• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wish it were possible to see the steps along the way that took a book like that from brand new to what it looks like now.

I would also want to see that plotted on a timeline -- by which I mean, I'm so curious to know what portion of the damage happened in the first month (when it was presumably read!), the first year, or many years later.  Also how much time has passed been between when it got to its current condition and today.

About 10 years ago I was laying out comics to photograph on my couch one by one to sell on ebay.  I was taking a photo of a high grade raw FF45 (8.0ish) and my doorbell rang.  I walked away with the comic still laying on the couch.  When I walked back in my 175lb Great Dane was laying on the couch where the comic was.  At this point I imagine the comic had gone down to about a 3.5 in grade from whatever he did getting onto the couch.  I yelled at him to get off the couch (big mistake) because he jumped up in horror at my yelling and planted a giant paw right in the middle of the comic as he ran away.  The comic ended up probably being a 1.0-1.5 once I salvaged it from all the wrinkles and tears.

I learned a lesson about leaving out comics when there's a Great Dane in the house that day.  Thank God it wasn't an FF48 or 49.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, woowoo said:

I had a good friend back in the early 80's who said he saw Fantastic Four 1 in Leave it to beaver. I looked for years never did I see this and today I found it on the 1985 Leave it to Beaver. At 10.00 there is more. At 12.40 its mint.

I have to imagine that was a replica copy of some kind from the way they were jerking it around. Check the 13:35 mark.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wish it were possible to see the steps along the way that took a book like that from brand new to what it looks like now.

I would also want to see that plotted on a timeline -- by which I mean, I'm so curious to know what portion of the damage happened in the first month (when it was presumably read!), the first year, or many years later.  Also how much time has passed been between when it got to its current condition and today.

I'd venture to guess the bulk of damage occurs relatively early on. Maybe the first two or three months after purchase off spinner rack before being put in a drawer. 

On 1/27/2023 at 12:04 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t know what .5’s generally sell for, but this is one helluva an interesting .5! Classic case of dog ate my homework?

7DC7F3A4-A151-4DA3-BF8B-A1A87C2E1088.jpeg

D26E449E-FD07-47B6-8ED2-56BBF5907C20.jpeg

Looks like rodent damage to me.. ??

or maybe moths ??

Edited by Will253
Additional comments

On 1/27/2023 at 3:02 PM, chaddesden33 said:

Very informative and most humble of Buscema to say he learned from Jack. Interesting though that the two panels of Ben intimidating Sue immediately after the Thing/ Thor panel are in fact from FF #110...drawn by Buscema.

Perhaps to show how he learned from Jack? 

It's incredible to me that you guys can pick out the comic just by glimpses of the panels. 

For as much as I love comics, when I think of SA FFs, I imagine the only ones I've actually read were FF1-4 and 48-50. And those were all reprints...

Even the X-Men and Spiderman books I grew up reading in the 90s, I couldn't pick out the issues by panel (unless it was an extremely significant moment). 

On 1/27/2023 at 5:03 PM, KCOComics said:

It's incredible to me that you guys can pick out the comic just by glimpses of the panels. 

To be honest I used Google lens and figured it out after a couple of minutes.

:idea:  :headbang:

On 1/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'd venture to guess the bulk of damage occurs relatively early on. Maybe the first two or three months after purchase off spinner rack before being put in a drawer. 

I can see that being likely for structural damage, but I'm guessing less so for environmental damage (light, moisture, etc.).

If you’re the buyer then you’re on the moon right now with this deal. If the seller, I’d be unhappy because this was a steal. Nice presenting copy to, no chipping.

IMG_0412.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 5/31/2023 at 12:08 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

If you’re the buyer then you’re on the moon right now with this deal. If the seller, I’d be unhappy because this was a steal. Nice presenting copy to, no chipping.

IMG_0412.jpeg

That's a beautiful looking copy at a steal of a price. 

I haven't been tracking the CL auction, but based on the "have prices eased a bit?" Thread in general, it looks like prices were really soft across the board. 

On 5/31/2023 at 2:59 AM, KCOComics said:

That's a beautiful looking copy at a steal of a price. 

I haven't been tracking the CL auction, but based on the "have prices eased a bit?" Thread in general, it looks like prices were really soft across the board. 

Yeah I noticed that too. I don’t think CL is performing well with this auction. Not that it’s anything they did, but just tons of weak results.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:58 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I noticed that too. I don’t think CL is performing well with this auction. Not that it’s anything they did, but just tons of weak results.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's a stratified market.  High grade (the definition of which varies by the age of the book, census numbers, etc.) is a completely different beast than lower grades.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:41 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's a stratified market.  High grade (the definition of which varies by the age of the book, census numbers, etc.) is a completely different beast than lower grades.

No makes sense for sure.