• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really what is the difference with a cgc 2.5 compared to a 9.0?

130 posts in this topic

So half of the population on the planet is left without an ASM #300… :baiting:

Didn’t you know that after water and bread it‘s a prime necessity? ;)

I have always believed this. lol

Can't we all just realize that we have different preferences? Some of us would never crack open a slab, others do all the time. Who cares? Some people like convertibles, I like a hard top. Big deal. Once it becomes your personal property, you can do whatever you want with it.

Yep

I crack em and keep the case and throw out the comic

It's just my preference

Im cracking one open tonight you want it ?.... top is chipped though... id say its a 7.0

I guess I don't get the whole cracking the slab to read a book thing

Doesn't it cost time and money to get these books slabbed? why would you bother to crack them just to read the damn thing?

Because you are reasonably assured that the book is reasonably graded, and restoration free.

I once bought a Mad #13 or so from a dealer, part of a large purchase of about 100-150 books at a con. I didn't have time to go through each one.

I got home...and the Mad #13, for which I'd paid $30-$40 or so, was missing 10 of the 16 leaves it was supposed to have.

I still have it. I never got compensated by the dealer.

:(

fine-- but to get the slabbed copy, wouldn't it cost you 30-40 bucks minimum (or more)

seems like a lazy perspective not to "have to go through" all the books you are buying prior to finalizing a sale.

I don't know-- I am not out there buying books anymore, maybe my own perspective is out of whack.

When you're at a convention, which has limited time, are you going to be able to go through 100-150 books, counting all the pages?

You're talking about a several hour project.

The point is, I don't have to worry that books are going to have multiple missing pages if I'm buying a slab, regardless of the cost.

that makes sense now-- i apologize for my ignorance on this topic

Can't we all just realize that we have different preferences? Some of us would never crack open a slab, others do all the time. Who cares? Some people like convertibles, I like a hard top. Big deal. Once it becomes your personal property, you can do whatever you want with it.

Yep

It's just my preference

Im cracking one open tonight you want it ?.... top is chipped though... id say its a 7.0

:takeit:

Doesn't it cost time and money to get these books slabbed? why would you bother to crack them just to read the damn thing?

Because you are reasonably assured that the book is reasonably graded, and restoration free.

I once bought a Mad #13 or so from a dealer, part of a large purchase of about 100-150 books at a con. I didn't have time to go through each one.

I got home...and the Mad #13, for which I'd paid $30-$40 or so, was missing 10 of the 16 leaves it was supposed to have.

I still have it. I never got compensated by the dealer.

:(

fine-- but to get the slabbed copy, wouldn't it cost you 30-40 bucks minimum (or more)

seems like a lazy perspective not to "have to go through" all the books you are buying prior to finalizing a sale.

I don't know-- I am not out there buying books anymore, maybe my own perspective is out of whack.

When you're at a convention, which has limited time, are you going to be able to go through 100-150 books, counting all the pages?

You're talking about a several hour project.

The point is, I don't have to worry that books are going to have multiple missing pages if I'm buying a slab, regardless of the cost.

that makes sense now-- i apologize for my ignorance on this topic

No need to apologize. We all have different perspectives, and sharing those perspectives helps us see the world beyond our own experience. What is useful can then be incorporated into our understanding. It's a wonderful thing.

:cloud9:

Yep

It's just my preference

:takeit:

62617BF2-CF03-499C-801C-FF15DFDAC712.jpg

^^

Yah there's nothing wrong with not caring about slabbing, not caring about condition, and enjoying your comics however you choose, and choosing to buy whatever you like. But even so, I don't think unreasonable to see why SOME people DO care about condition, and slabbing, as we ALL have some preferences, and in many cases are willing to pay premiums for things we prefer.

I don't get this either ...

How about I have ASM 300 Slabbed on my wall

Then I buy a reader copy to go with it

My 2c

I am not talking about ASM 300s. The comics I chase don't have 200 options to choose from on eBay. If I pass on a slabbed copy, I might not find another decent one for years....if ever.

Not every book is available in high grade and reader form with the click of a button.

your case seems more unique and specific to perhaps GA books.

I thought we were talking SA, BA, CA type books here. Moderns would make no sense at all.

Yeah, I am not cracking New Mutants 98s. If I want that one ungraded I would buy it ungraded.

seems like an ideal group of books to put into TPB

if those were available for these books, would you still want to crack them anyway>

Some of the pre-code stuff has been reprinted, but I still like to read the originals. It doesn't make objective sense, but neither does insisting on a first print book, an original movie poster, a classic car vs a kit car, or an original toy rather than a repop. We are all crazy in our own ways.

Nah, it does makes sense. I get a kick out of old ads and letter pages, and you don't get those in reprints.

I don't get this either ...

How about I have ASM 300 Slabbed on my wall

Then I buy a reader copy to go with it

My 2c

I am not talking about ASM 300s. The comics I chase don't have 200 options to choose from on eBay. If I pass on a slabbed copy, I might not find another decent one for years....if ever.

Not every book is available in high grade and reader form with the click of a button.

your case seems more unique and specific to perhaps GA books.

I thought we were talking SA, BA, CA type books here. Moderns would make no sense at all.

Yeah, I am not cracking New Mutants 98s. If I want that one ungraded I would buy it ungraded.

seems like an ideal group of books to put into TPB

if those were available for these books, would you still want to crack them anyway>

Some of the pre-code stuff has been reprinted, but I still like to read the originals. It doesn't make objective sense, but neither does insisting on a first print book, an original movie poster, a classic car vs a kit car, or an original toy rather than a repop. We are all crazy in our own ways.

Nah, it does makes sense. I get a kick out of old ads and letter pages, and you don't get those in reprints.

If a slab goes into my collection, it gets cracked and goes into mylar. If I can't (carefully) go through the book then what's the point - for me, at least.