• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper/Modern v. Bronze?

16 posts in this topic

Anyone feel like some of the hysteria around hot coppers (which i define to include books from 1980 on for my purposes here) and moderns that has really picked up in the last few years has pulled dollars away from 1970's bronze books? I'm not talking about keys like IM 55 or some book that has gotten hot due to a movie, but your more generic "good books" (but not keys) from that era? i guess the problem is collectors can't be chasing everything at once and there's only so much money to go around. or maybe i'm just imagining things? i'm not talking about vs. 1993, more like ebay of 3-8 years ago.

I don't think it applies to 9.6-9.8 calibre books as much or your Thanos/GOTG/X books being helped by movies, but it feels like 8.0 - 9.0 books that used to sell for $8-12ish seem to be getting more mediocre prices. Purely anecdotal true, but I have pulled a bunch of books like these for "for sale" threads here and after checking ebay results decided not to list them as it wasn't worthwhile/I didn't want to sell them at a discount off a typical ebay sales prices. For example, I was going to put up a decent looking Invaders Annual 1 (Shomberg cover) and a nice Hulk 200, but based on recent ebay sales, it just wasn't worth the bother and I remember selling these in the past in the $7-$15 range.

I really hope so, as more money spent on useless Moderns means less attention to the books I buy.

+1000

Of course, selling flash-in-the-pan moderns to buy better older books is quite sweet as well

Higher grade (9.2 and up) "filler" Bronze books sell for less than $2 each these days. It's very depressing.

But most people predicted this long ago, and shook their heads at the insane prices of mid-run books with absolutely no importance from a character or artist/writer perspective.

CGC drove these books out of sight, and now we're see the rubber band effect where they drop back to old price levels.

But this is also a good time to buy, as all the money seems to be centered on "hot first appearances".

Higher grade (9.2 and up) "filler" Bronze books sell for less than $2 each these days. It's very depressing.

But most people predicted this long ago, and shook their heads at the insane prices of mid-run books with absolutely no importance from a character or artist/writer perspective.

CGC drove these books out of sight, and now we're see the rubber band effect where they drop back to old price levels.

But this is also a good time to buy, as all the money seems to be centered on "hot first appearances".

+1

This is to be expected with BA. Look at SA, as an example, or even GA. Unless it has a 1st appearance/classic cover/something special a common issue is just that....common. Why pay a premium for common run filler?

I have a ton of 50% off high grade (VF to NM) common SA and BA in my convention stock that sit there (basically, every non-key/hot/classic cover book I pick up in auction lots or collections). Once they hit the one year in the box mark I take them to a LCS that pays 30% - 40% for them and let them go. It makes more sense to me to recycle that money into keys/1st apps/classic covers/etc. and have them sit for a couple of years than holding onto slow selling commons.

That being said, the action in CA keys/1st apps/hot books is the same thing we saw 10 or so years ago with "common" BA keys/1st apps/hot books. It all goes in cycles.

FWIW, look at other hobbies as foresighting for comics - the key cards/coins/stamps/etc. increase in value while the common items stagnate or drop as the collecting demographic changes.

Well, we've seen your 9.2s . . . :eyeroll:

Welp, since my clients don't have a problem with my grading that pretty much means you're less-than-nothing. They're certainly a lot more important around this website than YOU are.

That's not me saying I'm perfect, either. I try and learn more about how to be better every day. What do YOU do?

...not much, other than constantly make snarky replies to every one of my posts.

Peace,

Chip

This depends on the books. The stuff I collect goes up in price regardless. I would say copper goes up slower than other eras with the exception of a few books. The same goes for modern, only certain books gain value.

For bronze books I like the Bat/Tech keys. You can't go wrong with hulk 181. For copper it's tricky. For the most part in either don't like the books or just don't need them. There is so much supply for high grades it becomes redundant. For example how many ASM 300s do you see go up ok eBay at NM condition... Too many.

Once they hit the one year in the box mark I take them to a LCS that pays 30% - 40% for them and let them go.

------

criminey, do i have to go to an LCS in Alberta to sell my extras like that?

I have a ton of 50% off high grade (VF to NM) common SA and BA in my convention stock that sit there (basically, every non-key/hot/classic cover book I pick up in auction lots or collections).

-------------

I kind of feel like genuine NM SA and pre-1980 BA are going to sell pretty decently even if generic run books. Those are the ones that seem to sell. Divad is constantly putting up examples of nothing books, but sharp ones, that he sells for a lot, for example.