• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, gadzukes said:

Cap 1 5.5 "conserved" on Clink.

$71,000

I honestly am not sure what to think of that price.  Part of me thinks it might be low (but I think it's because I have a conserved Cap 1 xD)

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D5%23Item_1530100&id=1530100&itemType=0

1.jpeg

"Conserved" and married.  

Isn't that like , what , about 25% blue label value?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 12/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

The reason I ask is because clearly most of us can't afford a CA 1, but I'd love to own a piece of Kirby comic history from the '40s/

I don’t think there’s a “Show Us Your Kirby’s!” thread, if you wanted to take a run at starting one. And you’re right: owning some Kirby is Golden Age 101.

I'm struggling right now on a potential purchase. I've come across an art commission Kirby did of Captain America for someone in the 70's, at a convention I believe. Of course signed by him as well. They're asking $5K for it and I just have no idea if that's good, or way over priced. I could just as easily see something like that being worth $2K-$3K, and I can't find a similar sale to compare it to. I know Kirby OA pages sell for stupid amounts, but a small portrait of Cap I have no clue. It's the size of like a standard printer page of paper, 8x11.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 12/27/2021 at 2:30 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I'm struggling right now on a potential purchase. I've come across an art commission Kirby did of Captain America for someone in the 70's, at a convention I believe. Of course signed by him as well. They're asking $5K for it and I just have no idea if that's good, or way over priced. I could just as easily see something like that being worth $2K-$3K, and I can't find a similar sale to compare it to. I know Kirby OA pages sell for stupid amounts, but a small portrait of Cap I have no clue. It's the size of like a standard printer page of paper, 8x11.

Here’s a great thread in the OA section on common Kirby fakes and such. And even if it’s real (which of course we hope for you!) the guys hanging out there are also the folks with a pretty good idea of what it might reasonably go for:

On 12/27/2021 at 12:03 AM, Readcomix said:

Here’s a great thread in the OA section on common Kirby fakes and such. And even if it’s real (which of course we hope for you!) the guys hanging out there are also the folks with a pretty good idea of what it might reasonably go for:

Kirby pencil pieces are a minefield, and have only gotten worse as prices have gone up and the opportuntities for bad behavior without consequence have gotten more solid.  BTW, he rarely drew at conventions, fwiw.

On 12/27/2021 at 2:30 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Hey LDark, how ya been? The piece you are considering, is there any sales history that you know of? Particularly online auction/sales history or even in person auction house history?

I found a few recent sales on HA of Kirby sketches. You've probably already seen them but here they are. 

Jack Kirby - Black Panther Illustration Original Art (c. 1970s) 7K

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-black-panther-illustration-original-art-c-1970s-/a/322143-49124.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Jack Kirby - The Thing San Diego Comic Con Panel Event Illustration (30x40) 13K

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-the-thing-san-diego-comic-con-panel-event-illustration-original-art-1978-/a/7246-97271.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Myself I couldn't buy it if I didn't have some sort of paper trail of the sketch and/or sales because I'd always be wondering if it is legit. Even though it probably is real that slight chance it isn't would haunt me. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:55 AM, glendgold said:

Kirby pencil pieces are a minefield, and have only gotten worse as prices have gone up and the opportuntities for bad behavior without consequence have gotten more solid.  BTW, he rarely drew at conventions, fwiw.

I've heard stories of Kirby doing quick sketches for kids who went to his house, if they were polite and he was in the mood. 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, shadroch said:

I've heard stories of Kirby doing quick sketches for kids who went to his house, if they were polite and he was in the mood. 

Yes.  And sometimes he sent quick sketches to fans in the mail. He also did more extensive commissions if you paid him. However -- generally speaking -- he didn't draw at conventions.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, D84 said:

giphy-2.gif.7327d920c23b1809ccbf345f61ca09f7.gif

Just being facetious, and for the record I'm not a Heritage hater -- I buy from them all the time and factor the buyer's premium into my bids like everyone else.  I just note that you have to be careful when reading their realized prices to know whether or not the BP is included because there is some inconsistency depending on context.

Does the Hive knowledge here include any further info on the restored copy for sale at Met?  Just wondering if this is the first time it's being offered or if it has any history.  The trimming doesn't bother me in the least.  I see it as improving the presentation and am happy it lowers the price as much as it does.

Captain America #1

cap1.2174.jpeg

On 12/30/2021 at 2:42 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Does the Hive knowledge here include any further info on the restored copy for sale at Met?  Just wondering if this is the first time it's being offered or if it has any history.  The trimming doesn't bother me in the least.  I see it as improving the presentation and am happy it lowers the price as much as it does.

Captain America #1

cap1.2174.jpeg

seems a bit faded.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Cap 1 already at $1MM+ on heritage. :applause:

Welcome to the seven digits club Cap.  What kept ya? 

I'll say it ends up between $2.5MM-$3MM when all is said and done.  

-J.

*Edit- Had to update my final hammer estimate.  

This price will drive the price up on the under copies if it hits anywhere near your estimate....Cap #1 has always been a favorite of mine.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:17 AM, JB123 said:

In need of a front cover and a centerfold.......

Anyone?

Thanks

JB

I am already on the lookout for a centerfold for a friend.  I think lots are chasing that.  Good luck!