• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RHODE ISLAND COMIC CON - NOV. 1 & 2, 2014 (PROVIDENCE, RI)

27 posts in this topic

Wow, this show was apparently one giant cluster eff

https://www.facebook.com/rhodeisland.comiccon?fref=nf

The Fire Marshall has stepped in on a number of cons in the past. I remember one of the NYC cons having huge problems with this. Definitely frustrating if you're affected, but it shows that the con there is growing. Hopefully they'll learn from this and will continue to grow next year. It just speaks to the phenomenon that cons are becoming.

I just heard about this myself, there's a story in the Providence Journal, too. Glad I didn't wind up going now.

Me too. kinda reminds me of my bad experience at the Boston con a few years ago.

More and more I think it's better to just stick to the smaller local cons and/or buy online.

I went Sunday and they appeared to have everything worked out compared to Saturday. Police outside, fire marshals, counting ins and outs. Can't comment on celebrity stuff as I stayed away from that end.

Seemed much busier than last year in artist ally.

I went both days, and it was much smoother Sunday than Saturday. Getting in was not done well on Saturday as there was only a few people handing out wrist bands, tickets were not scanned (buy one, make 10 copies = everyone gets in!), and one entrance that was also the exit. Made it to the celebrity area once, and it was a sea of unmoving people. Not enjoyable at all.

Sunday had people walking the line outside handing out wrist bands before you got to the entrance. Brilliant! Still not scanning the tickets. Inside was less crowded, and the celebrity area was navigable. Also could get to vendors easier so I could dig through the $1 down to $0.25 bins! Bummer Herb Trimpe didn't show Sunday, as I was waiting to get a sketch from him Saturday, only to run out of time before I had to leave.

Overall, not the best show, but ok.