• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nailbiter from Image

246 posts in this topic

I had a big problem with this book from the very first issue. How on earth is a serial killer who is "suspected of forty-six deaths in California alone," and who is caught red-handed by the police in a blood-soaked room surrounded by his mutilated victims EVER acquitted by a jury and set free? That is just too far-fetched even for comic books (where suspension of disbelief is often required).

I have found that Williamson is a talented writer but who too often wrecks the credibility of his stories by making these insanely implausible leaps just to propel the plots. When something so implausible happens like this, and it is the basis for the entire series, well, I just think as a writer you gotta do better. See the "Birthright" thread here on these forums for what I think Williamson does in that series that comes very close to ruining the credibility of that story. And it's something that could have been so easily avoided. Maybe Williamson just needs a better editor who is willing to call him on these types of mistakes.

Yeah, it's way too convenient that Edward "Nailbiter" Warren is a free man in this series. Would never ever happen.

Other than that major gaffe on Williamson's part, it's a pretty good series! :-)

I had a big problem with this book from the very first issue. How on earth is a serial killer who is "suspected of forty-six deaths in California alone," and who is caught red-handed by the police in a blood-soaked room surrounded by his mutilated victims EVER acquitted by a jury and set free? That is just too far-fetched even for comic books (where suspension of disbelief is often required).

I have found that Williamson is a talented writer but who too often wrecks the credibility of his stories by making these insanely implausible leaps just to propel the plots. When something so implausible happens like this, and it is the basis for the entire series, well, I just think as a writer you gotta do better. See the "Birthright" thread here on these forums for what I think Williamson does in that series that comes very close to ruining the credibility of that story. And it's something that could have been so easily avoided. Maybe Williamson just needs a better editor who is willing to call him on these types of mistakes.

Yeah, it's way too convenient that Edward "Nailbiter" Warren is a free man in this series. Would never ever happen.

Other than that major gaffe on Williamson's part, it's a pretty good series! :-)

OJ got off, so never underestimate the stupidity of 12 people too dumb to get out of jury duty

OJ got off, so never underestimate the stupidity of 12 people too dumb to get out of jury duty

Eh, it's still a pretty massive stretch on Williamson's part.

I'm of the assumption that much more information about the trial will be revealed in future issues. One of the great things about comics as a storytelling medium is that you have to go along for the ride and see if it all makes sense in the end. Until then, anything is up for grabs.

I would just like to say about the plausible part. Karla Hamoka changed Her name and is in Bermuda. She arguable was worse than her cohort paul Bernardo.

Or we could look at the Japanese Man who in the 70's was a student in France, killed his roommate, had sex with the body and start eating part of it. Because he was a Japanese citizen France had an extradition trial and sent him back to Japan - Japan thought he was so much a disgrace they didn't want to be associated with him so he was released in China after spending a few years in jail in Japan during the Trial.

These are just two examples I can think of without doing research where killers were released.

I would just like to say about the plausible part. Karla Hamoka changed Her name and is in Bermuda. She arguable was worse than her cohort paul Bernardo.

Or we could look at the Japanese Man who in the 70's was a student in France, killed his roommate, had sex with the body and start eating part of it. Because he was a Japanese citizen France had an extradition trial and sent him back to Japan - Japan thought he was so much a disgrace they didn't want to be associated with him so he was released in China after spending a few years in jail in Japan during the Trial.

These are just two examples I can think of without doing research where killers were released.

YIKES

:signfunny:

it's a comic book, a flying man with an S on his chest is a pretty massive stretch also.

Yeah, people always say that when you try to critque storytelling problems in comics as though it's an excuse for poor writing. I don't buy it! Fantastical stories can still be told with characters who act logically within the parameters of the story and where events unfold in a sensible and believable fashion so the reader isn't slapping their forehead in frustration. There are some writers out there who know how to consistently pull this off and many who don't.

I'm of the assumption that much more information about the trial will be revealed in future issues. One of the great things about comics as a storytelling medium is that you have to go along for the ride and see if it all makes sense in the end. Until then, anything is up for grabs.

I hope so. There would have to be some pretty compelling reasons for this guy to be set free.

Sure, it's possible. But given the setup in Nailbiter it sure didn't seem possible that Warren could ever be a free man. And since Williamson decided to let that happen he probably should address just how something like that can happen. Or not. The book seems to have plenty of fans as it is and it's probably more important at this point for Williamson to tell a good enough story going forward to keep those fans buying the book. Obviously most weren't bothered by this issue. Hell, I even read it through issue #5 and may pick it up again when a few collected editions are out.

Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread earlier, but I'm having trouble finding print run information for the 2nd printing of #1. I'm going to guess that since the print run for the first printing was so low, the 2nd printing may be a bit higher just out of demand? Any info would be appreciated.