• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing TPB's from the Registry

64 posts in this topic

I would like to see a more defined group of sets for TBPs. I think all DC, all Marvel, all Image etc. is too broad. I would like to see sets of just TPBs for a title. There are currently several titles with more than one set with different distinctions based: numerical run ( such as issues 1 - 100), first prints only, all printings and variants, Miller only run, etc.

I am disappointed to see that this is even an issue. I compete in many sets that are not based on the title but the artist. In this regard, a TPB is another book that has that artist's art and is something that should be allowed to compete (I want to have everything that artist did!).

if TPBs are not competitive, then I would similarly question:

1. Books that CGC will no longer grade (e.g., old JayCo books); and

2. "AP" books - as they are no different in the art but are simply just something that certain companies do in order to sell more of an otherwise very limited run of books.

Maybe these dont impact many of you, but in the sets I compete in (e.g., Eric "Ebas" Basaldua), these issue are real as well. Maybe I need to start a thread.

Shawn

As per Gemma's request for identifying TPB, some will remain in the registry. The idea of the request was to empower those registry owners who feel TPB are a cheap way for someone to suddenly take over a registry set. If nobody identifies a TPB in a set to be removed then I doubt Gemma will be looking for it.

For me a TPB does not belong in the sets I compete. I collect completed series and coming out with the 27th printing of the trade is nothing more than frustrating.

If you're a big TPB fan then what is the problem with having a separate set? You can still collect (and compete) all books by any given artist.

If you need a master set then make your own set.

Any TPB with completely original material should definitely be competitive (for example: Marvel Graphic Novels).

TPB compilations with completely reprinted covers and pages can have their own set (if competitive).

I would think that any TPB with some NEW material (story and/or artwork by the writer and/or artist can be kept in a competitive set (for example: Wolverine Limited Series TPB which has original classic front and back cover art by Frank Miller, specifically drawn for the TPB).

Makes a lot sense to me 2c

I voted no, myself.

I've had a couple trades graded before. Thought it was silly doing it.

The inner wells really don't support them anyway. They start bending and might scuff the cover or worse that might void the grade (I noticed this with the Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft one-took pics too). I'm surprised R&D never did shock tests (mail deliveries, accidentally drops, etc).

I opened the one I had done, but never mailed in the label. Maybe Monday.

Silly, I tell you. lol

I voted no.

Not a fan of TPBs in the registry.

Almost as bad as putting foreign comics in the registry.

I voted no because then it would open the floodgates.

Multiple printings.

International versions.

Multiple printings of international versions.

+1 - it completely ruins everything, making it impossible to complete anything, because potentially there's always a tpb coming up.

Just like adding all those 2nd, 3rd etc printings to original sets - so if some books are reprinted for the 234th time, then they get added too? :censored:

I wouldn't mix reprints with the original printings, it dilutes the sets and reduces the fun of collecting. :sumo: It should be quite easy to make sets where collectors can register all kinds of reprints - oil and water do not mix 2c

(One example could be having these two sets:

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-#4

2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-#4 Reprints

Probably a very clear way of separating books)

(Gemma asked that all requests are entered in this thread - so here it goes...)

Hi Gemma,

There are two TPBs in the Dark Knight Returns set - I would be very happy, if you could remove them or make them non competative:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=204984

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=204985

Sincerely and thanks,

Rune

• Administrator
Due to a renewed interest in this subject in the Registry Expansion thread I am sticking this thread for now to ask for help in tracking down & removing all TPB's from sets. Feel free to post your removal requests here or in the Expansion thread.

Thanks for the help everyone!

@Rune - I sure did!

I'll just wait a few days to see if anyone prefers one over the other before I change the set, FYI.

I voted no because then it would open the floodgates.

Multiple printings.

International versions.

Multiple printings of international versions.

+1 - it completely ruins everything, making it impossible to complete anything, because potentially there's always a tpb coming up.

Just like adding all those 2nd, 3rd etc printings to original sets - so if some books are reprinted for the 234th time, then they get added too? :censored:

I wouldn't mix reprints with the original printings, it dilutes the sets and reduces the fun of collecting. :sumo: It should be quite easy to make sets where collectors can register all kinds of reprints - oil and water do not mix 2c

(One example could be having these two sets:

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-#4

2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1-#4 Reprints

Probably a very clear way of separating books)

Thanks, Gemma,

Personally I still find it difficult to see all those 2nd, 3rd and possible soon 4th printings etc. mixed with the original 1st DKR printings - and of course I know you have already made a special DKR set only for 1st printings, thanks (it'll be my primary focus in the future).

I can see that some amazing DKR sets (like Mitol's set, all 9.8 1st printings signed by Miller) have been dethroned by sets with far inferior 1st printings, but containing several reprints, and to me that's a sad development (I fully understand that other collectors may love reprints).

Guess I have to walk the walk, so trying to separate reprints and 1st printings I just removed all my 1st printings from my DKR (with reprints) set leaving only the reprints behind - and thus changed my set from being the number 1 set to being the new the number 67 set.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=11212

I'm not much into all those DKR reprints, and if other collectors love DKR reprints I will not stand in their way.

