• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Everyone has been asking me for the inside scoop at what has been going on behind the scenes at CGC about everything. Well, here it is:

Since I'm a trainee I don't have my own work area yet. So like that guy from office space they keep changing my location everyday. Today they set up a little area for me at a tiny little desk. The thing was it was right under a fire alarm. So of course the fire alarm goes off and freaks me out and of course everyone sees me freak out. The rest of the day everyone kept making jokes that I [#@$%!!!] myself. lol.

yay.gif

How is this any different from people having books pressed by Nelson or Wilson and submitting to CGC? CGC does not recognize pressing as resto so it's not like they are PLODing books pressed by Nelson or Wilson and won't be PLODing books done by Chris.

It's different because CGC is supposed to be an impartial, third-party grading entity.

This is what I agree with and see. The 1st time I send a book into CGC and they recommend I send the book to someone for an improved grade, game over. No impartiality at all.

This coming from an outside guy looking in, but you don't have to be a genuis to see the problem.

Just my opinion.

Guys, I promise that when I get the call from CGC suggesting that they can press my 9.8 Identity Crisis set up to 10.0s, I'll be the first to let you know 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Everyone has been asking me for the inside scoop at what has been going on behind the scenes at CGC about everything. Well, here it is. I hope you'll all be im-PRESSED:

Since I'm a trainee I don't have my own work area yet. So like that guy from office space they keep changing my location everyday. Today they set up a little area for me at a tiny little desk. The thing was it was right under a fire alarm. So of course the fire alarm goes off and freaks me out and of course everyone sees me freak out. The rest of the day everyone kept making jokes that I [#@$%!!!] myself. lol.

yay.gif

We're reserving a "special-place-in-hell" for you!

I love how you read Chris's mind and KNOW that he's opening a high volume resto service where he'll be doing mostly pressing of 9.4 books up to 9.6 and 9.8 level. Because it's absolutely impossible that he's bored with what he does at CGC and wants to open a regular resto service. I'm sorry, I'd offer a rational argument here instead of sarcasm but I doubt rational is what you're looking for.

Hey, we're all free to speculate, and I for one don't think Jbud's assessment is necessarily far from the mark. CCG doesn't get into these things in a small way. Chris Friesen might, but in that case CCG wouldn't be interested. Don't try to convince me that CGC or CCG would be "institutionalizing" WHATEVER Chris F. does because they believe it's good for the market.

Let's see, he's bored with staring at comics all day trying to figure out if they're restored, so he's going to get back into the business of painstakingly restoring and monotonously pressing books instead. Uh-hunh.

I hope you're right, and I also hope that if you're wrong you'll have the guts to step up to the plate and acknowledge that fact.

I'm guessing Frisen misses buying and selling comics especially after looking so darn many tongue.gif

Borock states that “CCS”, who is the parent company of “CGC”, is considering the idea of starting another service that restores paper collectibles.

This company would offer all types of restoration. In no way did he imply that this was to be a “IHOP” that presses comic books.

They are not putting it in house with CGC. They will only be sister companies.

CCS, like any other company, is in business to make money.

They want to branch out into another area of the collectible market that will allow them to increase revenue.

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it.

A lot of people here are still riding the wave of Armageddon.

Nothing has changed with CGC. CGC will not be pressing comics.

CCS is offering a service that is already being offered by other people.

I say, go CCS! If that’s what you decide to do, then go for it.

It will not shake my confidence with CGC's services in the slightest. They will be the same as they were 6 months ago.

My comments on pressing?

If anyone here that has ever bought a back issue thinks they do not have a "key" or "high dollar" pressed comic in their collection, they would be fooling themselves.

Would the fact that you don’t know one of your books has been pressed make you love it any less?

If you are a true “purist” and don’t want pressed comics in your collection, you’d do yourself justice to sell all the books you didn’t personally buy off the newsstand. That’s the only way you can be true to yourself, and your collecting habits.

Pressing has been around for a lot longer than CGC has.

They can only suspect when a book has been pressed. In most cases, they can’t tell. So how do they identify them?

Nobody at this point in time can point out a pressed book with enough accuracy to be considered reliable in any sense of the word.

That is a fact.

All the whining and crying is not going to change it. We can either learn to live with it, or find something else to do with out time and money.

What’s sad to me is that the high-grade fanaticism that people have fallen into makes them think of their books as commodities instead of nostalgia.

