• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

The Incredible Science-Fiction run just makes me sad. I don't mean the art, which is every bit as great as it always had been. It's the stories... tales of broken dreams, unfulfilled promise, and sad, delusional characters that had once been heroes. This is no coincidence. Just look at those huge, conspicuous CCA stamps on each of the covers and try to imagine how the EC Bullpen must have felt while producing those final issues.

If you still don't see what I mean, go back and read the story, "Marked Man" (in INC SF 32, I think). We're introduced to a character, a military leader of some kind, who's a real "hard as nails" heel without an ounce of compassion. Throughout the story, he makes callous decisions that cause death and hardship for everyone around him. In other words, he's exactly the sort of bad guy who would've certainly gotten his fittingly ironic comeuppance at the end of the story... that is, if the story had been produced during the glory days of EC.

Instead, at the end of the story, he gets a medal. He's a hero.

CLa_ws33_zps58fa861a.jpg

The Incredible Science-Fiction run just makes me sad. I don't mean the art, which is every bit as great as it always had been. It's the stories... tales of broken dreams, unfulfilled promise, and sad, delusional characters that had once been heroes. This is no coincidence. Just look at those huge, conspicuous CCA stamps on each of the covers and try to imagine how the EC Bullpen must have felt while producing those final issues.

If you still don't see what I mean, go back and read the story, "Marked Man" (in INC SF 32, I think). We're introduced to a character, a military leader of some kind, who's a real "hard as nails" heel without an ounce of compassion. Throughout the story, he makes callous decisions that cause death and hardship for everyone around him. In other words, he's exactly the sort of bad guy who would've certainly gotten his fittingly ironic comeuppance at the end of the story... that is, if the story had been produced during the glory days of EC.

Instead, at the end of the story, he gets a medal. He's a hero.

CLa_ws33_zps58fa861a.jpg

..... what a cover..... this is one I REALLY want.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A recent acquisition. What red blooded hetero male doesn't consider this scenario a dream come true?

ws20CVA_zps6445602b.jpg

As long as he doesn't marry them.

Great cover and fantastic books! Wood had no equal when it came to drawing sci-fi covers imho. And Incredible Science Fiction 33 shows just how amazing Wood was.

A recent acquisition. What red blooded hetero male doesn't consider this scenario a dream come true?

ws20CVA_zps6445602b.jpg

As long as he doesn't marry them.

Great cover and fantastic books! Wood had no equal when it came to drawing sci-fi covers imho. And Incredible Science Fiction 33 shows just how amazing Wood was.

WS 20 is a must have if someone just wants a few representative E.C.'s in their collection. Mine's just a raw fine, but half the fun is thumbing through it with that fantastic cover story by Williamson/Frazetta..... I think working with Williamson really jumped Frazetta to the next level....GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

Was thinking the same thing but man o man, how nice it would be to hold that book in your hands! Congrats! (worship)

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

Was thinking the same thing but man o man, how nice it would be to hold that book in your hands! Congrats! (worship)

CGC holders are just a secure way to transport a book but once it's in my hands...CRACK!

Ken

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

CGC holders are just a secure way to transport a book but once it's in my hands...CRACK!

Ken

..... my hero :luhv:

(worship)

....GOD BLESS....

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

Ken

The Gaines Weird Science 14 that I bought in 1990 has never been slabbed. I simply wouldn't subject it to the risks involved, as miniscule as those risks may be. It's a lock for 9.6, anyway. If the spine were to ever receive the slightest tick I think I would just die.