• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

Harvey,

Thanks for the props, I have flaunted these shamelessly when I bought them back in the summer but I just think they are just awesome, especially issue #33, probably my favorite covers from the 50's. Here's one more I own, highest and only one at that grade in the census.

SMC34.jpg

Jayman,

I have often wondered about the wings on the feet as they don't seem to be consistent through the years for some reason. Here is his first cover apperance and he doesn't have wings here but he may in the book (can't remember). Even in the crappy condition it is in this is my pride and joy.

MMC4.jpg

Actually the front cover is chewed because of water damage but the inside pages (other than being slightly warped at the bottom) are intact. Love that thick GA pulp. You should smell this sucker. You don't see these around for sale too often, unless your willing to pay $4,000+. One day I'll own a cleaner copy. cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ahh...yep, that was the seller, Paull. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As far as I can tell, there's no reading crease on the book. It really looks pristine. For a book with a paper cover from 1950, it's in astonishing shape!

But this is probably the creme de la creme of them all, as far as I know. I won it recently on e-bay for $385.

851202-IfanABombFalls.jpg

The e-bay seller wrote the following in his description:

You are seeing a comic book that many thought did not exist. This is the cover of IF AN A-BOMB FALLS. This COLD WAR CIVIL DEFENSE COMIC BOOK was produced in 1951, at the height of ATOMIC PARANOIA.

The rarity of this comic book cannot be overstated. This comic book is not even supposed to exist. According to an authoritative article about this publisher:

If an A-Bomb Falls (U S Government, 1951, 8 pages) Rare. Designed as a brochure, but only published as a color strip on the front page of the Washington Post in July 1951. Only a few hand bound copies of the brochure were made. 2 copies are believed to exist.

Well, here is another copy of this rare comic book. Perhaps this copy was hand-bound and assembled and distributed by the Civil Defense Directors of RALEIGH COUNTY, West Virginia whose names are stamped on the back cover - HAROLD SOPHER and PAUL FOURNEY

Does anyone know anything about this book?

Here is another recently acquired book from e-bay.

851209-Komrad-Ivan.jpg

The seller described it as follows:

What we have here is "KOMRAD IVAN - AN INTRODUCTION TO YOUR WARSAW PACT COUNTERPART", an early 1970s US GOVERNMENT GIVEAWAY COMIC BOOK that INTRODUCES THE SOVIET MILITARY to the US infantryman. It was used at Ft. Benning, Georgia, the major Infantry training center in the United States (info found online).

This is from the early 1970s and so right in the MIDDLE OF THE COLD WAR and is narrated by IVAN IVANOVICH - a WARSAW PACT SOLDIER - who discusses ALL THE MILITARY MACHINERY, GUNS and PEOPLE in the Warsaw Pact countries ie. the SOVIET UNION.

I have included many pictures to show you what this scarce comic is all about. I don't see the need to list ALL the machinery listed here but suffice to say if you want to know what the Russians were up to during the late Vietnam era, this is the best book out there for a quick refresher course.

Done in "AMERICAN-ESE" it is "translated' from Russian by this Ivan guy who explains what he uses what the Russian or WARSAW PACT countries carry as munitions and what they drive...tanks, anti-aircraft air-defence missiles, warheads, rocket launchers etc...IT'S ALL HERE.

The booklet is about 5" x 7" and 28 pages in BLACK, WHITE and RED with the FC and CF both VERY SECURE. The book has LIGHT GENERAL WEAR including a crease from being folded but really in pretty decent condition. DEFINITELY SCARCE TO RARE, this comic is an educational United States government comic book with VERY FEW PRINTED snd VERY VERY LOW DISTRIBUTION (Fort Benning only)...

Anyone shed further light on this one?

Esquire,

Is that the Impact Press variant of the Red Iceberg?

I knew you were going to ask that! I was scanning that baby in at 3 am and said to myself, I should scan the back as well cause HD is only going to ask which version it is anyway! poke2.gif

I believe it is the third version, i.e., has the explanation of the comic on the back.

Any idea of how many of these books exist? popcorn.gif

I believe it is the third version, i.e., has the explanation of the comic on the back.

Any idea of how many of these books exist? popcorn.gif

You are putting together a pretty impressive collection. hail.gif

I believe the numbers are as high as ten copies for this version. I still would love to see the back.

All of the books have an explanation on the back but the narratives differ on some variants.

The real identifier is the distributor or organization that sponsored the book. This is written on the

bottom in big bold letters. If the copy does not have this, then it very well may be the “explains comic book”

version. One of these days, I should scan all of the variants for reference purposes.