• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Spiderman Clone/Kaine Books....

18 posts in this topic

In going through the unorganized boxes I hit a trove of these books. i know i have 1-3 each of these in other boxes, so I figure these can find new homes...looks like I have the early "keys" but as I was trying to put together the various story arcs, of course, I am missing like one or two out of each. sooo, irritating, i thought it would be a nifty way to sell these as a lot to have all of the various story arcs complete. my guess is that the arcs were probably complete in whatever 50 cent box I fished these out of way back when but I passed on some of the issues because they did not meet my "stringent" high grade criteria

anyway, am I wasting my time with this project (which my wife was mocking me over as we watched SNL on Saturday as I was sorting them out on the coffee table) as I no doubt can cobble them together by searching through my "spiderman" boxes for extras? do people only care about the early "key" issues in this saga or is there actually a premium placed on the complete story arcs (like with the knightfall, etc. books where by and large nobody is interested in the individual books but the sets sell decently?)

I don't care what anyone says, these are MODERN/SPECULATOR/CHROME.

Hasn't copper been pushed out to 1998 as a marketing ploy?

I agree with you as to how these SHOULD be classified, but these sort of books seem to be discussed in copper nowadays.

With that said, this actually came out when things were starting to slow down (and also the "key" events occurred in the Spidey titles that were not so popular at the time like Spectacular and Web) and some of the later clone/kaine stuff actually happened when print-runs were starting to dip quickly after ASM 400, so they were not really pure speculation books. not saying they're rare or anything, just not prime glut books.

for example, my LCS knew that this clone stuff was going to be big (one of the marvel writers who shopped in the store had actually given him a heads up about the clone saga) and he was encouraging me to buy multiples of whatever issue this is first revealed (i only bought one, of course, and it would take 20 years for that prediction to pan out...), but after being burned so many times with bulk speculation purchases in 1990-1992 he wasn't in a position to put his money where his mouth was and just ordered a normal number of copies of the issue.

edit: I assumed the recent clonage hype had pushed the clone-related books immediately prior to web 118 up, but i guess not!

I've sold slabbed 9.8's of the 118 and 119 for around $175 each

oh well, these ain't 9.8s. maybe 9.2s for the most part.

maybe they can be the center pieces of a $50-$100 lot of these books.

Why are Web 116 and Spectacular 215 and 216 worthless? Aren't these where the clonage is revealed and what not? Seems by the time 118 came along it was already hyped up.

Not sure about the issues you mentioned, but the first appearance of Scarlet Spider is in #118 and Kaine (current Scarlet Spider) is in #119.

Why are Web 116 and Spectacular 215 and 216 worthless? Aren't these where the clonage is revealed and what not? Seems by the time 118 came along it was already hyped up.

The lead-up books are kind of like the lead-up to Doomsday/Death of Superman where the last page of each issue shows a partial character and mysterious captions/dialogue. The big difference is that the Spider-Clone (or the real Peter Parker, since that's clearly who he was meant to be) was not a new character.

They absolutely are, but there's a problem with the forum division here. If you posted this in the Modern Forum, it would be immediately ignored and buried on page 3 by the 7 Walking Dead threads, the 4 (CurrentHotModern) threads and the 50 IDIDN'TBUYTHEWALKINGDEADWHENITCAMEOUT-SOIHOPETHISNEWMODERNIJUSTBOUGHT500COPIESOFWILLBE-THENEXTWALKINGDEADANDFUNDMYEARLYRETIREMENT threads.

They absolutely are, but there's a problem with the forum division here. If you posted this in the Modern Forum, it would be immediately ignored and buried on page 3 by the 7 Walking Dead threads, the 4 (CurrentHotModern) threads and the 50 IDIDN'TBUYTHEWALKINGDEADWHENITCAMEOUT-SOIHOPETHISNEWMODERNIJUSTBOUGHT500COPIESOFWILLBE-THENEXTWALKINGDEADANDFUNDMYEARLYRETIREMENT threads.

He's got a point there . . . lol

I always consider Copper to have ended when these Spidey titles all ended and ASM was renumbered, which was 1996. "Modern" ASM started with the new #1. May not work for everyone, but it works for me and is easy to divide.

The lead-up books are kind of like the lead-up to Doomsday/Death of Superman where the last page of each issue shows a partial character and mysterious captions/dialogue. The big difference is that the Spider-Clone (or the real Peter Parker, since that's clearly who he was meant to be) was not a new character.

OK, so the issue my friend who owned the shop was a sure fire money maker turns out to maybe be worth about cover price 20 years later. Hah!

less then cover for most.. Being a big Scarlet Spider fan I had multiples of most of the Scarlet Spider / Clone saga issues and gave them, away like 2 years ago . Couldn't get anything for them really other then a couple of issues like 118 etc. Gave some to my son and some of his friends to read.

I always consider Copper to have ended when these Spidey titles all ended and ASM was renumbered, which was 1996. "Modern" ASM started with the new #1. May not work for everyone, but it works for me and is easy to divide.

That would be

a) 1998 (cover date November)

b) When non-Mutant Marvel ended for me, definitely not Copper

1996 was Onslaught, when most of the Marvel Universe was cancelled/renumbered.

That would be

a) 1998 (cover date November)

b) When non-Mutant Marvel ended for me, definitely not Copper

1996 was Onslaught, when most of the Marvel Universe was cancelled/renumbered.

Ok, even if it was 1998 the canceling/renumbering works for me as a cutoff. Your mileage may vary, and that's fine. ASM #400 could also work as a Copper cutoff marker. The beginning of any age rarely has a clear beginning, why should a clear ending be expected?