• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,321 posts in this topic

The Incredible Science-Fiction run just makes me sad. I don't mean the art, which is every bit as great as it always had been. It's the stories... tales of broken dreams, unfulfilled promise, and sad, delusional characters that had once been heroes. This is no coincidence. Just look at those huge, conspicuous CCA stamps on each of the covers and try to imagine how the EC Bullpen must have felt while producing those final issues.

If you still don't see what I mean, go back and read the story, "Marked Man" (in INC SF 32, I think). We're introduced to a character, a military leader of some kind, who's a real "hard as nails" heel without an ounce of compassion. Throughout the story, he makes callous decisions that cause death and hardship for everyone around him. In other words, he's exactly the sort of bad guy who would've certainly gotten his fittingly ironic comeuppance at the end of the story... that is, if the story had been produced during the glory days of EC.

Instead, at the end of the story, he gets a medal. He's a hero.

CLa_ws33_zps58fa861a.jpg

Great book! And thanks for the history lesson! I always knew the guys at E.C. were bitter about the CCA, but I never knew the feeling was embedded in those later stories. Very cool.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Here is one of my Canadian edition EC books.One of the tougher to find North of the border editions, I was lucky enough to pick it up along with several other Canadian ECs in lot of GA books recently.[/font]

crimepatrol9.jpg

Edited by 427Impaler

In the top five EC covers for me. Gaines copy.

image_zpsca358ff1.jpg

..... you're a true collector, Ken ..... not many of us would have the Titanium Gnads that it would take to pop a GFC and put it in a mylar :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Was thinking the same thing but man o man, how nice it would be to hold that book in your hands! Congrats! (worship)

CGC holders are just a secure way to transport a book but once it's in my hands...CRACK!

Ken

That's the way they should be :acclaim:

My spanky new addition :)

SOTI greatness !

:whee:

flc4_zps29a52b36.jpg

flc4cert_zps15212d15.jpg

So that's where it went! Congratulations, great book. Had my eye on that copy.

Yea , I got a decent price on it so had to pick it up . been looking for a high grade copy for awhile

This one was on Greg Reece's Rare comic wall today in the Special NY event.Thought some might want to see this beauty :banana:

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/102_5279_zps763fdb50.jpg' alt='102_5279_zps763fdb50.jpg'>

Question for all you experienced EC collectors. I just ordered in golden-age sized microchamber paper and was inserting into all my ECs. On some issues the paper fits nice and flush and there is maybe 1 millimeter of paper that isn't completely covered by the front cover, just due to where staples were placed and the binding in general.

On a number of the comics though, there is anywhere from a 1/4" showing, or the paper shows the the book has a slightly diagonal cut from top to bottom, if that makes any sense. The staples aren't misaligned so it's definetely something with the right edge.

Can I assume these books are trimmed? Or were the printing presses back in the day notorious for cutting golden age ECs misaligned? The only reason I'm unsure is because the edges, if they were trimmed, look like it was done many years ago. Not sure when people started doing that to make books look better...

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm collecting a low/mid-grade run so being trimmed doesn't bother me, but I'd at least like to know in case I end up trading/selling any extras if I upgrade....

Looking at all these sweet EC's makes me wish I never sent my collection to Heritage to be auctioned off last year. Had all but the rarest of the rare ones to boot! I still have my Lucky Fights It Through though!

Question for all you experienced EC collectors. I just ordered in golden-age sized microchamber paper and was inserting into all my ECs. On some issues the paper fits nice and flush and there is maybe 1 millimeter of paper that isn't completely covered by the front cover, just due to where staples were placed and the binding in general.

On a number of the comics though, there is anywhere from a 1/4" showing, or the paper shows the the book has a slightly diagonal cut from top to bottom, if that makes any sense. The staples aren't misaligned so it's definetely something with the right edge.

Can I assume these books are trimmed? Or were the printing presses back in the day notorious for cutting golden age ECs misaligned? The only reason I'm unsure is because the edges, if they were trimmed, look like it was done many years ago. Not sure when people started doing that to make books look better...

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm collecting a low/mid-grade run so being trimmed doesn't bother me, but I'd at least like to know in case I end up trading/selling any extras if I upgrade....

I've agonized over this question for many years, especially in the case of a copy of Weird Science 11 I have. Comparing hundreds of different copies, I discovered a wide range of variables in the trimming of this issue. Very few, in fact, got trimmed perfectly. Most of them are square, with parallel tops and bottoms, but the right side was often trimmed so the books were slightly more narrow at the top.

I've seen this in many cases of lower grade books, where there would be no benefit to a collector or dealer in trimming the books. I've also seen it in the case of some Gaines File Copies, where the same logic is doubly true.

Another phenomenon you'll notice, is that some GA books came off the trimming machine as parallelograms, where opposite sides are parallel, but none of the corners form perfect right angles.

148136.jpg.7e2c296babeef7cb82d64aa081d33056.jpg