• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

latest on comic databases

19 posts in this topic

What database out there offers the best capabailities for scanning/indexing comics and uploading information to ebay when the time comes?

I've never done an index of my comics. I pretty much stopped putting them in order about 6 years ago, so I have about 4,000 books that are arranged by title, but the other 6,000 or so are shoved in boxes haphazard.

It's almost not worth thinking about organizing them... so many boxes, so little space! But I wouldn like to know what I have in there soI don't buy my 11th copy of Thor 211.

Personally, i use www.comicspriceguide.com It has a good interface (at least I think), enough places to put price paid, defects etc. They have 3 different style checkists, complete, haves, and don't haves. The site also has a guide to it. Some of the prices seem high, some low, but that is why it (and the OS) is a guide. The site updates regularly, and has pics of all the books (at least the ones I collect). Membership is reasonable and I will continue to use it for a long time. yay.gif

Personally, i use www.comicspriceguide.com It has a good interface (at least I think), enough places to put price paid, defects etc. They have 3 different style checkists, complete, haves, and don't haves. The site also has a guide to it. Some of the prices seem high, some low, but that is why it (and the OS) is a guide. The site updates regularly, and has pics of all the books (at least the ones I collect). Membership is reasonable and I will continue to use it for a long time. yay.gif

I use comicspriceguide.com extensively too. I've also made my own catalogue of my books using MS Excel, in a similar style that C.P.G. does. I do like the looks of that Comic Collectors program though. Too bad it's $40 foreheadslap.gif

what will you do with all your accumulated collection data if and when CPG ever takes down their website? Seems you might want to maintain a local version in software that will stand the test of time.... or be in YOUR control.

Excel, or a database (they work together) would be the way to go...... depending on the complexity of your data and the number of books. etc..

Good question. What I need to do is periodically print out and save as a hard copy each title that I have in the database. As I have 0 experience with databases and cant stand spreadsheets, that seems like the least painful way for me to backup my info.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm the collectorz thing looks interesting

would "Export data to HTML lists -- Place your comic database on a website, including cover images" mean being able to put it on ebay?

of course, if i have time to index and scan this, i probably have time to put everything in turbolister?

maybe organizing these darn things would be a good first step and then i can figure out my gaps and overduplicates.

hmm the collectorz thing looks interesting

would "Export data to HTML lists -- Place your comic database on a website, including cover images" mean being able to put it on ebay?

No, exported html lists look like the one in my signature.

Additional info from their website:

"Using the Export to HTML feature you can generate HTML pages of your comic book inventory, for use on your homepage or website. You can create one index page listing all comics (with one row per comic), optionally linked to detail pages with one page per comic.

If you want to be able to use your comic data in other programs, use the Export to XML or Export to Text functions. A special export feature is included to export your database for use in the ListPro software on your PDA (PocketPC or Palm)."

Here is just an example of my Excel database. I include my estimates of Wizard values as well as values from www.comicspriceguide.com. I get most of my price info from there since I am too poor to buy OS guides. sumo.gif

I do this for every title I own, and can easily [#@$%!!!] rows anywhere in each title for additional books that I buy, and the totals at the bottom change automatically. I love EXCEL, but I'm an Engineering major, so I've had 7 or 8 more years experience using it extensively than most normal people have had. The only downfall is that I don't think you can put scanned images of your books, unless you create a link to a scan on your harddrive.

databaseex.GIF

I am glad that you brought this up...you know NO ONE has EVER talked about this before. thanks for bringing it up. I would think excel would possibly fits your needs...or of course there is comicbase...and this http://www.collectorz.com/comic/ and probably a few other things out there..

Yo, Dawg! Is the charge only a one time fee for the software? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why did you change your name NightCrawler?

I don't know. A lot of people here weren't using character names as their screen name, so it just didn't feel right. So I switched it to my AOL/yahoo screen name. confused-smiley-013.gif

No problem. Better to do it now. thumbsup2.gif

Guess I'm one of the few who just happen to have a name that is the same as a character in the Marvel Universe. smirk.gif

- Norinn Radd

I was actually just playing around with my Excel Comic Database. I found out that you can actually set hyperlinks in the database. For instance, using my issues of Wolverine (v2) here, in my Excel database

databaseex.GIF

By going up to "insert' along the main menu toolbar, you can set a hyperlink to a specific cell. For instance, I can highlight the cell for issue "10," and set a hyperlink to a scan of my Wolverine 10 that I may have saved on my harddrive or online. That way, you can make your own database to your liking, plus have access to all the scans of your books from it! 893applaud-thumb.gif