• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rude Comic Shop Experiences

114 posts in this topic

I created this post because I want to know if anyone else had ever had a rude experience in a comic shop. Today was my first time ever, that I felt not welcomed or belonged in a comic shop.

I celebrated a birthday recently, and I received as one of the gifts, a $50 gift certificate to Fat Jack's Comiccrypt in Oaklyn NJ.

Here's a Yelp review for the Fat Jack's Comicrypt at Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia, PA. (a different location than the one mentioned above).

Reviewer: D L.

Philadelphia, PA

5/22/2013

Rating: 2 stars

I don't know what it is about this particular store, but I've gone in a number of times (it's the closest comics shop to my home), and I am consistently made to feel like an outsider. If I attempt to join a conversation with the employees or other customers I am treated like an interloper and met with curt, disdainful responses.

They'll take my money at Fat Jack's but they won't treat me like a valued member of their community. The only words I regularly encounter are "credit or debit?" before I'm shooed out the door. This experience has become so typical for me that I wonder if the employees have been instructed to be unfriendly to non-regulars. I just can't figure out how that's a good business strategy.

Comic book stores, like many specialty shops, are not routinely known for being welcoming to outsiders, but Fat Jack's takes it to another level of snobbery. I highly recommend Locust Moon Comics in West Philly. Even though it's geographically inconvenient for me, I am always treated well by the owners and employees.

I feel this way too often

Next time some dude ignores me while chit-chatting I'm gonna say 'excuse me I don't mean to break up your discussion of who could win in a fight between Superman and Thor but could you help me find something?'

BAZINGA!

Next time some dude ignores me while chit-chatting I'm gonna say 'excuse me I don't mean to break up your discussion of who could win in a fight between Superman and Thor but could you help me find something?'

BAZINGA!

That's Awesome

I'm fine with people not asking me if I'm looking for anything. Actually, I don't like it when anyone gets in my bizness like that. A couple of weeks ago a bank "greeter" actually asked me what I was in the bank to do, I told her "BANK STUFF"...is it any of her F-ing business? It's a bank I'm in probably once a day, all the regulars know me, she works there two days and needs to know who I am? Did she think I was improperly using it as a shortcut to get into my office building (which I often do)? If so, mind your own business!

But not to say thanks after you buy something or "have a nice day" or "enjoy" or anything like that is just bad business.

Also, if you ask whether they have a legitimate comic related item they could at least put on an act like they're searching their brain banks to remember if they have it rather than just do an automatic "no." an automatic no just means they don't want to be bothered.

anyway, was it fat jack or slim mike?

I created this post because I want to know if anyone else had ever had a rude experience in a comic shop. Today was my first time ever, that I felt not welcomed or belonged in a comic shop.

I celebrated a birthday recently, and I received as one of the gifts, a $50 gift certificate to Fat Jack's Comiccrypt in Oaklyn NJ.

Here's a Yelp review for the Fat Jack's Comicrypt at Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia, PA. (a different location than the one mentioned above).

Reviewer: D L.

Philadelphia, PA

5/22/2013

Rating: 2 stars

I don't know what it is about this particular store, but I've gone in a number of times (it's the closest comics shop to my home), and I am consistently made to feel like an outsider. If I attempt to join a conversation with the employees or other customers I am treated like an interloper and met with curt, disdainful responses.

They'll take my money at Fat Jack's but they won't treat me like a valued member of their community. The only words I regularly encounter are "credit or debit?" before I'm shooed out the door. This experience has become so typical for me that I wonder if the employees have been instructed to be unfriendly to non-regulars. I just can't figure out how that's a good business strategy.

Comic book stores, like many specialty shops, are not routinely known for being welcoming to outsiders, but Fat Jack's takes it to another level of snobbery. I highly recommend Locust Moon Comics in West Philly. Even though it's geographically inconvenient for me, I am always treated well by the owners and employees.

I feel this way too often

I've shopped in the same store for over 20 years. I love the owners but have started to feel this way by their new staff. It happens from time to time. It has made me ponder if it is worth driving the extra 15 minutes when a store opened just down the road from me.

Well if they worded it like that I agree. If LCS owner asked me 'what are you in here to do?" I'd probably respond with I'm here to rip your face off.

I'm fine with people not asking me if I'm looking for anything. Actually, I don't like it when anyone gets in my bizness like that. A couple of weeks ago a bank "greeter" actually asked me what I was in the bank to do, I told her "BANK STUFF"...is it any of her F-ing business? It's a bank I'm in probably once a day, all the regulars know me, she works there two days and needs to know who I am? Did she think I was improperly using it as a shortcut to get into my office building (which I often do)? If so, mind your own business!

Well, if she was hired to be a bank greeter, she was probably just doing her job. And you probably didn't look that great taking out your angst on the underlings.

