• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starman?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone see any likelihood of interest picking up for this series (the Vertigo one)? It sure has some pretty covers. I have a stack of these sitting at my LCS set aside from the 3 for $2 box and am wondering if I should put them back other than the 1-11 I already took home. unfortunately, i don't have the complete series in there, probably missing 5-10 random issues, otherwise i would be more gung ho about it as it is neat to have a whole series that lasted 5-6 or whatever years.

it "looked" like it could potentially be an interesting read as well, not that i have time for anything like that. i bought a stack of softcovers to read when borders went out of business and i am at page 80 of one of them for a couple of years now.

#0 is the first appearance. This series is awesome. But unless it somehow gets a movie deal, which I doubt, chances are it will never become valuable simply because modern fans have no idea who the character is or how great the series is. If I recall correctly, James Robinson has a deal with DC where they cannot use the character without his permission. As a result, I think he has only appeared once or twice since the series ended, and then only in tiny cameos, like in a crowd shot at Green Arrow's wedding. Without the character appearing regularly, there's little chance the series will become hot again.

Creatively, though, I support not using him 100%. His story ended with Starman #80. Bringing him back in any capacity would run counter to the entire point of the story.

He has apparently said that he plans to someday do one more Jack Knight story, but I think it's a "lost tale" sort of thing that happens chronologically sometime during the original run. So he could bring the character back in that way if he wants to.

I'd be surprised - and disappointed - if he brought the character back as Starman in the present. I think the way the series ended was thematically perfect and I suspect Robinson feels the same way.

He has apparently said that he plans to someday do one more Jack Knight story, but I think it's a "lost tale" sort of thing that happens chronologically sometime during the original run. So he could bring the character back in that way if he wants to.

I'd be surprised - and disappointed - if he brought the character back as Starman in the present. I think the way the series ended was thematically perfect and I suspect Robinson feels the same way.

+1

One of my all time favorite series. I read it as it was coming out monthly and then re-read the entire series, once again, about two years later after the final issue came out. I am sure I will re-read the series one more time in the next year or two.

I own the OA to the cover of #7 and it's one of my favorite pieces in my collection. :cloud9:

+1

One of my all time favorite series. I read it as it was coming out monthly and then re-read the entire series, once again, about two years later after the final issue came out. I am sure I will re-read the series one more time in the next year or two.

I own the OA to the cover of #7 and it's one of my favorite pieces in my collection. :cloud9:

#7 is a fantastic cover, probably my favorite in the whole series. :applause:

I have to admit that I purchased a complete run from ghost town this year solely for the cover art, I have yet to read them.

this is why i was buying them, the covers looked pretty sweet, although i figure if it was a vertigo title that last 80 issues the insides are probably pretty interesting as well

I have read this series mutliple times. It is one of my favorite runs, and probably Robinson's finest output.

I agree!

Always loved the 'talking with David' issues.

This series and Hitman were two of my favorites from the 90's.

The 0 issue is the first appearance, right? :)

i see this book in $ boxes and i weep. there just ain't no justice (society of america notwithstanding).

Just wanted to confirm I was hoarding the right issue. :cloud9:

Jack's first appearance was actually Zero Hour: Crisis in Time #1 (Spet '94), the month before Starman #0 (Oct'94) came out.