• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who wants it??

31 posts in this topic

One freakin' reply? This is one of the most important books in comic history, and it's a Gaines File Copy, and it's graded a NM/MT 9.8, and only one freakin' reply??

Get your heads out of your arses people, and enjoy one of the nicest comics on the market!!!!! mad.gif

P.S. The NM guide price is $2,300, so I think this should sell for at least $10K. Murph, how much do you think the reserve should be?

I can't remember what the 1st app of the Crypt Keeper is. The EC books are incredible Brian, and you really should get some and read them. The stories are cutting edge, and the art is some of the best ever.

If you PM me your address, I'll mail you some reprints for free.

Thanks for the offer but I don't have much reading time currently. My uncle was a MAJOR EC horror reader when he was in his late teens, early twenties..they were even reading them when they were over in Vietnam...said they're a great read, may have to go over to his place some time and borrow his collection of them.

Brian

You guys have done it now! I had to go and lookup previous sales of this book on Heritage's website - and I found out quickly that it's affordable! I'm afraid I may be sucked into collecting EC's soon if you all keep it up...too many comics...too many genres...must...keep...focus...finish current want list first....BAH! Hulk smash puny focused collector, HULK BUY EVERYTHING!!

If u want controversy, try Wally Wood's KKK cover & shocking story.

Shock Suspense is notable for their social commentary stories, such as this one. Back in early 50's America, while The Beaver was getting into trouble and listening to June tell him to wait until Ward got home, Bill Gaines was addressing issues such issues as racism and social hypocrisy quite along the lines of the absolute best of The Twilight Zone. The thing EC had going for them? The media was repeatable - that is - a comic book. VCRs did not exist in the 50's and the best one could do was what I did - get your tape recorder and record the dialogue of important tv broadcasts.

But you know? While EC DID contribute quite a bit to the comic code- they really DID have a social conscience. They understood and recognized hypocrisy, racism, sexism etc etc etc and published stories that addressed these issues in the most graphic way. Unfortunatley, many folk looked at the "graphic way" and ignored the object lesson!

It's funny you mention The Beave...one of my favorite episodes is where Beaver and his friends all purchased a "pre-code horror" T-shirt (with a gruesome monster head/face on it or something to that affect) and promised each other to wear it, but when the day came, only the Beave wore his! The teacher must've listened to Wertham, as she was repulsed and of course the Beave got sent to the office... blush.gif

But you know? While EC DID contribute quite a bit to the comic code- they really DID have a social conscience. They understood and recognized hypocrisy, racism, sexism etc etc etc and published stories that addressed these issues in the most graphic way. Unfortunatley, many folk looked at the "graphic way" and ignored the object lesson!

Very true. I just read the Senate SubCommitee hearings on comic books from 1954, and dear old Dr. Wertham quoted many passages from the EC Shock stories out of context, giving the impression that Gaines and company weren't trying to stop racism but were racists themselves! Gaines was livid about this, and commented on it in his rebuttal of Wertham. He questioned the good doctor's sanity since even a 7 year old could see that the story was meant to combat prejudice, not to foster it!

Either Wertham was a sensationalistic kook who didn't care about the truth, or he was totally incompetent.