I once walked into a comic shop and I asked the shop keeper if he gave discounts, he said "no", and I said, "see ya later," and walked out.

honestly, don't take it personally, but that's a weird way to start a discussion though. i'd probably be put off by it too. maybe something like "are these prices negotiable?" (which asks exactly the same question, but just more nicely) or "if I buy multiple items will you work with me?" or "do you give a cash discount?" would probably get a better response.

one of my main shops, who is always willing to negotiate a little, would probably say "no" too as it is just too in your face for some folks. but if you go up to him with some back issues that add u to $65 and ask if he'll take $50, nine times out of ten he'd say yes.

Well, if she was hired to be a bank greeter, she was probably just doing her job. And you probably didn't look that great taking out your angst on the underlings.

no, my angst was just in my head. i think "bank stuff" wasn't a nasty response. i do understand they have a problem with folks napping in their lounge area and such, although i think most of them tend to be customers.

none of the other greeters get so personal. usually "can we help you today"? i don't have a problem with that. these things involve subtle nuances.

Ha ha you should have said well that's too bad I was planning on spending $500 and all I wanted was $1 off.

BAZINGA!

I think the bank greeters do that to keep the lines short. If you're making a deposit they'll fill out your deposit slip for you, so on. Also they like to direct people to the ATM when things are busy. "Here, it's easy, let me show you!" to people who in this day and age have still never made a deposit at the ATM.

Sometimes I need to see a teller too, and I just say that to the person screening the line. It's no big deal, no need to get rude with them. They also do it at the post office.

Yelp filtered your review be sure to leave a google maps review too they dont filter.

https://plus.google.com/101265831267395687949/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

One of the reviews is "They are animal lovers." yeah, I guess so if they let them walk all over their books. :facepalm:

Actually I'm surprised no one has brought that up. If they have cats walking on their boxes, are they also spraying the boxes or chewing on things? Animals and comics are a risky combination for me.

no, my angst was just in my head. i think "bank stuff" wasn't a nasty response. i do understand they have a problem with folks napping in their lounge area and such, although i think most of them tend to be customers.

none of the other greeters get so personal. usually "can we help you today"? i don't have a problem with that. these things involve subtle nuances.

For awhile, my bank made their tellers shake the hands of customers, which really annoyed me. And you come off as rude if you don't want to shake hands. I used to spread my items out to fill my hands so it would too awkward to wait to shake me. Now we have a really awkward teller who is just awkward in general, but tells me what she's doing. "And I'm going to the extra step today to provide a good customer service point. Would like you like a lollipop or a balance on your account?"

I was in an LCS last month, one I seldom go to for many reasons. I don't mind being left alone while I'm browsing through the back issue bins. But I had a few books in hand then walked up the counter. I was looking at the wall books behind the counter. They're too far away to get a good sense of their condition, but I was trying to get a closer look at an FF 48 (low grade, but cheap price) and a couple of ASMs. The guy behind the counter (a man in his 40s) was busily chatting with two guys (whether customers or employees, I couldn't tell) in their 20s about some online Magic the Gathering site that sends you foil cards after so many hours of play, or something like that.

After a few minutes, I got curious as to how long it would take the man behind the counter to notice me. I kept looking at the books even leaning over the counter (I was about five feet to the right of where the register is) and staring very intently. After about ten minutes, they were still jabbering about MtG. There was no way the man behind the counter didn't notice me, but he never acknowledged me.

I finally took my bin books right to the register. He kept talking about Magic for another 30 seconds or so then rang me up for my big $15. He never said anything like "Was there anything you wanted to look at?" I decided not to ask and just left.

I once walked into a comic shop and I asked the shop keeper if he gave discounts, he said "no", and I said, "see ya later," and walked out.

honestly, don't take it personally, but that's a weird way to start a discussion though. i'd probably be put off by it too. maybe something like "are these prices negotiable?" (which asks exactly the same question, but just more nicely) or "if I buy multiple items will you work with me?" or "do you give a cash discount?" would probably get a better response.

one of my main shops, who is always willing to negotiate a little, would probably say "no" too as it is just too in your face for some folks. but if you go up to him with some back issues that add u to $65 and ask if he'll take $50, nine times out of ten he'd say yes.

I agree. I've had customers step in for the first time and do this exact thing, however. 90% of our merchandise is deep-discounted up front, so when someone demands to know if I'll give them a discount before they've even looked around, they are assuming sight unseen that I'm overpriced. I find that rude.

Ha ha you should have said well that's too bad I was planning on spending $500 and all I wanted was $1 off.

BAZINGA!

That would never work with me. Of course, I hopefully wouldn't be doing anything to be construed as rude to begin with, but if a customer ever did have issues with me, and stormed out, claiming how much he would have spent is meaningless to me. Even if it's true. Even if he opens his wallet and has $500 in it, or $5000, or $50,000. Some of us aren't all that money-oriented as people on these boards like to think. I would regret if someone had a bad experience in my store, period. But if I did everything I could to make the customer satisfied, and still to no avail, there isn't any amount of money on earth that's going to make me regret losing his business.

I don't think saying 'no' is doing everything you could to make the customer satisfied....