• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

I don't normally like the shakey POV movies but a Norwegian film I recently saw called 'Troll Hunter' was actually a lot of fun.

Troll hunter is good!

If you can handle shakey, you should watch Frankenstein's Army. Shakey camera movie. Lots of gore. Great monster effects though. Think Frankenstein/Re-Animator with metal.

hm I'll give it a shot. Blair Witch and Cloverfield made me feel ill, too shakey.

I don't normally like the shakey POV movies but a Norwegian film I recently saw called 'Troll Hunter' was actually a lot of fun.

Troll hunter is good!

If you can handle shakey, you should watch Frankenstein's Army. Shakey camera movie. Lots of gore. Great monster effects though. Think Frankenstein/Re-Animator with metal.

hm I'll give it a shot. Blair Witch and Cloverfield made me feel ill, too shakey.

I was going to post the same thing. I can handle shaky cam as done by a director such as Paul Greengrass in the Bourne films, say, but I had to give up on Cloverfield after about 15 minutes.

Troll hunter is good!

I didn't care for Cloverfield's shake camera either, but I thought the camera in Frankensteins Army was done better.

It's low budget and there's lots of downtime - not near constant shakey camera.

Troll hunter is good!

I didn't care for Cloverfield's shake camera either, but I thought the camera in Frankensteins Army was done better.

It's low budget and there's lots of downtime - not near constant shakey camera.

V/H/S has some good use of the "shakey camera" POV. (thumbs u

Dario Argento's "Demons" was the only film that had with it's ad in the paper a strong warning that no one under 17 would be admitted and the people at the theater strongly enforced it. When a friend and I saw it, during one of the more intense scenes, very loud "thunderous" noises could be heard from outside. When we left, the entire street was littered with tree debris (large branches etc.), kind of like the devastation in the end of the movie. It so happened a massive storm with tornado like elements tore through the street!

This will be moved.

But I vote for The Car. So bad azz. I remember years back seeing The Car mini toy in Toys R Us. Could not grab it fast enough to buy it. Was like I found gold. lol. They also came out with the Phantasm cud a model....which I also bought.

+1 The end scene was epic at the time

I will vote for:

Demon Night - Great sound track and scary fun movie.

Event Horizon - Had me checking in the seats around me at the movie theater.

Last but not least was one that was more comedy than horror but still freaked me out as a teen;

tremors_worm-copy_zps2cbd9d72.jpg

Phantasm 2 is a classic.

I also liked:

Re-Animator

In the Mouth of Madness

Ravenous

Wild Zero

Halloween 3

The Fog

The Ninth Gate

The Blob

Pet Sematary 2

Dead Heat

Creepshow

Near Dark

Trick r Treat

The Return of the Living Dead

I could go on and on. Some are so bad they are good (Dead Heat), some are so good they are good.

Just ordered Evilspeak and recently got Terror Vision and The Video Dead. Anyone seen those?

I think The Ninth Gate would appeal to a lot of collectors here (thumbs u

October....PIN is just so creepy....

Anyone here seen Rare Exports?Best Xmas horror ever....if you can handle all the old man -handles- :o

I was at Fantastic Fest when it debuted, but tickets went way too quickly for me to get into a showing. Definitely want to see it.

A few people mentioned Event Horizon. Along with The Ring, that movie holds the distinction of being the only films to really scare the hell out of me.

There's a lot of underrated Horror films. Phantasm II definitely leaps to mind. The first is a classic and gets mentioned a fair amount, but people are usually quiet about the second one which I think is a shame because to me it's easily the best of the series. I can't wait for the fifth one.

If they ever make Phantasm 5. I have been hearing rumors over the last few years and still nothing. People will at least know what username means now lol

They actually filmed it in secret, a trailer is online for it. Just Google Phantasm: Ravager and it comes up. It looks a bit low-budget but like it'll deliver the same Phantasm creepiness as the others.

Dude, I am sooooo excited right now! I have been waiting so long for this.

Phantasm 2 is one of my favorite underrated movies. I met Reggie Bannister a couple of years ago at SDCC. Really a great guy to talk with. Very friendly. We had a great discussion about the double double barrel shotgun.