• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Those are stupendous!

A Gaines copy of a war book is a future goal of mine.

I'd like to complete a Gaines set of Frontline Combat. I bought a couple of new ones at SDCC.

Here's the first one which is not an amazing copy due to some fading on the left edge, but I got it for a good price.

DSC_00061280x9322_zps3a85c62c.jpg

Awesome! That is exactly the sort of copy I'd go for! :applause:

Cheers (thumbs u

The edges have a tanning halo, but otherwise it's a great looking book that will do for now. I'd really like to complete a Gaines Frontline set, but still have issues to go.

Those are stupendous!

I'd like to complete a Gaines set of Frontline Combat. I bought a couple of new ones at SDCC.

Here's the first one which is not an amazing copy due to some fading on the left edge, but I got it for a good price.

Wonder if it's possible that's a printing defect rather than the result of fading? hm

It looks like fading to me, add the light tanning halo the book has along the edges to that and it seems to me that the book suffered from bad storage.

Those are stupendous!

Wonder if it's possible that's a printing defect rather than the result of fading? hm

It looks like fading to me, add the light tanning halo the book has along the edges to that and it seems to me that the book suffered from bad storage.

For a few months, in 1952-53, EC's printers used a particular type of red ink that was apparently not very stable. I've noticed the same phenomenon with Weird Science 17, and especially 18. The red inks have a tendency to fade due to an unknown cause. Even some of the Gaines File copies, which have done nothing but sit around in storage, display signs of color fading in the red register. I still haven't seen a single Gaines copy of Weird Science 18 with reds that have held up against this tendency to fade.

Interesting I did not know that. Frontline 11 and Weird Science hit the stands the same month, I guess that they must have been printed at around the same time. Maybe this explains the fading on the Frontline 11. (thumbs u

You're right, they don't go together. (thumbs u

I'm still wondering about the tanning halo around the edges though.

Tanning halo, maybe from subsequent storage, or it might have happened while within the Gaines "vault". But definitely agree, the color fade on your book is an inherent printing defect, not the result of fading/light exposure. :) Nice copy!

You're right, they don't go together. (thumbs u

I'm still wondering about the tanning halo around the edges though.

Tanning halo, maybe from subsequent storage, or it might have happened while within the Gaines "vault". But definitely agree, the color fade on your book is an inherent printing defect, not the result of fading/light exposure. :) Nice copy!

Yes, that's what I thought: subsequent storage.

Cheers (thumbs u

I'm not Mr. High Grade, and I'm pretty much out of the comic-buying game these days, but I still :luhv: my little pile of ECs.

KmnK4C.jpg

Those all look like pretty decent copies to me. I'm quite the same, with one long box of EC's, and another with the three horror titles, crime, shock, and the Sci-Fi title reprints.

I've noticed that you don't normally find raggedy copies of EC's, like you might Atlas titles, so I think that even "back then", ppl tended to take better care of their EC's.