• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Birdman OFFICIAL movie thread ( ;-) starring Michael Keaton

64 posts in this topic

Saw it this weekend. It was fantastic. Michael Keaton and Edward Norton were fantastic. Really interesting premise and message. I definitely want to see it again. Hope others are liking it as well.

Oscar Favorites Include ‘Selma,’ ‘Boyhood’ and ‘Birdman’

--------------------

For a good part of the year, experts — you can visit their forecasting here at goldderby.com — had Michael Keaton as the leader in this category for his role as a recovering movie superhero seeking Broadway’s validation in Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s “Birdman.”

The film and Mr. Keaton’s performance have won critical acclaim, and Mr. Keaton’s own comeback narrative adds to the appeal. But the awards are also a popularity contest, and though Mr. Keaton has a long career behind him, he is also up against the very winning Eddie Redmayne, who plays Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything.”

--------------------

So the prediction is Birdman may end up as a runner-up.

Saw it a couple of months back and loved it. Keaton is straight up terrific in the movie. Edward Norton is hilarious, and from all reports his role probably wasn't a stretch.

The "one shot" gimmick works wonders and feels seamless. Really a singular movie-going experience.

I'd still rather see Nightcrawler again, though.

Complete List Of 2015 GOLDEN GLOBES Nominees

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical

“Birdman,” Regency Enterprises and M Productions and Le Grisbi Productions; Fox Searchlight Pictures

“The Grand Budapest Hotel,” American Empirical Picture; Fox Searchlight Pictures

“Into the Woods,” Disney; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

“Pride,” Pathé Productions Limited, British Broadcasting Corporation, The British Film Institute and Calamity Films; CBS Films Inc.

“St. Vincent,” Chernin Entertainment; The Weinstein Company

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical

Ralph Fiennes, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

Bill Murray, “St. Vincent”

Joaquin Phoenix, “Inherent Vice”

Christoph Waltz, “Big Eyes”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”

Jessica Chastain, “A Most Violent Year”

Keira Knightley, “The Imitation Game”

Emma Stone, “Birdman”

Meryl Streep, “Into the Woods”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Robert Duvall, “The Judge”

Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood”

Edward Norton, “Birdman”

Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher”

J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”

Best Director – Motion Picture

Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

Ava DuVernay, “Selma”

David Fincher, “Gone Girl”

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, “Birdman”

Richard Linklater, “Boyhood”

Best Original Score – Motion Picture

Alexandre Desplat, “The Imitation Game”

Johann Johannsson, “The Theory of Everything”

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, “Gone Girl”

Antonio Sanchez, “Birdman”

Hans Zimmer, “Interstellar”

Saw this yesterday, not my cup but I can see how this will sweep many awards this year at the oscars.. It was just a little too intense for me, the seamless cinematography made me get an anxiety attack almost 15 min into the movie.. I actually liked Ed Norton's performance better.. Thats the kinda Ed I remember from American History X.. Very confident, overpowering and in control. He should always get roles like that!

Saw it a couple of months back and loved it. Keaton is straight up terrific in the movie. Edward Norton is hilarious, and from all reports his role probably wasn't a stretch.

The "one shot" gimmick works wonders and feels seamless. Really a singular movie-going experience.

The "one shot" is not a gimmick. It's a story telling device which is really important depending on how you interpreted the film. I'm gonna put much of this in spoilers for people who haven't seen the movie.

The entire movie takes place in his mind that's why it's a one shot. The Carver quote at the beginning of the movie is very important. "'and what did you want?' 'To call myself beloved to feel myself beloved on the earth'". The first shot of the film (which lasts all of about a second, so don't be surprised if you missed it) is of dead jellyfish. This means nothing until you've seen the movie and then it makes sense. Riggan is laying on the beach dying from the Jelly Fish stings. As he is lying there, we get the smash cut to the title sequence and then another cut to the fall of icarus. Riggan is seeing his fall from grace. His one desire is to be accepted and so in his final moments of life his brain does exactly that. It concocts a world in which he is doing that, where he is able to live out the a world in which he finds what he wanted. The reason for the one shot is because his life is "flashing before his eyes". He's made peace with his wife and with his daughter. He receives a standing ovation and shows up the evil play critic. But most of all he accepts the fact that Birdman will always be a part of him. This is symbolized by the fact that he shoots his nose off (his beak) and then wakes up in the hospital bed with it back and once again Birdman is there with him. The second cut is at 1:43:46, where we see seagulls swooping down onto the beach at dawn to eat the dead jellyfish. Presumably that cut is his coming "out" of it and regaining consciousness at his last moment, then slipping back into it, accepting it, and experiencing death.

Honestly a beautiful movie and I hope it sweeps. Keaton is fantastic in it, I don't think he can get enough praise for this roll.

The reason why I think this will be a big hit at the Oscars is because it pretty much puts out all the filth about actors/actresses self centered egotistical behaviors. Anyone and everyone who's experienced admiration on stage/screen is bitten by the "Love me more" bug.. There are quite a few sad stories about actors who took their lives after "not being relevant". There's a jewish/Israeli comedian, David Goldenberg, who recently committed suicide while in prison after he was charged with hiring goons to assault and beat up high ranking network personnel and critics of his act. This reminded me of his sad story more than anything.

Alas, not to sound too dark, here's a little snippet from Seinfeld that summarizes my thoughts on the movie

Golden Globe Goes To Michael Keaton for BIRDMAN

----------------------

Michael Keaton, in a widely expected win, was named best actor in a film comedy or musical for “Birdman.” With the award, he seemed well on the way toward an Oscar for a bravura performance as a stage actor locked in a life-or-death struggle with his own potential. But only if he bests the potential nominee Eddie Redmayne, who won the Globe for best actor in a film drama for his portrayal of the genius Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything.”

----------------------

Alejandro González Iñárritu didn’t have a message when he was among the winners for the “Birdman” screenplay — he just talked about the mysterious show business-ness of its self-referential story.

----------------------

The "one shot" is not a gimmick. It's a story telling device which is really important depending on how you interpreted the film. I'm gonna put much of this in spoilers for people who haven't seen the movie.

The entire movie takes place in his mind that's why it's a one shot. The Carver quote at the beginning of the movie is very important. "'and what did you want?' 'To call myself beloved to feel myself beloved on the earth'". The first shot of the film (which lasts all of about a second, so don't be surprised if you missed it) is of dead jellyfish. This means nothing until you've seen the movie and then it makes sense. Riggan is laying on the beach dying from the Jelly Fish stings. As he is lying there, we get the smash cut to the title sequence and then another cut to the fall of icarus. Riggan is seeing his fall from grace. His one desire is to be accepted and so in his final moments of life his brain does exactly that. It concocts a world in which he is doing that, where he is able to live out the a world in which he finds what he wanted. The reason for the one shot is because his life is "flashing before his eyes". He's made peace with his wife and with his daughter. He receives a standing ovation and shows up the evil play critic. But most of all he accepts the fact that Birdman will always be a part of him. This is symbolized by the fact that he shoots his nose off (his beak) and then wakes up in the hospital bed with it back and once again Birdman is there with him. The second cut is at 1:43:46, where we see seagulls swooping down onto the beach at dawn to eat the dead jellyfish. Presumably that cut is his coming "out" of it and regaining consciousness at his last moment, then slipping back into it, accepting it, and experiencing death.

Honestly a beautiful movie and I hope it sweeps. Keaton is fantastic in it, I don't think he can get enough praise for this roll.

:applause:

I hadn't seen this until a few weeks ago, I agree with what you wrote

Simply beautiful, challenging film. It should win.