference on the final count. Boxofficemojo.com is reporting $2.3 MM less than Boxoffice.com and Thenumbers.com, which with the latter two both reflect a $739 MM worldwide take.

fjQeWuw.png

yoacreW.png

Comic book movies are definitely massive when it comes to worldwide entertainment.

:applause:

I was watching the Men In Black series this weekend and saw the Marvel logo at the end of the first one. I've always known Marvel owned Malibu, but didn't remember them "branding" MIB at the time in '97.

I did a little sleuthing to see Marvel had aquired Malibu Comics after Malibu grabbed Aircel (MIB's first publisher).

Do you consider the MIB series Marvel movies and have you included them on your Marvel stats chart?

From my perspective, MIB was Marvel's (in house creation or not) first enormous box-office homerun.

Well anyway, MIB #1 is still a pretty good movie. :)

I was watching the Men In Black series this weekend and saw the Marvel logo at the end of the first one. I've always known Marvel owned Malibu, but didn't remember them "branding" MIB at the time in '97.

I did a little sleuthing to see Marvel had aquired Malibu Comics after Malibu grabbed Aircel (MIB's first publisher).

Do you consider the MIB series Marvel movies and have you included them on your Marvel stats chart?

From my perspective, MIB was Marvel's (in house creation or not) first enormous box-office homerun.

Well anyway, MIB #1 is still a pretty good movie. :)

I saw that too when watching the first movie recently with my sons.

hm

looks like x-men is the big winner this year

I have to agree. Though 'Guardians' has room for growth since China has not even had a market release yet.

But 'X-Men: DoFP' definitely made its mark.

:applause:

looks like x-men is the big winner this year

or captain america, depending on how you look at it

Captain America 2 at the domestic box office, X-Men: DoFP at the worldwide box office.

But when it comes to most profitable (exceeding budget expenses), because of the lower expense of Cap2 that 4.2x vs. 3.7x definitely tells a better financial story. Cap2 was more profitable.

1prJDnM.png

8MtWrYc.png

I suspect that Guardians of the Galaxy will be extremely profitable from a merchandising standpoint.

I suspect that Guardians of the Galaxy will be extremely profitable from a merchandising standpoint.

I agree. But GotG has a lot more growth ahead of it due to the spreadout schedule.

Guardians of the Galaxy full international release schedule

China is not until September 5th.

Wow!

------------------

Luxembourg: 18 August 2014 (Kirchberg & Belval, Luxembourg) (premiere)

Nepal: 22 August 2014

Austria: 28 August 2014

Germany: 28 August 2014

Greece: 4 September 2014

Cyprus: 5 September 2014

Japan: 13 September 2014

China: 10 October 2014

Switzerland: 22 October 2014 (Italian speaking region)

Italy: 22 October 2014

------------------

As an example of another team comic book movie, X-Men: DoFP in China, Japan and Germany brought quite large box office bumps ($116.5 MM, $9.98 MM and $16.1 MM, respectively). Even Italy was a $9 MM bump when that market was done.