Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Marvel #1 9.8 1968... Need some advice.

13 posts in this topic

Anyone know how high Captain Marvel #1 9.8 has been going for? Especially for one with the elusive "White" pages?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2159015966&category=75

I am considering bidding up on this, and I have concerns about rumors of Heritage shill bidding.

Any advice here would be useful, as it is the most I am ever likely to spend on a single issue, leaving me free to locate the rest of the series at 9.8 which I am missing at my leisure without needing to worry about the ultra-high priced #1 again.

I just don't want to get screwed. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rival61

I've seen that same book before, not nearly as nice as my Western PA slabbed 9.6 (early CGC)! One of my personal favorites, great Sci-Fi title & as far as values go, there is currently a Captain Marvel title out (I believe it's the son of C.M.), I believe this title has potential. We'll see. cool.gif

I believe this title has potential.

I think you're right Gorgo. I've been looking for months at shows trying to locate a really nice copy (this title is still relatively cheap), but haven't found one yet. I've found some nice copies (prob 9.2's), but haven't jumped yet. As prices are still low, I think I can find an even nicer copy out there.

Back to your "potential" comment, I think it has everything there....High-Profile Artist/Writer w/ Starlin, book is Silver Age (albeit late), important characters (while Cap. Marvel may not be the most popular, he certainly faced some important foes - Thanos, in particular, comes to mind), and (what I think is the most important point) it is still affordable to collect the entire run.

Let's face it. Few of us, even on these boards, will ever put together a complete HG (let's say 9.0 and better qualifies) run of Amazing Spider-Man, but (I'd bet) most of us could afford a complete run of HG Capt. Marvel, and even have it assembled in less than a year. I think this would draw many collector's to this title (that was what perked my interest in this title).

Chris

I'm surprised that anyone thinks this issue has potential. The character is dead, the new title (his son) sells poorly, and no one outside of comics has ever heard of this Cap. Besides the Starlin art later in the series, this book should always be a poor investment. Only a fool would pay those crazy prices for the 9.8's mentioned above when there are so many better books to put your money into...

but (I'd bet) most of us could afford a complete run of HG Capt. Marvel, and even have it assembled in less than a year.

Though many might be able to afford such a run, I think most collectors wouldn't touch the title with a 10-foot pole. Money is tight as it is for most people these days without them diverting cash from their primary collecting interests to 3rd tier titles like Captain Marvel (not saying 3rd tier in terms of quality, but popularity/collectibility). I'm sure almost every collector would prefer to put that money to work buying whatever they already collect or any number of other books/titles before CM. I think Captain Marvel will remain collected primarily by Marvel completists and Starlin fans - I would highly discourage any "investment" in this title as this fan base is surely eroding over time.

Gene

Good points Chris. I think the comments above are well taken, and I'm near completion of a full run of slabbed 9.4 - 9.8 slabbed, with two 9.2's, and I put less emphasis on investment potential than on my personal favorites in the hobby. As a sci-fi fan, I think this title is a great one.