What really gets me are people that will complain about pressing, but are somehow willing to rub a piece of Wonder Bread on their comics to clean them up.

How ironic is that?

I'll go on record as having no problem with a book that has been dry cleaned, or professionally pressed.

As you snuggle up to your old “high grade” comics tonight, remember to put your tooth under your pillow.

I’m sure the Tooth Fairy will bring your quarter as usual.

And when the great crash befalls us, PM me a list when you’re ready to sell.

The only people that stay through a crash are the ones that should have been there in the first place.

Darth you are correct

acclaim.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh you little devil.gif not only do you spread your disinformation like the CGC acolyte that you are thereby lessening you credibility in everyone's eyes, but you have the gaul to quote me out of context poke2.gif

Darth, I'm impressed, if you don't currently work for a marketing firm you should real soon. Feel free to quote me as a reference. tongue.gif

Steve.....I have NEVER......EVER.....rubbed a piece of bread on a comic! sumo.gif

And I'm sure none of your Green River books have been pressed. smirk.gif

Dice see hear is the problem with the Doom and Gloom and the people who make fun of it. I don't think the market will crash. But what if your book worth 10x guide with 3 in similar grade in the census has 10 books join it in the census in a few months. Then its on worth maybe 5X guide, with the difference in multiple being in the thousands of dollars - no wonder Bob was upset.

Borock states that “CCS”, who is the parent company of “CGC”, is considering the idea of starting another service that restores paper collectibles.

They are not putting it in house with CGC. They will only be sister companies.

CCS, like any other company, is in business to make money.

They want to branch out into another area of the collectible market that will allow them to increase revenue.

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it.

And when the great crash befalls us, PM me a list when you’re ready to sell.

The only people that stay through a crash are the ones that should have been there in the first place.

Don't you see a problem with this, AS A COLLECTOR ?!? makepoint.gif

Guess not, your ready to buy us all out. Thanks for the offer. yeahok.gif

Dice see hear is the problem with the Doom and Gloom and the people who make fun of it. I don't think the market will crash. But what if your book worth 10x guide with 3 in similar grade in the census has 10 books join it in the census in a few months. Then its on worth maybe 5X guide, with the difference in multiple being in the thousands of dollars - no wonder Bob was upset.

Am I supposed to think people that are paying 10x guide for a 9.8 are making "safe investments"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't you see a problem with this, AS A COLLECTOR ?!? makepoint.gif

No. As a collector, I see this as a company full of people I trust expanding their services.

Am I supposed to think people that are paying 10x guide for a 9.8 are making "safe investments"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope but if its a CCG backed venture as I previously indicated it will most likely be a volume based business similar to the coin subsidary from what I hear. That should make some people holding top census very very nervous. But then again we never think of our collections in monetary terms - they are just funny books after all. tonofbricks.gif

I find it slightly irritating that some people claim it will be a 'storm in a tea cup' or whatever, and they draw comparisons with the Wizard First debacle that didn't touch the market.

Sorry FT - it's all I think it will be. The big dollars according to some are still to be found in unslabbed high grades sitting in old codger collections whose owners don't give a rat's arse about CGC or third party grading, don't care if their books are restored or that they paid full market value for restored books or that at one point in history of their books, they may have been pressed or restored by high grade dealers. All this I've gotten from posts on this board.

What they fail to realise is that a crisis in confidence in the Wizard First-type arena probably effects 0.00001% of the market in terms of dollars spent. A crisis in confidence in the 9.2-9.8 key market probably hits on at least 50% of dollars spent!

I gather that percentage (0.0001) is not far off either where CGC high grade books are concerned. There will be less people affected than people are making out to be IMO. If I'm to believe previous posts, the majority of the collecting community does not deal in slabbed books. These raw purists will not bre affected. I and most modern collectors will not be affected directly and it may seem selfish to say that but aren't most of the submissions to CGC (Volumewise) coming from moderns?

The fact is that any market is buoyed up by confidence and thus, the money paid into it. This could send the money elsewhere.

Back to raw books? Who benefits?

And it's a lot of money!

I'm guessing new weekly sales eclipse back issue sales on an annual basis? Maybe Kevin Boyd can back me up on this or refute it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Everyone has been asking me for the inside scoop at what has been going on behind the scenes at CGC about everything. Well, here it is:

yay.gif

Red stapler boy! tongue.gif