• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midtown Comics for New Comic Books?

63 posts in this topic

Does anyone here order new books through Midtown? I recently got my last order from DCBS and honestly didn't care for the answer I got. I had a handful of books that were damaged and their reply back was "we don't guarantee near mint condition". I replied back that I understand clearance books but not new ones. I even sent pictures but no replies.

Midtown does a legit job packing comics, but they tend to let damaged books slip in. It's also a hastle to make a return if you get a book in a lesser condition than ordered.

I give them 4/5

If it's back issue you may get a spine rolled "nm" book.

Yet new books come in superb condition.

And this is the first issue I've had with DCBS and I've been using them for years but their response was just not about trying to resolve the issue. The four books that were damaged were in the middle of the stack as if someone was trying to slide in damaged books. Oversight? Maybe but at least a better response from them besides "we don't guarantee near mint".

Midtown is garbage. 3 out of my last 4 orders were damaged. They sent replacements with my 'next shipment' but then ran out in the two weeks between... what a headache.

I only buy from Midtown when inperson. I love the Times Square shop... And I like their self adhesive bags with boards.... I say NO to mail order though... I've never actually had an issue with DCBS... Guess not enough ordering from them.

I've purchased several thousand books in the last year from Midtown. I've had less than 20 come in bad shape. I did have a problem with over half of the Rat Queens Staples variants and a few Manifest Destiny Ottley covers so sometimes it hurts more than others. lol

I've also had tremendously great success with TFAW.com. I've never had a bad shipment from them. They did leave part of my East of West #1 order unfulfilled but that was there only shortcoming out of over 1000 comics in the last 12 months.

I don't have anything to report on DCBS because they cancelled my 1st order. I recently gave them another chance on Southern Bastards DCBS variant so we shall see.

Good luck.

Unless you order enough midtown doesn't ship in a box, and they also for some reason don't seal their mylars leaving room for the comic to slide around.

i've had great success with them when ordering a larger quantity but have had disasters when under 8 (i think thats the number).

Unless you order enough midtown doesn't ship in a box, and they also for some reason don't seal their mylars leaving room for the comic to slide around.

i've had great success with them when ordering a larger quantity but have had disasters when under 8 (i think thats the number).

This is true.

Anyone know how soon DCBS ships out next issues?

I have used them for the last few years for my subscriptions and back issues. I have rarely had any issues and they travel all the way to CA.

I had a real issue with them when I got them to send stuff to canada...they just put them all in a priority envelope without any protection. I went round and round with them, as NO ONE would think that was safe....

But I got my reorder sent to the boarder express ground for a fraction of the cost, and they were very cherry...heavy bubble wrap on 6 sides inside a box....

I don't know if it's cause their rep or what, but they seem to have issues after most people sell out...so they are a valuable resource, so long as you figure out the shipping.

MIdtown for years. Order over $75, free shipping in a box. I can't think of 5 books in 5 years that have been damaged, but that is always box shipping. Order something oversized, and it comes free shipping UPS. Usually get my weekly order on Monday USPS, or Friday UPS, to Indiana.

Does anyone here order new books through Midtown? I recently got my last order from DCBS and honestly didn't care for the answer I got. I had a handful of books that were damaged and their reply back was "we don't guarantee near mint condition". I replied back that I understand clearance books but not new ones. I even sent pictures but no replies.

That is a strange response from DCBS. It's been a while, but whenever I've had a damaged book, they always sent a replacement. I hope their stance hasn't changed now that they've gotten big.

I made my first order. 10 copies of the same book. 3 were damaged slightly. A 4th had a torn bad cover. Not pleased. A second order of 25 books is due this week. I hope the ratio of damaged to undamaged is better.

Regardless, my last orders.

I had a real issue with them when I got them to send stuff to canada...they just put them all in a priority envelope without any protection. I went round and round with them, as NO ONE would think that was safe....

But I got my reorder sent to the boarder express ground for a fraction of the cost, and they were very cherry...heavy bubble wrap on 6 sides inside a box....

I don't know if it's cause their rep or what, but they seem to have issues after most people sell out...so they are a valuable resource, so long as you figure out the shipping.

You were able to choose a shipping method to Canada? Really? I had no choice but take the default service, which cost $58+ CDN for 10 books!!! :o

I've never had an issue with DCBS. Everything is always packaged very well.

Definetely go through them and the sister site, Instocktrades over Amazon, as they make sure your books don't get to you with dinged up corners.

I've bought high dollar variants and paid high costs for shipping multiple Times and have had it arrived damaged in a mailer from Midtown. When boxed, typically arrive safe, but not guanteed due to the record number of chimps and Gabronis working the night shift at USPS. It really is a roll of the dice with single comic purchases there.

I had one order from Midtown that arrived damaged. I talked to someone, and they replaced my order for free, made a note to ship the replacements in a box for free, and refunded me the return shipping.

I thought so too and I've been ordering from them for a couple of years with no issues. I have noticed on the last shipment is no longer packaged the same. It used to be packaged between gray foam. They're now using a standard comic book box.