Speaking for my set only, (Lone Wolf and Cub), I can say that reprintings ARE integral to a run.

Reprintings, especially before the era of manufactured scarcity of current comic publishing, tell an important story. LW&C number 1 had four printings, simply because First Publishing underestimated the demand for the book. There really was no way they could know how successful the book would be as they were preparing to publish it.

I understand the reasons for keeping trades out of competitive sets, (though I disagree there as well- and that is a discussion for a different day) but I do NOT see any reason to keep out reprints from competitive sets. These were actual comic books printed at the time, by the publishers, to be read. They are quite simply, "part of the run".

My second print Secret Wars nu. 1 bought by me off the rack in a 3 pack bag was loved by me then, and loved by me now, and was and is most certainly part of "Secret Wars".

Speaking for my set only, (Lone Wolf and Cub), I can say that reprintings ARE integral to a run.

Reprintings, especially before the era of manufactured scarcity of current comic publishing, tell an important story. LW&C number 1 had four printings, simply because First Publishing underestimated the demand for the book. There really was no way they could know how successful the book would be as they were preparing to publish it.

I understand the reasons for keeping trades out of competitive sets, (though I disagree there as well- and that is a discussion for a different day) but I do NOT see any reason to keep out reprints from competitive sets. These were actual comic books printed at the time, by the publishers, to be read. They are quite simply, "part of the run".

My second print Secret Wars nu. 1 bought by me off the rack in a 3 pack bag was loved by me then, and loved by me now, and was and is most certainly part of "Secret Wars".

I do understand your opinion. My problem with the DKR set is that it for years was a set made just for 1st printings, but then CGC suddenly changed the rules. I would have preferred that they did not change old and established sets, but instead made a new set with all kinds of reprints etc (like "DKR (complete with variants)"). Many persons have spent years building their sets, it does not seem very respectful to suddenly expand and drastically change old sets.

So every reprint we see of Spidey #1 should be in this set?

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=34

Seems like other rules apply to that Spidey set - like I wish they would to the old DKR set.

Well, did discuss the matter with my old DKR mentor, the one person who got me into collecting CGC books many years ago. To my great surprise he did not back me up, but told me that he changed his mind about some of the DKR reprints, those from 1986, and had actually bought a few. So his message was simply - more or less:

photo keep-calm-and-bite-the-bullet-26_zpsvoodncjo.png

And after going through the Census, he may have a point - the 1986 reprints are very rare. Maybe because they long sold for next to nothing, thus CGC'ing those books could cost you more than you could get by selling the books.

So with both CGC and my old mentor against me, I've decided to play the reprint game for some time and have rebuild my DKR set - guess my DKR set is something I truly love, and buying much the same books again may be some sort of fun. And I do feel kind of bad when taking down a set that CGC awarded me for just last year - most of all I would prefer to support this hobby. So for now - maybe this picture says it all ;)

photo DrStrangelove_zpsyoffp4hc.png

Still hope Gemma will remove those TPBs - one thing is the reprints, TPBs are still in a class of their own. And don't get me wrong - I have nothing against graded TPBs, but these should have their own set and not be mixed with ordinary comic books 2c

My rebuild and updated DKR set - now with new reprints - can be seen here:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=59

Due to a renewed interest in this subject in the Registry Expansion thread I am sticking this thread for now to ask for help in tracking down & removing all TPB's from sets. Feel free to post your removal requests here or in the Expansion thread.

Thanks for the help everyone!

@Rune - I sure did!

I'll just wait a few days to see if anyone prefers one over the other before I change the set, FYI.

More than one year has now passed, still close to no one collects TPBs - at least in the sets I monitor. Are there still plans to remove these horrible TPB infections from our beloved original sets? ;)

Best,

Rune

$0.02 from my small little corner of the TPB universe (the Wolverine Limited Series):

I'm cool with removing them from being competitive in the original book sets. Like Rune said, there's crazy amounts of printings on many of them (the Wolverine LS has 8 or 9 I think).

All I'd ask is that there is somewhere on the registry to display them. Not only do I enjoy displaying my books, but I also use the registry as a record repository for insurance purposes (God forbid I ever need to use it for that purpose!). So, non-competitive in the original book sets, their own sets, no biggie. Just somewhere please (thumbs u

$0.02 from my small little corner of the TPB universe (the Wolverine Limited Series):

I'm cool with removing them from being competitive in the original book sets. Like Rune said, there's crazy amounts of printings on many of them (the Wolverine LS has 8 or 9 I think).

All I'd ask is that there is somewhere on the registry to display them. Not only do I enjoy displaying my books, but I also use the registry as a record repository for insurance purposes (God forbid I ever need to use it for that purpose!). So, non-competitive in the original book sets, their own sets, no biggie. Just somewhere please (thumbs u

Maybe Mollie can help, if she finds the time and agrees with the suggestions above :wishluck: