• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller's Ronin being developed by SYFY Channel

11 posts in this topic

I always had a feeling this was coming. But SYFY can be hit or miss.

Syfy Developing Frank Miller's DC Comics Series RONIN As A Mini-Series

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Syfy channel has decided to try their hands at adapting a comic book into a television project too. Seems every channel is trying to get into the comic book adaptation business. Times are good for comic book fans.

An underrated series that I enjoyed when it came out.

ronin__1983_____1.jpg

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: Syfy Adapting Frank Miller's DC Comics Series 'Ronin,' Oni Press' 'Letter 44'

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network is developing Frank Miller's DC Comic series Ronin and Oni Press' political space drama Letter 44, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Following Darren Aronofsky's attempt to remake the samurai drama for the big screen, Syfy will produce DC's six-issue comic series Ronin as a potential miniseries. From Warner Horizon Television and DC Entertainment, Ronin was written and drawn by Miller (Sin City, 300).

I always had a feeling this was coming. But SYFY can be hit or miss.

Syfy Developing Frank Miller's DC Comics Series RONIN As A Mini-Series

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Syfy channel has decided to try their hands at adapting a comic book into a television project too. Seems every channel is trying to get into the comic book adaptation business. Times are good for comic book fans.

An underrated series that I enjoyed when it came out.

ronin__1983_____1.jpg

Very complex storyline for a TV series. I'm skeptical but would love to see how it turns out in the right hands.

Bleeding Cool reported more details.

Syfy will put a slight twist on the story for their planned eight-part miniseries adaptation:

takes place eight centuries after a Japanese Ronin samurai failed to protect his master from a demon. He awakens in a futuristic, nihilistic New York in the body of Billy, a medical experiment. Now Billy/Ronin is chasing the demon, which has reawakened. Both parties want control of a sword with magical properties and will stop at nothing to get it back.

I loved reading this when it came out. It was the series that bridged Miller over to DC after the DD run, and then he did DK. Loved the way he would draw criss-crossed lines to accent shadows or smoke or whatever. Glad to see it hitting TV.

Maybe this news will help this production out of development hell.

Frank Miller Launches Independent Publishing Company, New ‘Sin City,’ ‘Ronin’ Comics in the Works

Named Frank Miller Presents, the company will have the writer-artist behind The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City and 300 acting as president and editor-in-chief, with the goal of creating and curating a line of comics that hopes to capture Miller’s distinct visual style while also working with a range of talent, from comics veterans to rising artists.

The company has been quietly in the works for months, if not years, and is coming to the launchpad with several titles, including a new Sin City comic and a return to Ronin, the sci-fi samurai creation Miller wrote and drew prior to finding mainstream crossover success with Dark Knight.

FMP will aim to produce two to four titles a year, which will be a mix of Miller’s creations and new works. Miller is returning to the world of his acclaimed noir series Sin City with a Western tale set in the city’s past, titled Sin City 1858. Ronin Book Two is a follow-up to the six-issue miniseries originally published by DC in 1983 and 1984 and focused on a ronin reincarnated in a bleak future.

Edited by Bosco685