• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

..... but each book doesn't have the dates (shrug) GOD BLESS...

I assumed that not all newsstands put dates on them.

Again, just speculating and you could be right.

Some of the convenience stores, drug stores, and news agencies used to stamp or write arrival dates on comics on the day they were received to subsequently keep track of how long they had been on sale, as a way to later identify (typically after 2 or 3 months) the non-sellers for return and refund.

Most stores didn't, making the copies with arrival dates more scarce than those without. To me, the neat full date stamp on J-Shot's copy makes it an even cooler copy, as it marks the day when that particular book first hit the newsstand. It's also a lot cleaner and less obtrusive than a big ol' grease pencil date.

Some of the convenience stores, drug stores, and news agencies used to stamp or write arrival dates on comics on the day they were received to subsequently keep track of how long they had been on sale, as a way to later identify (typically after 2 or 3 months) the non-sellers for return and refund.

Most stores didn't, making the copies with arrival dates more scarce than those without. To me, the neat full date stamp on J-Shot's copy makes it an even cooler copy, as it marks the day when that particular book first hit the newsstand. It's also a lot cleaner and less obtrusive than a big ol' grease pencil date.

Yeah, I second that! Thanks Namisgr for making me feel better about picking up this copy. :)

(... And just a little worse about my copies with pencil dates). :)

Somebody just posted a BB25 in another thread with a datestamp of June 23. The book is from 1959. Sure enough, June 23 1959 was a Tuesday.

Which thread??

Not a For Sale thread. 2nd string DC Sci-fi

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=16&Number=8250262&Searchpage=1&Main=113904&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8250262

Somebody just posted a BB25 in another thread with a datestamp of June 23. The book is from 1959. Sure enough, June 23 1959 was a Tuesday.

Which thread??

Not a For Sale thread. 2nd string DC Sci-fi

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=16&Number=8250262&Searchpage=1&Main=113904&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8250262

Thanks Bomber!

Also, note the date on mine. 08/10/1961 :)

That's a Thursday. I'm not sure if the date is regional or what.

how do you know it was a Thursday? you have a hot date that day?

Tim, we're about the same age. What day do you remember as new comic day back then ?

Also, note the date on mine. 08/10/1961 :)

That's a Thursday. I'm not sure if the date is regional or what.

how do you know it was a Thursday? you have a hot date that day?

Tim, we're about the same age. What day do you remember as new comic day back then ?

I don't remember what I did this morning.