• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Dropping Off an Ebay Package

20 posts in this topic

I just sold a huge heavy item on ebay and I see the buyer lives near me. Will be much easier just to drop it off at his house.

I figure he probably won't skrew me over, but is there a way for him to confirm receipt or something or for me to get receipt confirmation as paypal holds my money?

get him to sign a receipt take a picture of yourself in front of his house holding a newspaper.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't try to screw you. He knows that you know where he lives.

Or show up packin' heat. Guy won't mess with you over $50 if he knows you'll come back to his house looking to straighten it out.

i'm available for the back-up guy in situations like this

wildly_fanciful_statement... you won't even let us raise money to send you to Roy's wedding.

perhaps use ebay msg system?.. Have him inspect the item before he takes it & then get him to send a msg to you through ebay saying that he got it & everything is ok which you can confirm that he has via your phone. I'd be sure to talk to him about anything first though he may not even like the idea of you dropping it off your self

I just sold a huge heavy item on ebay and I see the buyer lives near me. Will be much easier just to drop it off at his house.

I figure he probably won't skrew me over, but is there a way for him to confirm receipt or something or for me to get receipt confirmation as paypal holds my money?

I thought you said you were kicked off?

get him to sign a receipt take a picture of yourself in front of his house holding a newspaper.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't try to screw you. He knows that you know where he lives.

If it's in person and not very much money ask to be paid in cash.

After all you are delivering it to him for goodness sake.

I would drop it off at the Water Cooler.

thanks, i figure a positive feedback there might be a good idea if I can get him to do that on the spot. i need it to free up the paypal hold as they are holding on to my money as i haven't sold for years. it is like a 15 pound coffee table book and is HUGE, it will be such a PITA to pack and ship and he lives 10 minutes from me, but a drop off and coordinating with him over a $50 item might get too complicated.

d**ck p: the woman i am married to had her store closed on ebay because apparently one of her employees/roommates is not so fast at shipping. he was admonished.

I've dropped off things in the past -- met people up in the Loop to deliver some comics -- and I've never had a problem. Ever.

The paranoia in this thread is over the top. The vast, vast majority of people are not out to rip you off or screw you over. In fact, eBay even offers a local pick-up option.

i used to do it all the time for stuff my wife was selling -- girly stuff to other gals here in NYC. when we lived in an apartment building sometimes we'd just leave ebay items with the concierge to be picked up, never had a problem, but after the last situation with ebay (where the guy opened a late shipment/non-receipt dispute, received the item (indeed left feedback complaining about how long the item took to get to him) and paypal still refunded him the whole amount (and took it out of my wife's account) because she did not get signature confirmation (because he complained about having that on the last package we sent him because it was a big pain for him) i don't trust ebay or paypal to do the right thing. ever. and i don't trust people either (except my beloved fellow boardies in good standing) (seriously, how can they deduct the money out of her account claiming non-delivery when he left a feedback complaining about how it took too long to get to him? clearly he got the item (we had delivery confirmation), but they pulled the signature confirm buyer protection rule on us.

Why take unnecessary risk? It's not the people you're protecting yourself against, ultimately...it's eBay and Paypal, who long ago proved themselves to have no ethical standards to which they adhere.

If you deliver in person, accept cash in person. Paypal does not accept in-person deliveries as proof of delivery, no matter what evidence you may have.