• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,322 posts in this topic

Are you accounting for the change in size that the books had in the spring of '53? EC's became narrower across the board at that point, so maybe that's what you're experiencing?

I'll check that out. I only got through re-bagging/mcp'ing the Crime Suspenstories pile and Frontline Combat last night, so I'll see if it happens across all the titles.

Are you accounting for the change in size that the books had in the spring of '53? EC's became narrower across the board at that point, so maybe that's what you're experiencing?

When EC switched to the slightly smaller size, they also began using a more fragile cover stock, but the printing was improved and the trimming of the books became more reliably uniform.

When EC switched to the slightly smaller size, they also began using a more fragile cover stock, but the printing was improved and the trimming of the books became more reliably uniform.

Very true. Hence why some of the later books are so darn tough to get in grade. Some issues even the Gaines copies are rare above 8.0.

My new favorite EC of all time...

hof18.jpg

Wow! The green really pops out on this! Beautiful!!

It's something special for sure. It was one of the first books I bought a Gaines File copy of myself as it may be the most imaginative Ingels cover of them all. The coloring is also spectacular. Congrats on a top end copy of a top issue.

Are you accounting for the change in size that the books had in the spring of '53? EC's became narrower across the board at that point, so maybethat's what you're experiencing?

To agree with dukedog & Steve, many EC's were cut out of square as made. And not only did they get smaller in length and width, comparing early to late period, they also appear slimmer, less "fat" in their thickness. Hard to notice that in a slab of course.

Not that any book can't be trimmed, but in all likelihood it's normal production variances you're seeing.

Oh, and that's a sweet haunt of fear 18 Richard - a classic. It was the one original EC cover chosen by Russ Cochran when Gaines offered him his pick (since wsf 29 was unavailable.)

Ps - forgive horrid phone typos. Awful keypad on this sucky HTC phone does that. Will try to correct on a real device later. Suck it, HTC!!!! Even though I was able to edit. :)

Edited by originalisbest

Here's a recent pickup...the first issue of Animal Fables I've owned (from 1947) :cloud9:

Notice a certain resemblance between Freddy Firefly when he "flames on" and a prominent Timely character back in the day? By issue #7 of Animal Fables (the last issue of the series, as it turns out), Freddy was no longer red, but was green and yellow...ostensibly because the lawyers got involved...

animalfables4_f_zps42e4fbb7.jpg

(thumbs u Larry

Thanks, Jack.

Got this one from the Comiclink auction.

ljc0p.jpg

Contains one of the most gruesome stories in the E.C. canon. (thumbs u

The whole issue is really good, and the cover story is pretty funny, especially since the main characters in it are based on Gaines and Feldstein.

You aren't a real Fan-Addict unless you have one of these originals...I bought it from the original owner (Al Rosso-R.I.P.) for $20 in 1974.

296k9e8.jpg

2851687346_4d6c21c254_o.jpg

I always liked the ad. I think I saw this at the age of 8 or 9 and it was probably in an old Mad comic I got from my cousin.

You aren't a real Fan-Addict unless you have one of these originals...I bought it from the original owner (Al Rosso-R.I.P.) for $20 in 1974.

296k9e8.jpg

2851687346_4d6c21c254_o.jpg

I always liked the ad. I think I saw this at the age of 8 or 9 and it was probably in an old Mad comic I got from my cousin.

The house ads in Mad are priceless...I told the story of how I found Al and obtained the kit and a lot of E.C.s in one of my earliest posts...but it's probably buried on page 106 by now...

Edited by tricolorbrian